TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Is there going to be an Ironman movie?

Since making Marvel comics into feature films seems to be the "THING" now. I'm wondering is there any plans of an Ironman film? As a child, I loved reading Ironman comics, and he was one of my favorite heros of all time.

Also who would you cast as Ironman and War Machine?

There was a report sometime during the last year that Tom Cruise had his sites on an Iron Man movie, with himself as Tony Stark.

Guest Starks

New Line have had the rights to an Iron Man movie for the past 4 or 5 years. The rights to the movie have lapsed back to Marvel due to inactivity, and they will produce the film under their new financing deal, with Universal to distribute it.

Nick Cassavetes (John Q, The Notebook, the soon to be released Alpha-Dog(getting great buzz) ) is about 1 month into pre-production.

Rumored for the role of Iron Man so far are: Ryan Phillippe (Ugh) and Matt Dillon (could work).

IMO they should look at casting Billy Crudup (Almost Famous, Big Fish, MiIII) or Timothy Olyphant(Deadwood, Gone in 60 Seconds, Go).

If Jim Rhodes is going to be in the film they should cast Terrance Howard.

Over the next 10 years or so nearly all of the film rights to Marvel's properties are going to divert back to them, so the potential for crossovers will be huge.

There was a report sometime during the last year that Tom Cruise had his sites on an Iron Man movie, with himself as Tony Stark.

Yeah, and so did Justin Timberlake. *gag*

George Clooney could do it, he's got that suave debonaire look

He would've made a decent Batman if he'd been in a better movie

While he'd certainly make a better Iron Man than Batman, my gut reaction is to shudder at the idea of Clooney playing a super-hero ever again.

I'm with Jerk on this one.

The idea of Tom Selleck as Iron Man intrigues me, but realistically Selleck is a good 10 years too old for the part, at least by Hollywood standards.

As much as I hate Clooney he would be great for the part. A part of me thinks Brad Pitt could do well in the role.

Matt Dillon could really work. He can act, and has the look.

I've always thought Cary Elwes would be the ideal Stark. He's work as Strange, too.

My only issue with that would be the Tony Stark moustache. Dillon looks like a huge douche with a 'stache. :P

Matt Dillon could really work. He can act, and has the look.

I've always thought Cary Elwes would be the ideal Stark. He's work as Strange, too.

My only issue with that would be the Tony Stark moustache. Dillon looks like a huge douche with a 'stache. :P

Tony hasn't had the 'stache since Heroes Reborn. Nowadays he has a goatee instead of a 'stache, which opens up more actors for the part.

That said, Clooney is the only person I can fucking see play Iron Man. With the right script, it could wash the taint of Batman and Robin off of Clooney.

That said:

George Clooney= Iron Man

J. August Richards (Gunn from Angel)= James Rhodes/War Machine

Ron Rifkin (Sloane from Alias)= Justin Hammer

Jet Li= Mandarin

Since we're naming old Batmen, I'll throw Val Kilmer's name into the hat. As either Stark or Strange.

I could totally see Kilmer as Dr. Strange.

I think Clooney is the closest there would be to looking like the guy in the comic book. Thing is, with these more prestigious films like Good Night and Good Luck and Syrianna, is Clooney even interested in doing this stuff? I guess you gotta do the safe picture, then you do the art picture...then sometimes you do the payback picture cause your friend says you owe him.

(For Clooney I guess the safe would be Iron Man, the art would be a film about Walter Cronkite or something, and the payback is doing something for Steven Soderbergh.)

Well, if Selleck's your Iron Man, then Delroy Lindo or Avery Brooks should be your War Machine.

But if you're going younger... too bad Phil LaMarr's a small guy. He can create the perfect voice for Rhodes. Maybe D.B. Woodside or Alimi Ballard? They've got the acting chops, but I don't know if they've got the presence to play a superhero...

Who would make a good Captain America? I'm having a hard time thinking of someone. Pitt would not be it, though.