TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jm29195

Edge's good matches

Guest jm29195

I was just watching Raw and thinking that Edge has now got a pretty decent back- catalogue of matches behind him....WWE could easily release a profile dvd along the lines of the Mysterio release with a small feature and 10 or so matches. I would take them from this selection...

Edge/Sable vs Mero/Jacqueline- Summerslam 1998 (Edge’s PPV debut)

Edge vs Owen Hart- Breakdown 1998

Edge vs Jeff Jarrett- Fully Loaded 1999 (Edge’s first IC title reign)

Edge/Christian vs Hardys- No Mercy 1999 (The Ladder Match)

Edge/Christian vs Hardys vs Dudleys- WM 16

Edge/Christian vs Hardys vs Dudleys- Summerslam 2000

Edge/Christian vs Hardys vs Dudleys- WM 17

Edge vs Christian- Rebellion 2001- (the best match in their series, often overlooked)

Edge vs Angle- Judgment Day 2002

Edge vs Angle- 2002 SD Cage Match

Edge vs Eddie- SD September 2002 no DQ match

Edge vs Orton- Vengaence 2004

Edge vs Benoit vs HHH- Raw December 2004

Edge vs HBK- Raw Street Fight January 2005

Edge vs Matt Hardy- Raw Ladder Match- October 2005

Edge vs Cena- NYR 06

Edge vs Flair Raw 16/01/06

What other standout matches has Edge had during his WWE career?

Edge v. Eddy from Unforgiven 02 is probably my favourite Edge match.

Also enjoyed the cage match v. Matt Hardy and his Backlash 02 match v. Angle.

Edge v. Batista from RAW in 2004 is a really good match as well.

I would add to that list:

Edge/Hogan vs Storm/Christian solely because it was Hogan's only WWE Tag Title reign.

There was a good cage macth on SD! between Edge and Jericho. IIRC one of them got injured here, don't remember exactly who it was.

From the SmackDown Six Era:

Edge/Rey vs Angle/Benoit from No mercy 02. MOTY without a doubt.

Edge/Rey vs Angle/Benoit 2/3 falls match from SD!

Edge vs Benoit vs Angle vs Eddie from SD! December 2002 (I think this was for the #1 contendership for Armageddon)

Yeah Edge is a very solid performer when in the ring with someone that's a great wrestler. I've always called him The Blank Slate since he literally is a blank slate that depends on the level of his opponent to determine how good the match is. If he's wrestling an excellent opponent (Eddie, Angle, etc) there's a good chance the match could be excellent. Put him in with the A Train or the Big Show and it likely would be a tedious affair.

I'm not saying he has to be carried all the time to a great match, but I've yet to see him really carry anyone himself.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

I think this set would be more suited for a real hardcore Edge fan. Besides the ladder matches, which we've all seen 80 times (and probably own on the Mania discs) there's nothing here that I'd buy a seperate 30 dollar set for. This isn't the Flair or Bret disc where they had five or so matches that were great and it was nice to have in one spot. This is a bunch of good matches, yes, but good enough for a casual Edge fan to plunk down the cash? Not really.

It's interesting that most of these matches are ladder/TLC matches, multi-man matches, tag team matches, or all of the above. While he definitely played a significant role, Edge is not necessarily what makes a lot of these matches great.

That said, I'd add Edge vs. Storm from Summerslam, the 2001 KOTR finals (not a great match, but a major career achievement) and a couple more of the Edge vs. Christian matches, including their ladder match. I wish they'd handled that feud better.

Anyway, I'd almost rather see an Edge & Christian DVD, though that's obviously not going to happen now. They had some really good matches that aren't on this list, including vs. the Hardyz from NWO 2000, vs. the Hardyz at Unforgiven 2000, a really solid 6man tag with Angle against Too Cool & Rikishi at Judgment Day 2000, and of course all the great skits and the Conquistador stuff.

Guest jm29195

I forgot to add-

Edge vs Jericho- Global Warning dvd- Australia 02

Edge vs Benoit- Backlash 05

Edge vs Storm was an excellent match that I'd totally forgotten about but it's right up there

and of course all the great skits and the Conquistador stuff.

¡Si Señor! ¡Uno! ¡Dos! (Those Conquistadors were awesome.)

The kazoos and streamers skits were great.

And that Rebellion match vs Brock w/ Heyman was great, too. I second that one, and I can't believe I left out the MITB match and the SSlam match vs Storm.

There's also the ladder match vs the Hardys on the first RAW on TNN. Terrific match, greatly overlooked.

One that really gets overlooked is Edge/Christian vs. The Hardys at NWO 2000. It was just a regular tag match, but far and away the best match between those two teams. There weren't any ladder spots, but there also weren't any 5 minute resting periods. Even with the dumb Terri interferrence, the match was great and Edge's post-match interview really planted the seeds for their heel turn after Mania.

I'd also agree with the sentiment of Edge being a blank slate as a singles competitor. Although, oddly he has great chemistry with Randy Orton. Both guys usually have to be in the ring with someone exceptional for a good match, but for some reason they complement each other just right.

