TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 57: Couture vs Liddell III

Just because Monson would lay on Werdum the whole time doesn't mean he's a better grappler. Of course Werdum could throw sub after sub on him in the U.S. and still lose but that's beside the point.

UFC pre-TUF got around 50,000-60,000 buys on average. Their biggest buyrate pre-TUF was 150,000 for Tito/Ken, which was considered HUGE. They managed to break 100,000 on a few occasions (Tito/Chuck, Ken/Kimo) The lower-end shows did around 35,000 buys.

So yeah, Liddell/Couture III is projected to do nearly 7x the buy the first did (which did 49,000), and in just about 2 1/2 years. I'd say that's not bad :)

Though I think 350,000 is a tad high. I'd say maybe 280,000, possibly 300,000. Anything in that range is still fantastic (300,000 x $40 = 12 million... let's say the UFC takes half that, that's $6 mil, plus about $4 out of the gate with some merch, let's say they keep $3 mil of that, that's $9 mil in revenue plus probably a mil or two in sponsorship... puts em around 10 mil in rev. Fighters pay would probably take up 750,000 (Couture and Liddels taking up half of it), and then you'd have other staffing expenses, so let's say 1 mil in total staff costs, and let's say another mil or 2 or 3 in whatever other costs would be associated with the event... that's like 5-7 mil in pure profit. Even if you want to cut some more off, they are at least getting 3 mil in profit any way you slice it. That's insane.

Just because Monson would lay on Werdum the whole time doesn't mean he's a better grappler. Of course Werdum could throw sub after sub on him in the U.S. and still lose but that's beside the point.

While I agree with in spirit, according to most submission wrestling rules (and seemingly the judges of many MMA events), Monson's takedowns and control make him one of the best submission wrestlers in the world via 3-0 tactics.

Guest Army Eye

After watching the card again , this time without a room full of people, I take back what I said about Mir. The grade on Mir is "inconclusive". He was really just unlucky that Pe De Pano was able to open a gusher dumping blood straight into Frank's eye with one shot. I thought Mir had gotten owned on the ground but it was really just one good shot and he had no chance after that due to the blood.

It was a good card, but the importance of the main event dwarfed everything else by so much, and that match was a letdown. So it's a thumbs up for this event but not a huge thumbs up IMO

Did you hear that fucking crowd? How in God's name could this be considered a letdown?

It could be compared to Hogan/Andre, in that the match itself sucked but the atmosphere was out of this world.