TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Failed Bridge

2006 NFL Off-Season

In other news, LeCharles Bentley is officially out for the season with a knee injury after one practice with the Browns.

At least it was *on the field* and not because he was trying to pop a wheelie on a motorcycle...

In other news, Thomas Jones of the Bears strained his hamstring today while taking a physical, thus missing practice.

I swear, someone's going to go out with a staph infection from a paper cut by the time this is over with.

And that is why the Titans have been in salary cap hell the last couple of seasons.

Because they gave their franchise player the money he deversed?

If you watched what the Titans went through with the Salary Cap you would understand what I meant. They were cutting players left and right to try and make the cap, while other teams were smart with their money. Now that the Titans have some cap room they go and blow their load on Vince Young, who has never even played a pro game.

That is a given though, when you draft a QB top 5. That is the price you pay. If you disagree with the system that causes that to happen is one thing, but the Titans didn't really do anything out of the ordinary.

That is a given though, when you draft a QB top 5. That is the price you pay. If you disagree with the system that causes that to happen is one thing, but the Titans didn't really do anything out of the ordinary.

Didn't do anything out of the ordinary? They paid Vince Young, the #3 pick, MORE then the first overall selection!

Because he is a QB. They get paid more. Look at the deal Cutler got as the no. 11 pick.

That is why taking Bush no.1 was a signability issue. Because he reportedly wanted a raise over last year's number one and that was a problem because it was "QB money".

Because he is a QB. They get paid more. Look at the deal Cutler got as the no. 11 pick.

How much of Cutler's money is guaranteed, though? The Titans are taking a huge gamble that Young is going to pan out. I'm not saying he won't, but if he doesn't, the Titans are right back in salary cap hell.

$11 million of it is guaranteed.

There is no doubt that there is a gamble involved here. And if any team fails with a top 5 pick QB they are going to be set back for years (see Smith,Akili; Couch,Tim; etc.).

My point, though, is that it really isn't the Titans' "fault" that this contract was this high. He was a QB picked no. 3, you are committed to a big deal.

Compare to last year's draft.

Last year's no 3 pick was Braylon Edwards, he signed for $40 million with $20 million guaranteed as a WR (who tend to get less).

Also compare it with Cutler's slot.

Last year's 11th pick was DeMarcus Ware, he got $13 million with $10 million guaranteed, as a DE (position priced at a premium usually).

Last year's 10th pick was Mike Williams, he got $13.5/$10.5. Nominal difference at best compared to Ware as WR isn't paid at the premium other positions are.

Last year's 9th pick was Carlos Rogers, he got $17.5 million. I can't find his bonus. Still a noticeable difference between 9-10 and 10-11, as CB is typically a premium paid position as well.

So back to looking at Edwards getting $20 mil guaranteed. Considering the typical yearly increase (Cutler's 10% guaranteed increase over Ware) + a premium position increase (DE,CB,QB,OT usually as well) and the Young deal isn't out of line.

Sorry if this rambles a bit, but I am looking over my shoulder at work doing this.

Interestingly, the Eagles and Bunkley aren't apart on money but rather the length of the deal. Eagles want a six-year deal and Bunkley/his agent want five.

Are the other draft picks getting five or six year deals?

The signings of those relevant to Bunkley, Cutler (11th) and Wimbley (13th) got six, Michael Huff (7th) got five. He needs to just sign for the six and be done with it.

Another problem, though, is that they are gunshy about how the Eagles do business with the young players. They don't like how Shawn Andrews is already signed through 2015 and they think signing for five years instead of six will give them leverage. I don't understand the point though. If the Eagles come to you to talk about restructuring and Bunkley doesn't want to at the time, the player is allowed to say no.

Guest DaGoodz
"That must be why he enjoyed it," said Owens on McNabb's comments that his recent autobiography, "T.O.", was a "children's book." Owens then added "I was thinking of him when Jason and I were drafting it. We wanted those who scored 14 on their Wonderlic to be able to enjoy it too."

SONNED

One of the current rumors floating around is that Denver will trade whiny WR Ashley Leile to the Bears for whiny RB Thomas Jones.

It would probably be best for all involved, as Jones will be the #2 RB behind Cedric Benson for Chicago, Leile is probably going to be the #3 WR behind Rod Smith and Javon Walker for Denver, and both teams could use an established player at the positions they'd be getting.

