Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

Kobe or LeBron

Who will have the better career?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Kobe Bryant
    • LeBron James

I've been all over the LeBron bandwagon since his rookie season, calling him the next Jordan on many occasions. However, now I'm starting to wonder if Kobe won't end up with a better career when it's all said and done. He's doing things that no perimeter player's done in history scoring-wise, and he's already got three rings. He's been in the league for a long time, but the fact is that he's still only 27, and may just now be hitting his peak.

Obviously, LeBron's got loads of potential as he's only 21, but it's hard to say if that potential supercedes what Kobe has already accomplished. LeBron's way ahead of where Kobe was at 21, but that may be a function of the changing attitude toward HS players, and the different situations they were brought into (a rebuilding project vs. an established contender). Anyway, I'm curious where people stand on this. Which player do you think will have a better career?

I'll say Kobe. Until Lebron starts showing that killer instinct that Kobe has and Jordan had, I'll stick with Bryant. I think Wade could end up ahead of Lebron and that isn't a knock on Lebron.

Still got it Kobe-Wade-Lebron in terms of who ends up with the best career. I can see Wade getting one or two rings with or without Shaq.

LeBron won't win 2 titles, let alone three. Kobe could still end up with 4 or 5. I think that's pretty much all that matters since LeBron will probably end up with the career scoring mark barring an injury, but Kobe will end up top 4 or 5 too.

Lebron could perhaps win some titles but he has to get away from Cleveland. Let's face it, the idea of "Cleveland Cavaliers: NBA Dynasty" just brings on a feeling of cognitive dissonance.

I voted for Kobe by the way. He's already got 3 rings and now he's busting out 80 pt. games.

Let's face it, the idea of "Cleveland Cavaliers: NBA Dynasty" just brings on a feeling of cognitive dissonance.

So did the Chicago Bulls at one time. That was a joke franchise before...

LeBron's gotta win some titles before I put him over Kobe.

Lebron's gotta make the playoffs before I put him even close to Wade and Bryant.

I'm still picking A.I over Lebron right now. The forgotten guard of the NBA I swear.

Until Kobe wins titles without Shaq, I'm going to hold off on giving him too much credit for them. Let's let him carry the team without the big man before showering too many championship accolades on him.

LeBron still has a lot of time unless he gets seriously injured. If he continues to get better and better I can easily see him at Kobe's level in 3-5 years. However, Kobe has accomplished more now than I can see LeBron accomplishing anytime soon, and Kobe may just now be hitting his prime. Of course, only time will tell, but I'd say Kobe will end up wiht the best career. Wouldn't be suprised if he breaks 100 points either.

Until Kobe wins titles without Shaq, I'm going to hold off on giving him too much credit for them. Let's let him carry the team without the big man before showering too many championship accolades on him.

I don't agree with that statement, it can go either way...Shaq needed Kobe, too, ya know...Shaq couldn't do it alone in Orlando and he hasn't gotten it done in Miami WITH Dwayne Wade. Even this year, they're not the favored ones to win the title, Detroit and San Antonio still stand above them.

Guest Princess Leena

Forget titles, because the LeBron of today would have been winning titles with Shaq and the rest of those Laker teams earlier this decade... and 80-point games mean nothing.

As of now, LeBron is the better player. LeBron's a more accurate shooter, at least while Kobe hasn't had Shaq. LeBron has more rebounds. LeBron has more assists. LeBron has more steals. LeBron doesn't piss off the best player in the league, and force him off his team.

I'll take LeBron every day of the week.

At first I was inclined to say Kobe. History will look very kindly on a player that won 3 championships and had historical personal achievements (the 81 point game).

However, in the context of the time he played, he was never the best player in the league, and as of this point, has no MVPs or league scoring titles to his name. His titles came when he was the second best player on his team. If his most productive years come for an average team struggling to make the playoffs, it's hard to make an argument as an all-time great capable of carrying a team on his back.

With Lebron, the jury is still out on what sort of player he turns into. But the ceiling is obviously much higher with LBJ. I don't think that it takes a stretch of the imagination to see him winning a couple of MVPs and scoring titles in the next 5-10 years. As long as he can pair that with a championship or two, he slides above Kobe on the all-time great list.

At first I was inclined to say Kobe. History will look very kindly on a player that won 3 championships and had historical personal achievements (the 81 point game).

However, in the context of the time he played, he was never the best player in the league, and as of this point, has no MVPs or league scoring titles to his name. His titles came when he was the second best player on his team. If his most productive years come for an average team struggling to make the playoffs, it's hard to make an argument as an all-time great capable of carrying a team on his back.

