TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

TNA's first house this March?

Apparently, one of TNA's first house shows is going to be in Michigan this march. Here's what PWI reported today:

The Michigan Independent Wrestling Central website is reporting that TNA will hold a house show on Friday 3/17 at the Compuware Sports Arena in Plymouth, Michigan. The word going around is that The Insane Clown Posse's Psychopathic Records will be promoting the show. WIWC is reporting that tickets will go on sale via Ticketmaster this Monday. As noted awhile back here on PWInsider.com, TNA was negotiating with the WrestleBirmingham promotion about purchasing shows that would use TNA talents and legends, and there is also an expected ECW Arena date in Philadelphia forthcoming, headed by Jeremy Borash.

I don't know how confirmed this is because TNA hasn't sent out a release yet, but man, if this is true, I think it's great news. It's definitely the first step to taking the PPVs on the road and this may be the best way for TNA to do with risking everything. I'd say this is good news. Thoughts?

Taking the ppv's away from Orlando is not a bad move IMO. They need to be very selective where they do house shows and how many they do because house shows can kill you very quickly and TNA isn't out of the red just yet.

I don't think they should be trying to go that far north at the moment. Seems like it would be a better idea to stick around the southern states near their headquarters in Orlando. Branching out to Georgia, Tenn, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana would be a good idea though.

If the border issues woudn't be too much they could draw large up here in Canada. Lots of TNA marks 'cause of guys like Team Canada, Joe, Raven, Sabin and others who do work in Ontario indys.

Just getting Bret Hart to become something like "The Financial Backer" or some shit for Team Canada and have him appear every few weeks would propel the ratings too. They should take the money that once went to Nash & Hall and send it up Bret's way to do something like that.

Saw an interesting question about this show on another board and thought I'd pose it here: Would it be worth lugging the 6 sided ring up there? I remember when they first got them that they order two, so I don't think they'd have to take down the Impact set to do, but still...should they bother or just use a four-sided ring like they did with their "test show" in Canada this September? I think if there goal is to exposure new fans to the TNA product, they almost have to take the 6 sided ring out on the road....b/c you don't wanna risk losing any new fans gained live when they tune into the show and see something totally different than what they saw on the road.

I'd say if they're really going to start doing TNA house shows, they would have to use a six sided ring, because that's one of the main things that makes TNA, TNA.

If they could ever scoop up Bret and/or Jericho, I wouldnt even waste time and do a house show "test run" in Canada ASAP, even likely trying out their first out-of-Orlando PPV up there too. I think it would work wonders with having either of those draws (and yes, they are such in Canada) up there.

Otherwise, its really hard to say when and how they should do house shows, other than they need to be VERY careful on it. If they could get Sting to work house shows, that would be a significant boost to the theory that TNA can actually make house shows work. Also, though, the main thing is that they would likely have to hire alot of more established employees from other companies to really spearhead this effort 110 percent. WWF and WCW had a guy who really worked hard with the house shows (Zane Bresloff?) but I believe he passed away not too long ago. They need someone like him, who would really have experience in the field and could promote the house shows locally extremely strong.

I think the first step is at least getting the ppvs OUT of Orlando and then once you get a good gauge on how good (or bad) that result is (and you'd have to do it for a good 3-4 months of ppvs in different locations) then you go from there with the house show plan. There's no excuse they couldnt at least return to Nashville (and a larger facility in the Nashville Auditorium) and maybe Atlanta also, as those are two close "wrestling friendly" areas.

This thing is gonna be full of Juggalos if ICP is on the card. Good thing it's a house show.

On the other hand I could use a Violent J NWA World Title run.....

Apparently they ran what could amount to another "test show" last night in VA, with an almost entirely TNA line-up and Jeremy Borash present and announcing. Here are the results, from PWI:

I attended the UWF show at Greensville County High School in Emporia, VA. Just thought I would pass along the results and what not.

The gym in the school was pretty packed around ringside. The bleachers... not so much. But there was still a lot of people in attendance. Surprisingly, with the exception of two or three people around me, nobody even knew what TNA was. I had to explain to the guy next to me why we kept chanting TNA after high spots.

Jeremy Borash comes out and welcomes us to the UWF Buckle Up 2006 tour, featuring stars from TNA wrestling.

Match #1: D-Lo Brown vs. "The Prince of Punk" Shannon Moore

Moore came out to Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People," which got many of us who actually watch TNA excited because we thought it was Christopher Daniels coming out. Anyways, the match was decent. Nothing big to speak of. Brown with the pinfall after a Sky High. Moore throws a fit after a losing.

Match #2: Matt Hyson (formerly Spike Dudley) vs. Sonjay Dutt

Major heat for Sonjay, surprisingly. To his credit, he played off of it really well and came off good as a heel and had the people booing him from start to finish. Not a whole lot to speak of here either. Hyson with the win after some kind of pinning combination.

Match #3: Ron "The Truth" Killings vs. Sonny Siaki

We got a "Rocky" chant going. Siaki did the usual heel thing and told us we sucked. Pretty entertaining match. Shannon Moore interfered and distracted the ref and hit a low blow on Truth and Siaki scores the pin fall with a roll up.

