TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Kingdom Hearts II

I never played the original (didn't like that type of game at the time), but this one looks like something I'll definately pick up. Though I got to say the commercial has the single most ANNOYING song I've ever heard.

I haven't seen the commercial, but if the song playing is the English version of Utada Hikaru's "Passion", then you're so fucking wrong, because that song fucking rules.

Real quick, the voice acting has been horrible. Billy Zane and David Borenaz are gone, Zane has been replaced by Richard Epcar who delivers some of the worst line reads in the "flashback" scenes to the last game. As for Leon, you know I've seen some places say it is David but if it is then he either recorded with a serious cold or just didn't care. I'm pretty sure it's not since if it was, they would have announced him with the other key cast members.

And if you thought Mandy was bad as Aerith, wait til you hear Mena not even attempting to sound interested in what she is reading. I know some will say, "it's just a video game", but with a story so twisted and really bad as this one you need good voice acting to try and save it.

I've completed the Mulan World and Beast Castle, working on Herc's world now. Gameplay is still low while cutscenes are heavy.

The game has basically been like this:

You walk-Cutscene-Mini Game-Cutscene-Fight-Cutscene-Walk-Cutscene-Walk-Cutscene-Fight-Cutscene

You could play for a good hour and only really PLAY for 5 minutes.

I'm on a cutscene overload and I don't want to skip them cause I'm trying to follow this thing they call a plot.

I never played the original (didn't like that type of game at the time), but this one looks like something I'll definately pick up. Though I got to say the commercial has the single most ANNOYING song I've ever heard.

I haven't seen the commercial, but if the song playing is the English version of Utada Hikaru's "Passion", then you're so fucking wrong, because that song fucking rules.

It is, and yes, it's a great song.

The game does drag a bit in the beginning. The mini-games in the very beginning are terrible.To have to do them as many times as you do is even worse. Once you get past the third day you actually have a reason to start caring about Roxas, and by the 7th it's actually kinda sad. I've enjoyed the story so far, although it is kinda cutscene heavy in the prologue. The actual game (with sora as the lead) isnt as bad as the other guy makes it out to be, there are alot of cutscenes, but theres more fighting than he makes out.

The gummi ships actually fun to play this time around, as opposed to really annoying from KHI.

Leon and Aerith do sound awful, but most of the others are pretty good. Christopher Lee is awesome.

"Christopher Lee is awesome."

That's not an observation or comment, just a fact. :P

Does anyone pronounce out Roxas' name (rocksauce?)?

So when does the game start to not-suck? Maybe I can ask a friend to make me a save for it up to that point.

Well, the GOOD news is once you get past the Herc world you start to get into some seriously heavy fighting. In the main hallway of the Mickey Castle, I was able to gain about 1500 points of experience from all the enemies I got to fight.

The game does pick up and now I am happy I bought it. But those opening levels are torture, pure fucking torture. So you have to get through the miserably boring Roxas parts, through Hollow which is a whole lot of nothing but horrible voice acting, Mulan World which has some cool fights but it also runs into a lot of yawn inducing bull as was the Beast Castle and Pooh's book that is just kinda there right now.

If you survive that, it starts to get fun and challenging.

The game continues to slowly improve with each world and I'm now positive that the horrible cutscene filled worlds were more than about tutorials and plot structure. But it was just incredibly boring.

POTC world is cool with very solid voice acting, Aladdin is quick and not too bad except for the fire blowers from the first game which are now a pain in the ass, and just now starting the Tron world. Haven't bothered unlocking Mermaid or Halloweentown yet cause I'm just not that interested as I know what happens under the sea.

One thing I am pissed about is I haven't learned Dodge Roll yet, which would be really great since a lot of these battles required some rolling.

If I had to rate the game right now, I'd say it's a 5 out of 10. It WAS about a .5 out of 10, but it's climbing the scale.

I've had Dodge Roll since Disney Castle as a reaction command. It only works for those little bomb things though.

That hallway is great. As is Timeless River. Just started POTC, I like it so far. The fight on the Interceptor is cool.

Does anyone pronounce out Roxas' name (rocksauce?)?

Rocks-us.

I hope you guys weren't expecting too much from the Tron world, 'cause you're only in it for about half an hour. Though, to be fair, the team-up attack with Tron himself is easily the coolest part of the game thus far.

Played through POTC and Agrabah, the weak Combo attacks with Aladdin suck this time. Though I didnt really get to use them as I was making the heartless my bitches with Donald's Comet & Cosmic Rain.

The Drives are pretty cool so far. I tend to like Valor more than Wisdom. Dual Keyblades! The only summon I had up till Agrabah was Chicken Little who, well..is terrible. But now I've got Genie, so its gonna be more fun, hopefully.

Played through POTC and Agrabah, the weak Combo attacks with Aladdin suck this time. Though I didnt really get to use them as I was making the heartless my bitches with Donald's Comet & Cosmic Rain.

