TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Kingdom Hearts II

In KH1, does Seph get harder if you beat Riku first? I've heard beating Riku in the Grand Hall ups the difficulty for the rest of the game--but I never even took on Seph in KH1. Also, in KH1 I'm like level 50, if that makes a diff.

BTW, for anyone who decides to pick this game up soon, DO NOT OPEN ANY CHESTS AS ROXAS! If you're trying to get the best ending, you'll screw yourself over because Jiminy won't record it.

I don't think you can get the ending on Easy.

Proud mode I don't think requires 100% completion, just locking all the worlds. At least FAQs say so...

If I remember correctly, if you just beat Proud mode, you aren't supposed to need to get Jimmy's logs and stuff.

Or at least I think so. I'll need to go look at my special uber guide again.

Definitely true.

Believe me, I'd rather die a few times in Ancient China and Beast's Castle than have to do all those missions.

*BUMP*

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3153901

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix +

by Jeremy Parish 09/20/2006

It's a rule of thumb: When a Square Enix game sells really well, an upgraded version can't be far behind. And when a game sells really, really well, even the upgrade gets an upgrade.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+.

Based on the Final Mix version of Kingdom Hearts II, a Japan-only release which added extra content to the original game, Final Mix+ goes a step even further with additional cinematics and hints of the story. (Based on the trailer, these seem to focus heavily around Sora's ill-fated doppelganger, Roxas.) That in itself is nothing particularly thrilling.

No, what makes Final Mix+ so intriguing is that it's a two-disc release, and Kingdom Hearts II is only on the first disc. The second disc is given over entirely to Kingdom Hearts re:Chain of Memories. As the name would suggest, this is a remake of 2004's Game Boy Advance spin-off Chain of Memories. It's no mere port or simple conversion, however. Instead, re:Chain of Memories transforms the entire GBA game into full 3D. Although this new version doesn't look to be quite on the same level as KHII -- environments are a bit spartan, and character models look more reminiscent of the original KH -- it's a major undertaking and seems likely to introduce the game to a wider audience than the GBA version found.

Furthermore, re:Chain offers visible changes in gameplay. Environments are now semi-destructible, and smashing pillars and rocks results in pick-up items. KHII's Reaction system has been integrated into the action as well; pressing the Triangle button at specific times will play into the strategy of combat. And perhaps most significantly of all, the entire game now features full voice acting, featuring the original cast of KH and KHII.

Many elements remain the same, though. The card-focused battle system is still intact, as is the room-creation system that requires the use of cards to unlock new areas. Riku's quest appears to have been ported over as well. In short, it looks like the definitive version of Chain of Memories, with a mix of new and familiar features to retain the essence of the original game while bringing it more in line with the rest of the series.

Square Enix won't say if Final Mix+ is coming to the U.S. -- to date, none of their Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts revised editions have made it outside Japan. But then, Final Mix+ offers substantial new content, namely a massively upgraded version of a game previously only available for a portable system. Company representatives certainly aren't ruling it out, so watch 1UP for further news on this surprise title.

Well, despite my assertion that I was going to get this on release, i finally bought it this week. I'm going to be lazy/greedy and bump this back up to the front page so I don't have to go looking for it.

BTW, for anyone who decides to pick this game up soon, DO NOT OPEN ANY CHESTS AS ROXAS! If you're trying to get the best ending, you'll screw yourself over because Jiminy won't record it.

I don't think you can get the ending on Easy.

Proud mode I don't think requires 100% completion, just locking all the worlds. At least FAQs say so...

Even the chests when you're running up the stained glass window staircase at the very beginning? Man that sucks. I guess I'll just have to finish normal and do it on Hard difficulty.

Actually, the stained glass window areas--knock yourself out.

However, playing Proud Mode relieves you of having to complete Jiminy's Journal, so I'd recommend that.

Actually, the stained glass window areas--knock yourself out.

However, playing Proud Mode relieves you of having to complete Jiminy's Journal, so I'd recommend that.

Yeah Normal difficulty's pretty simple so far. I just don't want to go through Roxas' section again. The only chests I opened with Roxas were the stained glass ones, so I'll finish this one and see how I do. I imagine it entails a shitload of backtracking to get everything, but I've got time.

Continuing my own little running commentary on KH2.

I've been going through this game at a fairly decent clip, and slogging my way through the numerous (NUMEROUS!) cut scenes. Steamboat Willie was a fun stage, but I marked out HARD for Space Paranoids. The digitizing of Sora and the crew was almost straight from the movie. It's a shame they couldn't get David Warner to voice Sark/MCP, but getting Bruce Boxleitner is good enough.

I do like how they managed to get most of the character voices back, but the guy taking over for David Boreanaz/Squall bugs me for some reason. And yes, Mena Suvari is quite possible the world's WORST voice actress. Good God her Aeris never emotes. It's all in a breathy monotone that irritates me. I can almost see why Sephiroth shish-ke-bobbed her in FF7.

