TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

Favourite Obscure Country

I know it was said in A:TB, but I've been saying it for awhile now, since Canadians/New Zealanders are, for the most part, outwardly and audibly indistinguishable from Americans/Australians, but refer to them as such and they'll become very indignant

Niger. Only because of the confusion it caused as a child.

Yeah. There's Niger and Nigeria. Natives of Nigeria are called Nigerians, right? So what they call people who live in Niger? Seriously.

I got this straight from the CIA Factbook:

Nationality:

noun: Nigerien(s)

adjective: Nigerien

Well, you've all been waiting for it, right? Yes. Djibouti is a relatively small African Coastal Country in the East. I was fortunate enough to have gone on a missions trip to Djibouti for 2 months in the Spring and early summer of 2003. The people there are very kind, and there are very few conflicts. They are, however, quite impoverished. Not much oil for gasoline, only 3 paved airstrips in the country, I believe, and The water reserves west of the coast are few and far between due to a lack of transportation, but really a lack of infrastructure on all accounts.

I'm always going to partial to Djibouti, though, because of this one scene that plays over and over in my head. This young girl 6 or 7 years old, came to me while I was telling the kids about snow. She asked me "How would we know its snow if we see it?" Not knowing how to answer, I just said...you'll know it when you see it. The next morning I took all the ice that I had rationed off to me from my portable ice box and shaved it down into some of the fluffy white stuff, and I took it with me to class that day in a cooler. I had the kids come up and feel it, and taste it, and then they all made snow balls and had a snowball fight, there was quite a mess, but it was worth it. So, thats where I get my name. Djibouti is OK with me.

since Canadians/New Zealanders are, for the most part, outwardly and audibly indistinguishable from Americans/Australians,

I wouldn't say audibly indistinguishable, at least not in all cases. I mean, seriously, anyone who can't tell the difference between a Newf and someone from Texas just by hearing them speak is probably deaf.

I know that's an extreme case, but still; it's not like we all sound exactly the same.

I've never put a Canadian flag on anything I own.

Besides, I *know* I have a thick accent. You know how, with accents, people who live in the same area you do aren't supposed to be able to tell? Like, to a British person everyone else has accents, and not them?

I've had people who live less then half an hour away from me tell me I have an accent.

Well, you've all been waiting for it, right? Yes. Djibouti is a relatively small African Coastal Country in the East. I was fortunate enough to have gone on a missions trip to Djibouti for 2 months in the Spring and early summer of 2003. The people there are very kind, and there are very few conflicts. They are, however, quite impoverished. Not much oil for gasoline, only 3 paved airstrips in the country, I believe, and The water reserves west of the coast are few and far between due to a lack of transportation, but really a lack of infrastructure on all accounts.

I'm always going to partial to Djibouti, though, because of this one scene that plays over and over in my head. This young girl 6 or 7 years old, came to me while I was telling the kids about snow. She asked me "How would we know its snow if we see it?" Not knowing how to answer, I just said...you'll know it when you see it. The next morning I took all the ice that I had rationed off to me from my portable ice box and shaved it down into some of the fluffy white stuff, and I took it with me to class that day in a cooler. I had the kids come up and feel it, and taste it, and then they all made snow balls and had a snowball fight, there was quite a mess, but it was worth it. So, thats where I get my name. Djibouti is OK with me.

That's like some Mother Theresa shit.

since Canadians/New Zealanders are, for the most part, outwardly and audibly indistinguishable from Americans/Australians,

I wouldn't say audibly indistinguishable, at least not in all cases. I mean, seriously, anyone who can't tell the difference between a Newf and someone from Texas just by hearing them speak is probably deaf.

I know that's an extreme case, but still; it's not like we all sound exactly the same.

Well, yeah, but Torontonians probably sound like people in other Great Lakes cities

Probably, but the point I was trying to make is that we're not totally audibly indistinguishable. Sometimes you can tell whether a person is American or Canadian just by their accent. Sure, sometimes you can't, but still.

Well, yeah, but Torontonians probably sound like people in other Great Lakes cities

No one in Ontario wants to be referred as Torontonians. No one, especially in Hamilton. Even people from Toronto want to be called Torontonians.

How many Torontonians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

I'll assume you set this one up for me to knock down:

2.5 million. One to actually screw the bulb in, the others to talk about how world-class the light bulb is.

And as long as I'm naming obscure capitals, coupled with your Liecthenstien reference two pages ago, N'Djamena is the capital of Chad. Speaking of, we gotta play Jeopardy again soon.