TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 58: Canada vs USA

Less then a month till what could be quite possibly one of the most nerve-wracking fight nights of my life as an MMA fan. Let's get it.

Card so far (confirmed by the official UFC website)

David "The Crow" Loiseau vs Rich "Ace" Franklin ©- UFC Middleweight Championship

"The Prodigy" BJ Penn vs Georges "Rush" St. Pierre

Joe "El Dirte" Doerkson vs Nathan Marquadt

Rumoured fights:

Diego Sanchez vs John Alessio

Yves Edwards vs Mark Homnick

Kenny Florian vs Sam Stout

Seth Petruzelli vs Rob "Can-Cop" McDonald

Canada's already lost the entire PPV when they announced they were holding it in Vegas. We'll get maybe a 1% endoresement from that crowd and I imagine GSP and Loiseau are the only ones who have an actual shot at getting cheered. Hopefully people will remember Mardquadt as the guy that boned the UFC's first live fight card (I don't count the TUF1 finale) and cheer Doerkson.

I'm rooting for Loiseau but very much expecting Franklin to retain so if The Crow gets fucked up I won't be too disappointed. GSP on the other hand is another story. I'm not ready to see him lose, 'specially not to Doughboy.

Canada's gonna look pretty bad when we get shut out. Well, maybe MacDonald can pull it out. GSP might too, considering BJ's ring rust.

I was about to call you pessimistic, but then I looked over the card again.

So yeah, Team Canada's getting skullfucked.

I'm rooting for Loiseau but very much expecting Franklin to retain so if The Crow gets fucked up I won't be too disappointed. GSP on the other hand is another story. I'm not ready to see him lose, 'specially not to Doughboy.

IIRC Loiseau's got some wicked elbows so if he's gonna beat Ace that's how he'll do it. That being said, I don't see that happening.

I'm curious as to what weights BJ's most recently fought at.

Hopefully people will remember Mardquadt as the guy that boned the UFC's first live fight card (I don't count the TUF1 finale) and cheer Doerkson.

Takes two to tango. Salaverry didn't help matters in that match either by being largely ineffective. Speaking of which I'm surprised that they didn't throw him in this card.

Nathan Marquardt is a great wrestler with great standup and a BJJ Black belt. He's a top five fighter at MW as well as generally being an exciting fighter. Cut him some slack. I personally thought Salaverry was to blame, as it wasn't the first the time he froze up fighting a top guy after looking real good. (vs. Lindland at UFC 39)

I haven't seen a bad Dirte fight, so he'll definitely push the pace to Marquardt, and that's all a fight really needs. When two fighters decide not to fight like Nate and Ivan did, you get shitty fights. I don't think you'll get that with Doerkson in there.

Also added:

Mike "Quick" Swick vs. Stephane "Simba" Vigneault

AWESOME~!

Man, they really like Canadians coming off of losses.

Also, Marquardt is a capable wrestler, but not a great one. He is well rounded, though.

Full Card

Rich Franklin vs David Loiseau

BJ Penn vs Georges St. Pierre

Nathan Marquadt vs Joe Doerkson

Diego Sanchez vs John Allesio

Yves Edwards vs Mark Homnick

Kenny Florian vs Sam Stout

Mike Swick vs Stephane Vigneault

Tom Murphy vs Christophe Midoux

Jason Lambert vs Rob McDonald

This card needed some ma'fuckin Donald Ouimet. A picture of him and Dana White smiling their seedy smiles would make my day.

Guest Retro Rob

UFC is reporting on it's site that Diego had to withdraw from his fight due to illness, and the listing of him and Alessio is off the card, but the link to the actual article is dead.

Fisher's a soft WW, and I wouldn't be suprised if he was already walking lower in anticipation for a future LW debut.

However, even if drained, he has the ground skills to submit Stout handily.

At his best, Yves would stand a decent shot of beating Fisher. However, chances are Yves would be more than happy to let Spencer tee off on him and offer little in return en route to a Unanimous JD loss.

I've been impressed with Fisher in the couple of bouts I've seen of him. And frankly, anything that stops me from hearing the nickname "KenFlo" is ok by me...

The preview on SPIKE for the show was ok, but it was really rushed - they could have done the entire thing on St. Pierre/Penn and I would have been happy. They glossed over the majority of Penns time in the UFC and completely wrote Sherk out of UFC history by not only not talking about GSP's performance against him, but for also saying that St Pierre got on his knees after the _Trigg_ fight (of course, St. Pierre just called out Hughes after the Trigg fight, didn't get on his knees and beg for a title shot). Hughes did the most to put over Penn, IMO, by saying he wants Penn to win so he can have a rematch, Dana spinning it as "BJ needs to prove it wasn't a fluke" doesn't really work.