TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 58: Canada vs USA

Guest Brian

Sportsbet has both Franklin and GSP at +190 and I'm tempted to put money down on both of them. GSP I feel more confident about.

Guest Brian

Ye of little faith.

For once, I'm completely and solidly behind my prediction of a GSP win. I have no doubt, no bad energy at all, no need to reassure or question myself. Confidence breeds good energy.

Ye of little faith.

For once, I'm completely and solidly behind my prediction of a GSP win. I have no doubt, no bad energy at all, no need to reassure or question myself. Confidence breeds good energy.

Uh oh.

BJ Penn via RNC Rd 1

Guest Brian

Not today. Not today. I'm completely unfuckwitable today in my vision. As of my prophetic dream yesterday, I only have one thing left to wonder: when St. Pierre lands that first elbow, will it be blood or maple syrup that flows out of the cut?

That fight is ridiculously hard to call. BJ would have an advantage normally, but he's facing a guy on a roll who is running through the division, while he's been inactive pretty much for a good long time against solid competition. He definitely should have taken a couple of tune-up fights.

Still a toss up thoguh, because I heard BJ has been training very seriously for this one. If he puts GSP on his back that will be bad.

Guest Brian
That fight is ridiculously hard to call. BJ would have an advantage normally, but he's facing a guy on a roll who is running through the division, while he's been inactive pretty much for a good long time against solid competition. He definitely should have taken a couple of tune-up fights.

Still a toss up thoguh, because I heard BJ has been training very seriously for this one. If he puts GSP on his back that will be bad.

I'm sure that St. Pierre's going to be putting the double to work all night, putting Penn on his back, working briefly from his guard with elbows, and pulling out before anything can go wrong. The training with the Gracie's and the video I saw of him and Cote working out tells me that much.

I have faith, like Curry and Brian do. Should be a hell of an event. Who's up for a Roundtable Monday at 5 to discuss the aftermath?

4:30-5:30 might be okay. I'll wait for other opinions and we'll sort out a time that's good for everyone.

Man, that weigh in crowd was HOT for GSP-BJ. I hope they go nuts tonight.

I'm excited for this. If anyone needs/wants a semi-live update, let me know cus I'm watching this on the same screen my comp is hooked up to, so I can switch between rounds/and or fights (with pip no less)

Guest Brian

I thought St. Pierre would take him down more, as it seemed like that was his best gameplan. A win is a win, money is money.

Is 'The Crow' really running like a scared bitch as sherdog is reporting?

He ran a lot in the 2nd and 3rd round

I'm not sure why, because if he'd pressured more he could have won that fight.

It was odd as hell, he should have just thrown that high kick all night, rich franklin's arm might have snapped in half.

Good fight, but weird tactics by the crow

Guest Brian

He threw good but he didn't throw nearly enough. He got torn up as a result.

I didn't see the show, but I did read an article in the paper about three guys on tonight's card being from London. It was mainly focused on Mark Hominick, but also mentioned Sam Stout and Rob MacDonald.

Stout used to (and possibly still does) live just a little down the road, and during the few years I went to school in this area, I had a decent crush on his sister.

Anyhow, it's cool that 2 of the 3 managed to pick up wins, especially if Yves Edwards is pretty much considered the top lightweight in the fed.

Well I went to a sports bar and ate and drank while watching the fights.

Good night but everyone was booing The Crow like crazy for running.

I heart Matt Hughes though and I can't wait to see him fight again.

What title did GSP win? I swear they announced the other dude as being a champion or something. Maybe I'm crazy.

BJ beat Hughes 2 years ago for the Welterweight Belt and never lost (or defended) the title.

At LOTCs house we did the Chute Boxe Huddle and Jump in celebration of GSPs win.

I am hearing mixed reactions to Loiseau/Franklin - on one end I am hearing it was this big time war, and the other end is Loiseau is a pussy. I dunno where I stand, though I would like to stand on the big time war side.

BJ beat Hughes 2 years ago for the Welterweight Belt and never lost (or defended) the title.

At LOTCs house we did the Chute Boxe Huddle and Jump in celebration of GSPs win.

I am hearing mixed reactions to Loiseau/Franklin - on one end I am hearing it was this big time war, and the other end is Loiseau is a pussy. I dunno where I stand, though I would like to stand on the big time war side.

He was a pussy for a while. By the time he decided to fight it was too late.

Oh and why does BJ have a claim to the title? Or does he have no claim? I mean Hughes is the champ now right?

At UFC 46 (Early 2004) BJ Penn defeated Matt Hughes to become the Welterweight Champion.

After the fight BJ competed in K-1, against UFC's wishes, against Dwayne Ludwig. UFC stripped BJ of the title because they dont want their champions fighting in other companies at the risk of them losing.

At UFC 50 (Late 2004) Matt Hughes defeated Georges St Pierre to become Welterweight Champion as the vacated title was put on the line (St. Pierre was still in his rookie year in the UFC having defeated Karo Parisyan and Jay Heiron earlier in 2004).

To put it in wrestling terms, it's like if Batista came back and said to Kurt Angle, "I'm the true champ".

I wanted GSP to go out there and beat the fuck out of Penn. I knew it wouldn't happen, but that's what I wanted. I knew the best strategy for him was to score takedowns and out-point BJ. That's what he did, so I'm not disappointed in the quality of the fight. I am surprised that BJ wasn't more aggressive with the takedowns. I have the feeling that after the successful striking in the first round, BJ figured he should continue the stand-up game and rather than play it smart and go for takedowns he played it confident and content. GSP won the fight, but I don't think he proved he was out-right better than BJ since BJ did more total damage. GSP did prove he was a smarter fighter and took advantage of BJ's confidence. Why BJ would let GSP close the distance against the cage is a bit baffling.

I assume LT is drinking the pain of Fisher losing away.

Im drining the pain that YPOV again outpiked me w/deatails.

Diegos wreslting > diaz TD defense

stout > spencer cutting on2 dags notice

PS-drinking again. dont epexcy shit tiel tomorrow.