TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masked Man of Mystery

David Lee Roth Radio Show

How many of those four million are attributed directly to Stern though? Not as many as he'd have you think.

You would be very surprised. I know plenty of people that have switched to Sirius solely because of Howard Stern, myself included. Sirius really does not have any other draw besides him. Music? The Internet allows you to download absolutely any song with no charge. iPods make the idea of listening to the radio for music even more obsolete. I can't see many people buying Sirius because of the music it offers.

If it were not for Stern, I really think Sirius would still have under a million subscribers and would not even be close to competing with XM.

I think most of the XM'ers are going to bail on the simulcast show and just listen to the 9-11 show. Actually it makes things easier for me since I wont have to get up at 7 to listen to the show although on days I work Im only gonna get an hour or so. Theres no way Im getting up at 6...

And my guess is that the Free-FM listeners aren't going to go out and buy XM for 2 more hours of O&A. Well maybe a few..

I'll get up to listen to the show on Wednesday since Im off (again) but Im sure that will probably be the last time.

It's a winning situation for the XM listeners, and judging by how many people called in and said 'welcome back, haven't heard you in four years' it won't help the XM sales much

When are they starting? Or are they starting now?

Why do you guys think Stern is pissed? I've been listening all week and can testify that he doesn't give a shit either way. Why would it bother him? Regular radio guys aren't his competition anymore, and by giving away O&A on regular radio less people will feel the need to get XM for them.

Oh believe me, he's beyond pissed; he's just trying to act like it doesn't bother him.

He absolutely hates O&A (calls them nothing but imitators, even though their show is nothing like Stern's is now or was even 10 YEARS ago), and now they've basically replaced him, potentially bringing in many of the listeners he once had.

Hell, he should be pissed for the simple fact alone that O&A know TONS of dirt on him and they're eager to tell it, without him being able to gag order them or really even retort, on regular radio at least.

Why should he care if the audience hasn't followed him? He's getting paid regardless and he doesn't have to worry about ratings anyways, not to mention he already has brought a large amount of people of sirius just for him. If he was so concerned about audience, he would have continued to have a censored show on free radio. HE left free radio, not the other way around.

He's going to make his money, sure. He's guaranteed 500 million dollars. But he also has a lot of stock incentives with sirius (which is why he's currently being sued by CBS radio) which could make him a lot of money. And if he can't generate the subs to help cover his amazingly ridiculous salary...it's not going to be pretty.

Oh, I flicked on WBCN this morning, sounds like Opie and Anthony start tomorrow, I'll be looking forward to listening.

I think Stern sold his stock in January and has already surpassed company expectations, but I don't care either way honestly. I would like to know about what kind of dirt O&A have on Stern...I've heard it's about his family/divorce.

Anthony's sick...Technical issues..and..

1 commercial after 17 minutes. Ugh

They're better than David Lee Roth, but they need to start doing more to keep my attention, semi entertaining banter isn't going to keep me listening, at least. I'll give them a pass until Anthony's better, though.

Anthony's sick...Technical issues..and..

1 commercial after 17 minutes. Ugh

They're better than David Lee Roth, but they need to start doing more to keep my attention, semi entertaining banter isn't going to keep me listening, at least. I'll give them a pass until Anthony's better, though.

Semi entertaining banter is a good half of their show on XM at least..the other half being their bits they do and guests. The banter is a whole lot better though when they can do it for about an hour at a time without commercial breaks and worries about getting dumped out.

And I need to get on the Fat Smash diet like lil Jimmy's on..

Why do you guys think Stern is pissed? I've been listening all week and can testify that he doesn't give a shit either way. Why would it bother him? Regular radio guys aren't his competition anymore, and by giving away O&A on regular radio less people will feel the need to get XM for them.

Oh believe me, he's beyond pissed; he's just trying to act like it doesn't bother him.

He absolutely hates O&A (calls them nothing but imitators, even though their show is nothing like Stern's is now or was even 10 YEARS ago), and now they've basically replaced him, potentially bringing in many of the listeners he once had.

Hell, he should be pissed for the simple fact alone that O&A know TONS of dirt on him and they're eager to tell it, without him being able to gag order them or really even retort, on regular radio at least.