Match #4: Sabu vs. Abyss in a UWF Hardcore match with Special Guest Referee Al Snow

Pretty much what you expect out of Sabu and Abyss. Hard fought match, high spots from Sabu, and the crowd was pretty split as I don't think either man got booed and both got chants. Sabu looked to have won the match at one point, but Snow said it was only a two count. Abyss comes back and hits the Black Hole Slam. Abyss picks up the win. After the match, Sabu and Al snow get into an argument and start brawling. It eventually gets broken up.

Jeremy Borash comes out and says we will have an intermission.

Match #5: The Diamonds in The Rough (Elix Skipper and David Young) vs. The James Gang (Kip and BG James)

James Gang (coming out to Billy Gunn's old music) came out and actually did the whole New Age Outlaws promo, stating they were 7 time WWF Tag Team Champions, and even referred to themselves as Road Dogg Jesse James and Bad Ass Billy Gunn. Really comical match. Kip got the crowd to start a You Suck chant at the ref. James Gang pick up the win after Kip hits the Fameasser on Skipper.

Match #6: NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett vs. "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles

This is one of two main events for the evening. Jarrett says he appointed his own special referee but he wasn't here yet and he's not going to wrestle till he gets here. Dave Hebner comes out and says that this is UWF and Hebner makes the rules. The referee for this contest will be none other than Dave's brother, Earl. Me and three other people got a Drop the Belt chant going. Jarrett kept throwing the belt up in the air and catching it right before it hit the ground. The third time he did it, AJ jumped up and took the belt and climbed up on the turnbuckle and posed with it. Very good match. Great heat for Jarrett and tons of face pops for everything AJ did. Jarrett tried using a guitar but Dave Hebner took it away. Good back and forth action between Jarrett and Styles. Shannon Moore comes out and beats up on AJ with Jeff Jarrett till AJ comes back. The match was awarded to AJ Styles by DQ. NASCAR's Hermie Sadler comes out and tells Jeff Jarrett that he is banned from all UWF shows. AJ leaves to a great crowd reaction.

Match #7: Team 3D vs. NWA Tag Team Champions America's Most Wanted

Brian Hebner reffed this match. Devon demonstrated power early on. He is actually really built. I never really noticed before. Pretty typical match but with a lot of comedy. After the initial Tables chant, me and the same three people who started the Drop the Belt chant got a Flaming Tables chant. Brother Ray shot us a look like we were crazy. When Cowboy James Storm got in, we got a Brokeback Mountain chant going. Another crazy look from Brother Ray, but he later used the Brokeback Mountain reference. Just in case you didn't know, Brokeback Mountain is a movie that just came out about gay cowboys. AMW brought one of the belts into the ring only to have Devon use it on one of them while Hebner was knocked out. Hebner came to and counted the three count. Jeremy Borash announces that Team 3D are the NEW NWA Tag Team Champions. While they celebrated, another referree by the name of Mike Smarts came down and told Brian Hebner what happened and the decision was reversed and 3D was DQ'ed. 3D then put Smarts through a table for "screwing" them out of the titles. Team 3D told AMW that tomorrow night in South Hills, VA, they will be facing them in a Tables Match for the Tag Titles.

Honestly... I have never been that in to a wrestling show ever. These guys worked their asses off to entertain us and they were really well received by the crowd. The good thing is that so many people were opened up to the TNA product and hopefully we'll get a handful of new fans for TNA. I hope this means TNA house shows for my area, because I won't miss a single one!

This thing is gonna be full of Juggalos if ICP is on the card. Good thing it's a house show.

ICP need to be guest announcers on iMPACT!

Oh shit! That faggot Jarrett just ripped AJ Styles' heart out with a fucking ninja claw weapon! So help me Guido if he does that again Ill have to go down there and rectalfy the situation!

I wonder what the attendance was for the house show last night. That sounded like a pretty deep lineup and good show. Have it a hard time to accept hardly anyone knew TNA that went to the show like that guy said.

I wonder what the attendance was for the house show last night. That sounded like a pretty deep lineup and good show. Have it a hard time to accept hardly anyone knew TNA that went to the show like that guy said.

Yeah me too...why would they go to show with AJ Styles and AMW in the main events if they were familiar with TNA, unless we except that Jarrett and Team 3D drew them (which I don't think most around here would. :P) But either way, that line-up is probably the closest we've come yet to a real TNA house show. Even the show in Canada with Jarrett/Raven only had a few matches that featuring TNA talent...and had some matches that ran counter to TNA's storylines IIRC. This show looks like it was booked by TNA's booking committee. About the only thing missing is Christian.

I wonder what the attendance was for the house show last night. That sounded like a pretty deep lineup and good show.