The Drives are pretty cool so far. I tend to like Valor more than Wisdom. Dual Keyblades! The only summon I had up till Agrabah was Chicken Little who, well..is terrible. But now I've got Genie, so its gonna be more fun, hopefully.

Last time I called on Chicken Little all he did was wobble around the screen doing NOTHING. I know you have to use the summons apparently to make them learn and get better, but Little just sucks. I'm glad I have genie and I'm hoping to get Stitch soon since I understand he kicks all kinds of ass.

Donald's comet attack is awesome and Aladdin does indeed suck in terms of combo attacks. And by dodge roll I mean as a square button command. Am I the only one who thinks block just absolutely sucks this time? It barely blocks anything. You are better off just swinging the keyblade like mad and always hitting triangle when a reaction comes up.

I still need to get this. I don't want to keep putting it off and never get it. I have like 6 different games I've been putting off. I spend too much money at the arcade to buy PS2 games.

Boreanaz being gone sucks. I loved him as Squall.

Walk, cutscene, 5 minutes of gameplay, walk, cutscene, 5 minutes of gameplay.....that sounds good.

Am I the only one who thinks block just absolutely sucks this time?

Nope, it's definitely less useful than last time. It's slower and it seems as though your timing has to be perfect for it to work.

And by dodge roll I mean as a square button command. Am I the only one who thinks block just absolutely sucks this time? It barely blocks anything. You are better off just swinging the keyblade like mad and always hitting triangle when a reaction comes up.

Ah yeah, that would be nice. And yeah, block sucks.

I'm stuck right now. I went through Agrabah and POTC, and then went back to Twilight Town and then Hollow Bastion/Traverse Town, not bothering with Holloweent town and Pride Lands. (because the game more or less told me to go back) And after a huge battle where you join up with almost every other hero in town, I saved HB, but now....Halloweentown, Agrabah and The Pride Lands are cut off. And I can't do anything in Atlantica because I apparently need something from H-town.

The big series through the end of HB is great though.

And by dodge roll I mean as a square button command. Am I the only one who thinks block just absolutely sucks this time? It barely blocks anything. You are better off just swinging the keyblade like mad and always hitting triangle when a reaction comes up.

Ah yeah, that would be nice. And yeah, block sucks.

I'm stuck right now. I went through Agrabah and POTC, and then went back to Twilight Town and then Hollow Bastion/Traverse Town, not bothering with Holloweent town and Pride Lands. (because the game more or less told me to go back) And after a huge battle where you join up with almost every other hero in town, I saved HB, but now....Halloweentown, Agrabah and The Pride Lands are cut off. And I can't do anything in Atlantica because I apparently need something from H-town.

The big series through the end of HB is great though.

Check Jimmy's Journal, you might need to complete another task elsewhere. Or the game has a major bug that I am not going to be looking forward to.

Check the Land of Dragons again. I'm pretty sure I went there and completed a second mission after the other worlds were cut off.

Yeah I havent checked through all of the journel yet, so I'm sure there's something. I'm probably gonna go back to POTC and see if that'll reopen Holloween town.

Just check it on the world map, it tells you exactly what to do next. More than likely, it does have something to do with the Land of the Dragons. I'm looking forward to Simba's World, I don't know why I didn't go unlock it.

I have the game, and I'm at the Struggle Fight tournament (Just beat Setzer). For some reason I'm not really digging Roxas. The whole time I've been complaining, "Where is Sora? I want Sora!"

You've got a wait ahead of you. Roxas and his friends are some very uninteresting characters.

I wouldn't mind Roxas as much if I knew he was going to be the focal point. I know he isn't. Sora is. So I don't want to play as someone that might vanish halfway in.

To be fair, I get the feeling Roxas is a deep part of the plot than Sora is. It's just Roxas is boring, with Sora in the first game I wasn't bored with the looking for items. Roxas is just kinda there, like Scrappy Doo.

For all the bad I have had to say about this game, I will say it's very well done graphically. And the plot is slowly starting to make sense bit by bit after the first part of the game reminded me too much of the Matrix.

Ok, these battles after the Tron World are TIGHT as hell. Game just went from a 5 to an 8 in one level. That was some pure frustratingly fun battles. The Boss is a major pain in the backside and the battle with the heartless army is downright AMAZING.

I'll now completely recommend the game for these two battles alone.

Demyx (the water boss organization guy) is a really fun fight. Especially if you have the Reaction Limit command ability set that allows you to go Valor form from the Reaction command. Reaction Limit + Damage Drive is awesome.

And yes, the 1000 heartless fight is crazy fun.

Have you been back to Port Royal, or Beasts castle yet? Talk about frustrating boss battles...

EDIT: Roxas is a much bigger part of the story later on, I think. Axel's trying to do everything he can to bring Roxas back including

Kidnapping Kairi

I just realized that Roxas was probably "born" (as he's a Nobody, like the rest of Org XIII) from that small amount of time Sora was turned into a heartless in KHI.

Thats some continuity.