Why should he care if the audience hasn't followed him? He's getting paid regardless and he doesn't have to worry about ratings anyways, not to mention he already has brought a large amount of people of sirius just for him. If he was so concerned about audience, he would have continued to have a censored show on free radio. HE left free radio, not the other way around.

It's all an ego thing with these guys. Remember, Stern is the guy who's actually claimed to have invented everything from talk radio to MTV's Unplugged. To you, a rational person, you may not see why he should care, but to him, having two guys he hates (and who he once successfully got a gag order on) in his old drive time slot, where they will, eventually, be talking shit about him, it does bother him.

All that said, this deal has pissed me off beyond belief. I can't even listen to them this week.

He's going to make his money, sure. He's guaranteed 500 million dollars. But he also has a lot of stock incentives with sirius (which is why he's currently being sued by CBS radio) which could make him a lot of money. And if he can't generate the subs to help cover his amazingly ridiculous salary...it's not going to be pretty.

Crude math time

Howard's contract is 5 years for $500 million, or $100 million per year

Sirius Radio is $12.99 month

4 million new listeners x $12.99/mo. x 12 months = $623,520,000 per year

$623 million > $100 million

I'd say that he has more than justified his amazingly ridiculous salary, at least in year 1.

Guest BGarrett7

For you Bostonians, you're going to be in for a treat with the announcement of Toucher & Rich as the new afternoon show on WBCN starting in June. We here in Atlanta truly lost a great one in Fred Toucher, when his contract wasn't picked up last month.

For you Bostonians, you're going to be in for a treat with the announcement of Toucher & Rich as the new afternoon show on WBCN starting in June. We here in Atlanta truly lost a great one in Fred Toucher, when his contract wasn't picked up last month.

Is this fellow a DJ, or another talk show host?

Guest BGarrett7
Honestly, I don't know what direction their show is going to take. While in Atlanta, Toucher's show was your typical morning show, with the talk show layout and a couple of songs played an hour. I've heard the Toucher & Rich show could be in that same mold, or that it could be straight talk show like O&A. Plus, as far as I know, the show isn't going into syndication just yet, so it's home will be just on WBCN for now. So, if I had to guess, I would say it will likely be the talk format, with songs intermingled. And if it takes off, CBS will probably start syndicating it to other stations and do away with the songs.

Honestly, I don't know what direction their show is going to take. While in Atlanta, Toucher's show was your typical morning show, with the talk show layout and a couple of songs played an hour. I've heard the Toucher & Rich show could be in that same mold, or that it could be straight talk show like O&A. Plus, as far as I know, the show isn't going into syndication just yet, so it's home will be just on WBCN for now. So, if I had to guess, I would say it will likely be the talk format, with songs intermingled. And if it takes off, CBS will probably start syndicating it to other stations and do away with the songs.

All right, I can dig that, although WBCN tends to do more music after their morning slot, I don't have a problem with that

I do. Hardy in the afternoon is fucking entertaining as shit. The 1-2 punch of Adam12 and Hardy is a good combo. 12 has the themed lunch, Hardy has 3 Degrees of Separation (which is always a goody). Plus, BCN doesn't play an abundance of overly shitty music anymore (oddly enough), just the occasional White Stripes and new Pearl Jam tune. Now I'm back to listening to AAF and that bitch Mistress Carrie with her love of grunge (GRUNGE FUCKING SUCKED, GET THE FUCK OVER IT). God dammit...

I wonder if I can convince the president of my company to get XM radio for the delivery van...hmmm...

Adam 12 and Hardy are both good, I do like them, but I'm more a talk show type.

I'd have to say I like the fact that Opie and Anthony end at 9 because I can switch right over to Air America to catch Stephanie Miller, the most entertaining liberal show I've found(and not an official part of AA, oddly, so not everyone gets her)

Crude math time

I'd say that he has more than justified his amazingly ridiculous salary, at least in year 1.

You would be wrong that his salary is anywhere near justified.

From Business Week online:

Sirius loss doubles on Stern compensation

MAY. 2 10:43 A.M. ET Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. reported Tuesday that its first quarter loss more than doubled, due largely to expenses of $225 million in stock-based compensation to its star shock jock Howard Stern. Revenue nearly tripled as the company expanded its subscriber base.