Meltz said they drew about 600. He also said that they are doing another show tonight, only without AJ or Jarrett. Here's what he posted about the show:

They have another show tonight in South Hill, VA without Jarrett (helping set up the PPV) or Styles (working ROH). Said people there enjoyed the show in a wrestling starved market but people were just doing enough to get by, because nobody wanted to be banged up for Sunday

Meltz also listed an early line-up for the Michigan show. Here's what he posted:

ICP will be promoting the first TNA house show on 3/17 at the Compuware Sports Arena in Plymouth, MI with Jarrett vs. Rhino (or Christian), Sabu vs. Abyss, Samoa Joe vs. A.J. Styles, AMW vs. Naturals and more.

More matches, this time from PWI:

Monty Brown vs. Chris Sabin, Ron Killings vs. Bobby Roode, Alex Shelly vs. Petey Williams, plus Sharkboy, A-1, Konnan, Eric Young and more.

Guest flair4thegold

I think I've read where Shane Douglas lining up some shows in Pittsburgh and Philly at the old ECW arena. I think the Philly fans would be a good gauge on how well TNA may do outside of the orlando market.

I think its smart to stay in smaller venues, instead of trying to fill up the larger arenas that WWE doesn't even fill out now.

I like the idea of them also going to canada. I think that will help them in the short term and long run.

A press release has been issued by one of the sponsors, according to PWI. Here it is:

Bizzar Tours, Ltd., Detroit based promoter and national touring company, is proud to announce the production of a TNA Wrestling Live show in Metro Detroit!

National television sensation TNA Wrestling Live is hosting their first show outside of Orlando, and it’s coming only to Detroit! The Motor City has some of the greatest wrestling fans in the world, and they have an exclusive opportunity to see TNA Wrestling Live in the flesh, sweat, and spotlights!

Airing nationally in a Saturday night spot on Spike TV, TNA is one of the most popular sports entertainment organizations in the world, but this show is just for the die-hards of Detroit, and won’t be seen on TV or anywhere else. It will be the Total Non-stop Action that fans expect, with 10 matches and plenty of surprises, featuring names like Abyss, A.J. Styles, America’s Most Wanted, The Naturals, Sabu, and Samoa Joe, topped by the Main Event Match pitting Jeff Jarrett against Rhino, battling for recognition in his home town!

Bells ring at 8PM on March 17th, 2006, at the Compuware Sports Arena in Plymouth, MI, just off of M-14, at Beck Road, easily accessible by all the freeways on Detroit’s west side. Doors for this all ages show are at 7PM, and tickets are available through Ticketmaster and at the box office. Bizzar Tours, TNA Wrestling Live, and the Compuware Arena are thrilled to host this exclusive show, and they want to see everyone there, from the life-long fans to the youngest newcomers. They want to stress that this will be all-ages entertainment, directed at a family audience, and with tickets starting at only $10.00, this is a show that no wrestling fan can miss!

TNA Wrestling Live

Main Event: Jeff Jarrett vs. Rhino

Tag Team Match: America’s Most Wanted vs. The Naturals

Other Matches:

Samoa Joe vs. A.J. Styles

Sabu vs. Abyss

Team Canada’s Bobby Roode vs. Ron “The Truth” Killings

“Alpha Male” Monty Brown vs. “Flying High” Chris Sabin

Plus many other stars of TNA Wrestling!

Hmm, how about no? The less those two chumpstains have to do with wrestling, the better.

You know, if that is going to be a normal TNA house show line-up then I am so there. Joe, Brown and Styles all on one card? Plus Killings AND Abyss. I mean DAMN!

If that thing had Christopher Daniels it would be a "holy shit" card.

Hmm, how about no? The less those two chumpstains have to do with wrestling, the better.

Stranglemania (and all its spawn) is a million times more entertaining than anything Vince has been shoving down peoples thoats for years.

TNA issued a release about it today too. Mike Johnson said that they are looking to do 4-6 more shows in the next few months, with the ECW Arena probably being the next stop after Detroit.

TNA issued a release about it today too. Mike Johnson said that they are looking to do 4-6 more shows in the next few months, with the ECW Arena probably being the next stop after Detroit.

I am SO there.

So for shits and giggles, let's start the guessing game. Whaddaya think they'll draw in Michigan? I'd say if the line-up stays the way it is, they'd get about 1,000. If they add Christian, 3D and Sting, they'll push 1,500.

Cool, so lets say they do six more shows....

1. ECW Arena

2. Somewhere in Canada again.

3. Atlanta, not sure where here, maybe the old spot they used to do the WCW Sat Night tapings?

4. Nashville, old fairgrounds spot

5. Jersey or Buffalo

6. Strong house show somewhere in FL

That might not be a bad start.

Cool, so lets say they do six more shows....

1. ECW Arena

2. Somewhere in Canada again.

3. Atlanta, not sure where here, maybe the old spot they used to do the WCW Sat Night tapings?

4. Nashville, old fairgrounds spot

5. Jersey or Buffalo

6. Strong house show somewhere in FL

That might not be a bad start.

I think that'd be a great start for them. You gotta think they'll eventually run the building in Buffalo that ECW used to hold their shows in. I'm not sure whether or not they'd do the fairgrounds again, or maybe even Nashville period, since they had to heavily comp those earlier shows.

I moved from Nashville to North Florida middle of last year; that said, if they went back and did a show there...I'd go up for that. The building CAN have a good live atmosphere.