TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 57: Couture vs Liddell III

They have all the pressure on them at this moment to deliver. This is when the UFC had to show something, as this was a card where one of their superstars would have their credibility damaged (or retire as it were) and they would have to have some new ones arrive. On top of all that, they still had to hope that the fights would be good/solid in order for newer funs to get hooked.

They responded with a great fucking card. Motherfucking beautiful.

Guest Brian

After how last year slowed down given the last two-to-three shows, they're kicking off their big year with a big show that delivered. Chuck's gonna make a lot of money this year.

On a side not and a what-if, I think if Randy won he was planning on filling out his coffers and fulfilling his contract. Another defense at the end of the year (Babalu) and another Tito fight would have been huge. As is, I hope he returns to Team Quest in Oregon and finds spare time working as a strength and conditioning coach for professional athletes, as he has shown exceptional ability in doing that. As for the former, I hope that the Vegas thing was just him basking in the money he was making in the twilight of his career and he returns to the team that he built.

One of the hugest positives in this show of fucking awesome positives is that they managed to do something no PPV in the past has done and that's showcase some viable new blood in the heayweight division. Vera, Pe De Pano, Monson and even Aldana are guys to build up. After Arlovski murders Sylvia we'll need some fresh meat.

Randy came in with the same gameplan he had in the second fight. He seemed tentative to throw any kind of strikes on Chuck which was why he got knocked out yet again. I think that the KO in the last fight had a large effect on him, despite my comments to the contrary earlier. I guess he felt that the only way he could win was by taking Chuck down and that really hurt his chances of winning, IMO. I think his confidence suffered as well when Chuck got up so fast from the takedown, and you also have to question whether he was really all in the fight, seeing as how he retired immediately after. Great career for Randy, lots of ups and downs but I think the way he bounced back from those downs was what really defined his career as a fighter and a person.

I'm really looking forward to Chuck/Babalu II now, not to mention Ortiz's involvement in things. I'd really like to see Rampage in the Octagon if things don't work out with him and Pride. He would be a huge draw for the UFC. Great card.

Just curious: How much do UFCs cost to order and on the replay, so they include the prelims? I'm stuck waiting for the DVDs for the foreseeable future, with only an antenna for TV, but I'd like to know for the future

I really think Monson will give Arlovski ALOT of problems.

Really? He's a great grappler, but Arlovski has good takedown defense and he should whoop Monson's ass in standup. Monson looked good against Hinkle but he's a D class fighter to say the least.

I'm gonna go ahead and be a dick and guarantee a Randy victory. I thought Chuck's victory in the last fight was flukish to say the least so this fight I'm looking for a repeat of their first encounter. If anyone wants to make an avatar bet, I'm game.

I responded to this in the positive. I almost overlooked it too. Don't try to weasel your way out of this one!

Monson is the scariest mma guy i've see yet. He just seems like he's strong as fuck, and smart. I'm not knowledgable about his ability to strike, but he seems like the type of guy that could out-grapple anyone that's anywhere near his size, and he looks tough enough to take a few hits in the process.

I think Monson's getting way too much credit on here for beating someone like Hinkle. Lei hates watching him fight, I'm sure he could exand on Monson a bit more.

Just give me an avatar, Paragon. If I'd have known Randy was retiring afterwards I woulda picked different :P

- It's not really suprising the Hinkle fight wasn't boring to watch, as BLH is a ballsy fighter who could bring it to Monson and give him a problem here or there, but was unskilled enough that Monson could actually attempt to push the action and finish with the semi-rare "I'm a Strong Motherfucker in North/South Choke." However, put him against someone who knows what they're doing on the ground (like Gonzaga or PDP), and prepare for the dry humping of a lifetime.

- Comparing Monson's wrestling to Randleman's or even Matyushenko's is inaccurate. He has good takedowns, but let's not forget that Hinkle stuffed his first attempt like he it was nothing. Monson also got slammed around like a ragdoll against an un-obese(?) Ricco. He has nothing on the UFC 32-era Ricco that beat a young Andrei, and compared to Matyushenko, he has better submissions and positioning skills, but worse takedowns and striking power.

- As far as weaknesses go... well, in spite of rumours to the contrary, Monson is the same he's always been standing (strong, but not with much else), he's not as a great a finisher as his record against novice grapplers would suggest, and his frame severely limits his agility (like trying to take BLH's back) and makes him completely without offense on his back. He likely beats BJJ stylists like Gonzaga, PDP and Mir, and get's obliterated by the likes of Arlovski, Vera, and possibly Sylvia.

Nogueira and Werdum are also far superior on the ground when compared to Monson, but Monson's probably the best on the ground among non Brazilians HW's. Him against Mir or Barnett would be interesting.

Lei Tong is awesome, he's so objective and balanced with his analysis, I know almost none of the people he's talking about, but when I read what he posts it just makes me feel more knowledgeable about MMA :)

SO basically Monson normally just stalls like a big mofo (Using his strength to hold the other guy and get a cheap decision) it was not normal for him to finish as impressively as at 57 (that's what I'm gathering from Lei Tong)

Actually, Monson finishes a lot (or has as of late) because, by and large, all but a few heavyweight MMA fighters can't grapple worth a shit. Kerry Schall, for example, looked like a complete and utter buffoon on the ground against Fedor back in RINGS, yet was able to gain a reputation as a "good submission fighter" due to the suckage of HW MMA grappling. However, agaisnt someone who knows what they're doing (and in pure grappling), Monson is pretty content to simply lay there and do nothing but ride an opponent.

Also, I'm completely and utterly biased against that bastard Monson. BOMB ATT!

I'm normally indifferen to boring fighters (as they're easy to ignore), but Monson also brings roid rage antics (whereas PDP bitches and moans to get his way, Monson tackles refs and gets naked) to the table. Also, I had the pleasure of watching the first ever ADCC World Championships (the most prestigious no-gi submission wrestling tournmanet in the world) on American soil last year, and watching Monson bring down the entertainment level of the weekend (along with his Amazonian teammate Juliana Borges) earned both even more scorn from me.