With Lebron, the jury is still out on what sort of player he turns into. But the ceiling is obviously much higher with LBJ. I don't think that it takes a stretch of the imagination to see him winning a couple of MVPs and scoring titles in the next 5-10 years. As long as he can pair that with a championship or two, he slides above Kobe on the all-time great list.

Saying Lebron James having a "much higher" ceiling then Kobe Bryant is fucking ridiculous. I know it's the "in thing" to hate Kobe, but he's the most talented player in the NBA, and has been since MJ retired (The first time).

Saying Lebron James having a "much higher" ceiling then Kobe Bryant is fucking ridiculous. I know it's the "in thing" to hate Kobe, but he's the most talented player in the NBA, and has been since MJ retired (The first time).

It is not ridiculous in the least to assume that the ceiling is much higher for Lebron. Kobe is a phenomenal player, but he is 27 already. That's not to say he's reached his peak as a performer, but for the most part, we know what we are getting with him. He is a great scorer, defender and ruthless competitor. But he doesn't do a whole lot to make his team better. Unless he can drag a team to another NBA finals, we've probably seen all that we will out of him.

Lebron is 21 years old, and is right now a better passer and rebounder than Kobe, and not far off as a scorer. He is light years ahead of where Kobe was at the same age. It is much more likely that he continues to develop and produce at a historical level than it is to think that Kobe will do something remarkable in his remaining years.

He's your namesake and you can't remember which retirement you meant?

LeBron is a better passer, rebounder, and team player, and he's also 6 years younger than Kobe. The fact that we're comparing the two when one is 6 years younger than the other, shows that the younger guy is one hell of a player. If he's probably just as good as Kobe now, whos to say he won't improve when he's Kobes age? I'll take LeBron.

LeBron will be the better player, but he will not have the better career unless he gets out of Cleveland. Question is who will have the better career, and Kobe will.

LeBron will be the better player, but he will not have the better career unless he gets out of Cleveland. Question is who will have the better career, and Kobe will.

Quoted for emphasis. There's also the matter of Kobe already having all of those years in the bank. There's no guarantee LeBron stays healthy and it would take him at least 5 years just to match what Kobe's already done. It might be nice if he could you know, make the playoffs at least once. I'm also curious why LeBron's complete lack of defensive prowess and clutch shot making ability never comes into play when discussing him.

Guest Princess Leena
hard to beat people in the assist category when you have to carry a whole team by yourself.

And the rest of the Cavs are so much better than the Lakers? It's not like the Lakers don't have talent. Odom has ball handling and shooting talents that very few 6'10 guys have. Mihm has a high shooting %.

Basketball is a team game. Kobe should be working to make his young teammates better, and build some confidence in them.

Kobe's 27? He's about to hit his prime! 28-35! DO YOU DISAGREE?

35 is far, far beyond the prime years of an athlete. For most players it's downhill after 30. I've never read about NBA players as a group but I would assume they peak slightly earlier.

As it stands right now, Lebron has a big hump to get over considering Kobe's head start.

I think Lebron will have a very good NBA career... but it won't be in Cleveland

Kobe's 27? He's about to hit his prime! 28-35! DO YOU DISAGREE?

I think you also have to weigh in the fact that Kobe has been playing professionally since he was 18. The wear and tear of playing 82 games per year, plus all the playoff games could significantly shorten his career. I wouldn't be surprised to only see 4 to 5 more years of high-level production.

hard to beat people in the assist category when you have to carry a whole team by yourself.

And the rest of the Cavs are so much better than the Lakers? It's not like the Lakers don't have talent. Odom has ball handling and shooting talents that very few 6'10 guys have. Mihm has a high shooting %.

Basketball is a team game. Kobe should be working to make his young teammates better, and build some confidence in them.

Lamar Odom is so soft. He'd rather shoot a fadeaway jumper then turn around and shoot a jump hook. He'd also be better served if he shot the ball in the lane instead of passing it out.

Another thing. LeBron has to make 4 NBA finals, 5 conference finals, and win 3 championships to have a career near to Kobe's. We aren't talking about the better player, that's a totally different topic. That shit will never happen.

It doesn't matter if you have a second great player on your team, because as far as I've seen, there's never been a team with one great individual player (head and shoulders above everyone else) that has ever won a championship. Iverson's 2000-2001 team is as close to it as you will ever see.

Another thing. LeBron has to make 4 NBA finals, 5 conference finals, and win 3 championships to have a career near to Kobe's. We aren't talking about the better player, that's a totally different topic. That shit will never happen.

909 hit it on the head, I can't say it any better...when LeBron gets all those accolades, regardless or whether Kobe had Shaq or not, then we can talk. We're talking career, not better player, and I still think even that is highly highly debatable.