Sirius reported a net loss of $458.5 million, or 33 cents a share, for the January-March period compared with a loss of $193.6 million, or 15 cents a share, a year ago.

By far the largest factor affecting the results was costs for stock-based compensation, which all companies had to begin recording this year under new accounting rules. Sirius reported stock compensation expenses of $284.6 million, of which about $225 million went to Stern and his affiliates, a company spokesman said.

Advertisement

The company said stock compensation costs accounted for 20 cents per share of the loss in the most recent quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial had been expecting a wider loss of 36 cents per share.

On an earnings call with analysts, company officials said they had enough cash on hand to fund their current needs and expect to start turning a profit on a cash flow basis as soon as the fourth quarter of this year. Sirius also said its average cost for acquiring subscribers -- a figure closely watched by investors -- fell 41 percent to $113 in the quarter.

Investors liked what they heard, and sent Sirius's shares up 27 cents, or 5.8 percent, to $4.89 in active trading Tuesday morning on the Nasdaq Stock Market. However, the shares are still closer to the lower end of their 52-week trading range of $4.36 to $7.98.

Revenues rose to $126.7 million compared with $43.2 million in the same period a year ago as the company continued to build up its subscriber base.

Sirius said it had 4.1 million subscribers at the end of the first quarter, having added about 761,000 customers in the most recent period. The company said it now expects to have 6.2 million subscribers by the end of the year.

Both Sirius and its larger rival XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. are spending heavily to sign up subscribers and programming talent to their services, which require special radio receivers and cost about $13 per month.

On the conference call, Sirius's CEO Mel Karmazin said the company did not intend to follow the lead of XM in syndicating some of its programming to terrestrial radio.

CBS Radio, a unit of CBS Corp., announced recently that it was replacing rocker David Lee Roth in Howard Stern's former time slot in several of its stations with shock jocks Greg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, who now work for XM. CBS Radio had fired them in 2002 after they aired a live account of people having sex in St. Patrick's Cathedral.

"It was a great deal for Opie and Anthony," Karmazin said. "We're in the business of getting subscribers to satellite radio."

Karmazin used to head CBS Radio, which had been known formerly as Infinity Broadcasting.

Today Opie and Anthony went on without Jim Norton because he supposedly had food poisoning, and the show was sooo much better. Norton does nothing but disgust me, he's clearly supposed to be like Artie, but instead of being funny, he just says awful, cringe inducing things that if anything make the show less funny. They're still a long way from Stern in my opinion, but they seem to need more time. This thing about naked girls among mouse traps searching for Tool tickets sounds awful, though.

Bitchtits is an acquired taste, I guess. He revolted me at first as well, but his wit and his ability to find humor in the most inappropriate things makes him a great part of the show. I don't like the show as much when Lil Jimmy Norton is away...unless Patrice is there.

Today Opie and Anthony went on without Jim Norton because he supposedly had food poisoning, and the show was sooo much better. Norton does nothing but disgust me, he's clearly supposed to be like Artie, but instead of being funny, he just says awful, cringe inducing things that if anything make the show less funny. They're still a long way from Stern in my opinion, but they seem to need more time. This thing about naked girls among mouse traps searching for Tool tickets sounds awful, though.

The mousetrap bit was better when it was Stalker Patti crawling around on the floor a while back. Nothing says comedy like a 50 year old virgin crawling around on the floor for money. I felt bad for her last week when they had her hold norton's cock for money to pay for new glasses that they had her believe Opie broke. Of course that was on the XM show..

And on the first show for the split, quite possibly the best thing ever was Norton reading from his Tender Sentiments box while everyone else left.

Crude math time

I hate to give actual facts again as opposed to uniformed speculation fueled by Howie math, but I will any way.

From USAToday.com posted on 5/2/2006:

Sirius won't disclose subscriber numbers specifically related to Stern. However, in September 2004, the week before it announced that Stern would join the company, Sirius said it had 662,289 subscribers. It ended the first quarter of 2006 with 4.1 million.

Consumer media research company Bridge Ratings estimates that 1.1 million Stern fans — 8.4% of his terrestrial radio fan base — have migrated to Sirius.

Sirius stock closed Tuesday at $4.88, up 5.6%. XM closed at $18.45, down 1.4%.

Howie certainly is bringing in the dollars and subs to justify his salary :P