The signings of those relevant to Bunkley, Cutler (11th) and Wimbley (13th) got six, Michael Huff (7th) got five. He needs to just sign for the six and be done with it.

Another problem, though, is that they are gunshy about how the Eagles do business with the young players. They don't like how Shawn Andrews is already signed through 2015 and they think signing for five years instead of six will give them leverage. I don't understand the point though. If the Eagles come to you to talk about restructuring and Bunkley doesn't want to at the time, the player is allowed to say no.

Haloti Ngata just signed for five years. Perhaps the team should compromise and give him the five year deal with an option for a sixth.

Well, everyone can still have faith in Arizona....

How in the hell did they go 5-11 last year with a top 10 offense and defense plus Neil Rackers who i believe only missed 2 FG's?

Well, everyone can still have faith in Arizona....

How in the hell did they go 5-11 last year with a top 10 offense and defense plus Neil Rackers who i believe only missed 2 FG's?

Simple...

No Rushing Attack...

They were the #1 passing team in the NFL, but last place in rushing. But signing Edgerrin James will help deeply, they certainly will not be last place rushing next year.

They have a decent enough defense IMO, so they'll be fine. I doubt they will take the divison from Seattle, but they will make wildcard, and will be a force for the years to come.

They won't make the playoffs. Their offensive line is terrible. Edgerrin will help the run game a bit, but he won't have his usual season behind that line. Plus, the QB's are going to get slaughtered.

They won't make the playoffs. Their offensive line is terrible. Edgerrin will help the run game a bit, but he won't have his usual season behind that line. Plus, the QB's are going to get slaughtered.

How do you know their offensive line is terrible????

They had injuries to it last season. Did you watch any of their games? The offensive line is not the greatest, but it's above average and will be good enough.

Guest Vitamin X

Most people overlook it, but really, the offensive line is probably the singular most important position(s) in football. The lack of such such led to Green Bay, San Francisco, and Houston all finishing with some of the league's worst records, among a couple other things, but primarily o-line play is so crucial, that I won't be surprised to see Arizona finish 8-8 simply because Edgerrin James might not have any holes to run through. Remember, he had arguably the best line in the league blocking for him his entire NFL career up to this point..

This counts for New Orleans too, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bush demands a trade somewhere else by the end of summer if it gets any worse. He's not a big guy, and he could get killed playing behind that horrible line.

Also, A.J. Hawk signed a 6-year, $40 million deal with Green Bay. Missed the first day of training camp, but he'll be in for the rest. I'm psyched to have him on the team, and it's good to see Green Bay was able to lock up all of their league-high 12 drafted players for camp.

Most people overlook it, but really, the offensive line is probably the singular most important position(s) in football.

I spent hours arguing this with someone the other day. He said defense, I said offensive line. I'd like someone to point out a Super Bowl winner that didn't have a good (even great) offensive line.

The Chiefs have had the best O-Line for years, and where did it lead them? I agree on Offense it's the most important thing, but defense matters the most.

Guest Vitamin X
Most people overlook it, but really, the offensive line is probably the singular most important position(s) in football.

I spent hours arguing this with someone the other day. He said defense, I said offensive line. I'd like someone to point out a Super Bowl winner that didn't have a good (even great) offensive line.

Maybe not all defense, but run defense in particular, yes. Despite the flashiness of the passing game, football is really at its core about the running game. Control the clock and the ball, and you control the game. Too many teams (starting with the 2000 Ravens who began the horrible trend) got lazy and just started doing this until they realized the way to be a really dominant squad was the ability to stop the run AND put up points quickly. That's how blowouts happen, my friend.

And at that core, if you don't have a good enough offensive line to matchup against a tough front seven, you won't win. Bottom line. Houston actually has a very good offense- they just desperately need an offensive line. If they and Indy's o-line switched, I won't say their records would've also, because David Carr is no Peyton Manning, but they would've been close.

Guest Vitamin X

Also, Tiki Barber might be considering retirement?

Tiki Barber ready to leave football for right opportunity

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer

July 28, 2006

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Consecutive record-setting seasons hasn't stopped New York Giants running back Tiki Barber from thinking about life after football, possibly even after this season.

The 31-year-old Barber said after his first practice at training camp on Friday that he would consider retiring after this season if the right opportunity came along.