One that really gets overlooked is Edge/Christian vs. The Hardys at NWO 2000. It was just a regular tag match, but far and away the best match between those two teams. There weren't any ladder spots, but there also weren't any 5 minute resting periods. Even with the dumb Terri interferrence, the match was great and Edge's post-match interview really planted the seeds for their heel turn after Mania.

I *loved* that match. Everyone talks about the Hell In A Cell at NWO 2000 (for obvious reasons), but the Hardys/E&C match is always criminally overlooked for me. Oh, and the Dominator on Jeff Hardy after the match was f'n NASTY.

is unforgiven 02 the one where edge had a concussion and eddy won with a powerbomb & pulled the tights just to be a dick? that was the best performance i've ever seen out of him. he was like sting with the fighting spirit through the pain and the teased comebacks, he looked like he'd really done his oldschool babyface homework and he did everything right. i remember one spot near the end that was just edge winning a simple slugfest, but he really put his heart into it and made it look convincing.

Yeah Edge is a very solid performer when in the ring with someone that's a great wrestler. I've always called him The Blank Slate since he literally is a blank slate that depends on the level of his opponent to determine how good the match is. If he's wrestling an excellent opponent (Eddie, Angle, etc) there's a good chance the match could be excellent. Put him in with the A Train or the Big Show and it likely would be a tedious affair.

I'm not saying he has to be carried all the time to a great match, but I've yet to see him really carry anyone himself.

Don't group A-Train with Big Show, although Big Show isn't that bad either, A-Train is probably the best hoss out there right now, and his matches with Edge were surprisingly decent.

Other mentions:

Edge Vs. Jericho Vs. Batista - SummerSlam 2004

Edge Vs. HHH - RAW in Japan 2005

Edge & Christian Vs. Shawn Michaels & Randy Orton - IIRC This was the E & C Reunion Match, but right after they lost the match, Edge lost it and started beating up Christian.

Edge Vs. HBK - RR and Gold Rush Tournament Semi-Finals

Edge Vs. Kane - Vengeance 2005, best match out of their lackluster feud

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

Don't group A-Train with Big Show, although Big Show isn't that bad either, A-Train is probably the best hoss out there right now, and his matches with Edge were surprisingly decent.

I've seen decent Big Show matches. Hell, I've seen GOOD Big Show matches. Can't say the same for Albert. And that Edge series was the one that really, IMO, exposed Edge. Because as soon as he got out of the SD6, Boy-O did those Albert matches suck.

I've seen decent Big Show matches. Hell, I've seen GOOD Big Show matches. Can't say the same for Albert. And that Edge series was the one that really, IMO, exposed Edge. Because as soon as he got out of the SD6, Boy-O did those Albert matches suck.

A-Train has had good matches with Benoit, Rey, Kane, Undertaker and Jericho.

If you count WCW days, The Big Show's (or in this case Giant's) match with Sting from Slamboree 96 is way better than any A-Train match I've seen. I think Benoit had a good match with him too, I wanna say from Clash 96... And Show's had some good matches with Lesnar and Angle too.

I never got into much A-Train did, personally. His match with Kane (I think where DDP interfered) was way better than it should've been, but hardly spectacular. And in all honesty, out of all the people who've wrestled him, who hasn't had at least one decent match with Benoit?

Edge had 3 of the best matches of his career when he was tag teaming with Rey Mysterio.

The 2/3 falls match against Benoit/Angle, the triple threat at Survivor Series, and the WWE Tag Team final match at No Mercy (all from 2002).

And in all honesty, out of all the people who've wrestled him, who hasn't had at least one decent match with Benoit?

Billy Gunn. Benoit tried his best, but Gunn was just terrible. He gassed out in five minutes and almost dropped Benoit on his head a few times.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
If you count WCW days, The Big Show's (or in this case Giant's) match with Sting from Slamboree 96 is way better than any A-Train match I've seen. I think Benoit had a good match with him too, I wanna say from Clash 96... And Show's had some good matches with Lesnar and Angle too.

He's also had some fun matches with Hunter

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

And when exactly was this Albert/Benoit match? I'm not denying that it happened, because that whole group (Angle/Benoit/Cena/Big Show/Brock/Albert) fought a lot for a couple months. But I don't recall this match, and a good Albert match would have at least been memorable. Was there some circumstances around it that would trigger my memory?

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
Benoit got something out of Albert at No Mercy on 2003, and a few times on SD.

Okay. No Mercy was a decent match.

That fatal four-way leading into Armageddon 2002 is still my favorite TV match of all time. It was supposed to be Eddie vs. Benoit vs. Angle vs. Edge, but over half of the match was just Edge vs. Angle. They had a really good story with Edge selling the pre-match beatdown (from A-Train of all people), and it was one of the first times where they set up the whole babyface fights all the odds only to have him just lose clean to the heel at the end.

The story was woven into the match so well though, that were at least ten believable near-falls for Edge, just off of random semi-finishers that you wouldn't expect to end that kind of match if it hadn't been done so well. I must have watched that match 20 or 30 times before I lost the recording.