The NFL's second-leading rusher last season with 1,860 yards, Barber could not describe the perfect job opportunity but he admitted that he got a few offers that interested him this past summer.

The Giants' career rushing leader turned them down because he feels that this team can win a championship and get him that cherished ring.

"I honestly feel we can compete for a Super Bowl this season," said Barber, who is entering his 10th season. "I am telling everyone on our team and you guys if you want to listen, that we can get there. That we should be able to get there as long as we stay healthy, as long as we all believe that."

Coming off an 11-5 season that won them the NFC East title, the Giants are an improved team. All 11 members of the offense are back and the defense has been upgraded with the signing of three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington and three new players for the secondary.

While winning a Super Bowl would fulfill his dream and possibly hasten his retirement, Barber isn't solely interested in football. He has many interests. He has worked as a television on-air personality for years, doing a special this summer in New Orleans on the USS New York, a ship being build partially from steel taken from the World Trade Center.

Barber also has dabbled in the financial world and written three books with his twin brother, Ronde, a football player with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The two are under contract to write two books for adolescents.

"I have a lot in my life already mapped out," Barber said. "I know that some inside and outside of this organization probably aren't happy with what I have been doing. It's my dream and my passion, just as football is.

"I know that I have a focus and when camp starts, I shift to this (football)," Barber added. "What I do in my offseason is my business even though it is in the public eye. I'm excited for new challenges in my life and we'll see what happens with this season, and possibly next."

Now a member of the 30-plus crowd, Barber isn't slowing down. He has had four straight seasons of rushing for 1,000 yards, including team records of 1,518 yards in 2004 and 1,860 last year.

"It's funny because I keep telling myself there is no way I'll do that again," Barber said. "I keep exceeding my own expectations, which is encouraging. It shows me at 30 last year and 31 this year, I am still young."

Barber, who two years ago shed his problems with fumbles, would not mind sharing the halfback load this season with second-year pro Brandon Jacobs and third-year pro Derrick Ward. They combined for 73 carries and 222 yards rushing last season, a 3.0 yard average. Barber lugged the ball 357 times, averaging 5.2 yards.

Barber feels his two backups have made progress and they are ready to lighten his load.

Whether coach Tom Coughlin uses Jacobs and Ward remains to be seen.

"Like I do every season I prepare myself for whatever," said Barber, who is under contract until 2008. "If I have to carry the ball every snap, I'll do it. If I get half of them, that's what I'll do as well, as long as it is helping us win."

If Barber feels his game is slipping or that an injury is limiting him, it would make him consider retirement.

"I know very well my career could end without my biggest dream coming true," Barber said. "But I want to try as hard as I can and to the best of my ability to get that so I won't be the guy who was the greatest rusher in Giants history but ..."

Barber hesitated for a few seconds, then finished: "I would like to close this life the right way."

This counts for New Orleans too, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bush demands a trade somewhere else by the end of summer if it gets any worse. He's not a big guy, and he could get killed playing behind that horrible line.

1. Reggie knew what he was getting into when he went in the draft.

Hell, he almost went to Houston which has an even WORSE O-Line and has shown no inclination towards fixing it.

2. As far as the Saints' O-Line goes, it may not be pretty but it's better than what they could have ended up with. (And better than what a few other teams have)

Losing LeCharles Bentley and gaining Jeff Faine at center turned out to be a positive move, as Bentley blew out his knee and will be out the whole year while Faine should at least see the field this year.

Dumping LT Wayne Gandy and promoting Jon Stinchcomb to RT is the riskiest thing they've done in the offseason. They may end up pulling off a deal to bring in a veteran if Stitchcomb can't cut it.

Moving Jammal Brown from RT to LT shouldn't hurt the line, although it helps Drew Brees at the expense of Bush (RT being primarily a run-blocker while LT pass-blocks on the QB's blindside).

If Reggie and Brees can make it until next season, I forsee the Saints picking up several new linemen in the draft to replace RT Stinchcomb and possibly LG Montrae Holland

3. Most plans I've heard for the Saints backfield have both Bush and Deuce on the field at the same time, meaning Bush will likely be lined up as a slot-back.

If so, it means he'll be less dependant on the line than Deuce, as he'll likely be getting tosses and passes rather than handoffs in the backfield.