And yes, Mena Suvari is quite possible the world's WORST voice actress. Good God her Aeris never emotes. It's all in a breathy monotone that irritates me.

Which is really weird because if she used her regular voice she'd have been okay, and I'd think the voice direction should have noticed how bad it was.

Hey Andrew, you know a good spot to grind some levels? I'm in the last town and I'm going back to finish all the little crap I have to do before the finish to get 100% on Jiminy's journal. Unfortunately, one of the things I have to do is fight Sephiroth. Given that I'm only about level 52 or 3, I've got quite a while to go before I even get near him (I've heard 70 is baseline for him). Plus, I want to level up my Forms and get the Final Form (if I can figure out how to get it). So, I need somewhere I can get a steady stream of heartless or Nobodies to fight.

Plus, I need to level up to get some skills for the subquests. I don't know how the hell you're supposed to do that stupid poster minigame/job in less that 30 seconds, but there has to be some skill later on that helps.

Edit: BTW, what everyone's favorite Keyblade (just to hear opinions)? Difficulty level: no Fenrir or Ultima votes allowed. Personally, I'm currently using Sleeping Lion, but Rambling Rose might be my overall favorite. Just seeing Sora throwing finishing blow after finishing blow at a huge crowd is entertaining as hell.

Hey Andrew, you know a good spot to grind some levels?

The very best.

And a video with precise, indepth instructions on how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwVrz8_Dvtc

Click the "more" link for the full skinny.

Renegade actually hooked me up with it first.

Gracias. It's going to be a long monotonous night. Going to have to mute my TV.

Edit: OK, I've seen the video numerous times and I can't figure out how he does it. As far as I can tell all he does is cast Magnera and a huge Magnet spell captures a ton of the flyers, destroying them and raining down magic bubbles to refill his magic meter. I try it, and I get a small Magnet spell captures a few of the flyers, holds them until I cast Thundaga, and I get a few magic bubbles. I can only do this 4 times or so before I have to leave and wait for my magic meter to recharge. Is it because I'm only level 60 and he's 90? I don't know if your magic rating affects the size of the spell area or what. If it does I'll throw on the rings I've got on Donald. Still getting some good work on getting my Forms levelled (I've neglected them until now). Finally got the Final Form. Looks cool but I don't like it as much as the Master Form. I'll see how they compare when they're both at level 7.

Here's a tip, they don't.

From what I recall Master form was fine and all but Final Form is just better. Eh, they were both fine, I suppose. I think Master form had better magic than final form, but I could be wrong. Either way, final form is good because it prevents Shadow form which is a great way to die...

"And for the Square Enix fans, look forward to Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix, previously thought to be a Japan-only upgrade, to arrive here in the fall, complete with the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories 3D remake. That's one hell of an 'extra.'"

Source: 1up, EGM

Guest Smues
"And for the Square Enix fans, look forward to Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix, previously thought to be a Japan-only upgrade, to arrive here in the fall, complete with the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories 3D remake. That's one hell of an 'extra.'"

Source: 1up, EGM

If they actually release that here I'll be quite impressed and sure to pick it up.

Finally beat down Sep thanks to getting the Ultima Weapon, which I never came close to getting in the first game because of that stupid mystery goo crap. He's not that hard when you have Trinity Limit with break, actually goes down pretty easily.

Well, as long as you have plenty of elixir and level 75+.

I tried to face him as a level 50 and he killed me in two moves. The bastard.

I'm having lots of trouble upgrading the drive forms, which sucks because I want to go back to the Tower and see those paintings uncovered. I just cannot seem to get enough experience in any fight, so I'm getting kind of pissed.

It looks like a really good decision that I didn't end up buying this game last week if I can get it plus extras later in the year..

I'll at least rent Final Mix if they get rid of the whole card-based fighting thing from CoM. I couldn't get through that game because of that and was pretty darn confused about what was initially going on in KHII as a result.

Gamestop and EB are now selling KH2 for 20 bucks new. Other retailers haven't done that price yet as far as I can tell.

The game reached Greatest Hits sales milestone (500,000+) and the release time milestone (9 mo. +) a while ago, but S-E haven't given it the GH treatment. In fact, as of the end of March it's been out a full year.

I'm 99% certain I saw a GH Kingdom Hearts 2 at Best Buy, but I might wait a little longer to hear what the price tag on Final Mix is if it comes stateside.

I suspect $49.99, because it isn't just Final Mix +, it's the remade chain of memories too.

I think an idea price would be $29.99 myself, though.

Guest Queen Leelee

Do you have to fully play KH1 to get most of KH2?

No spoilers, please.

There is a good summation at the start of KH2, so not precisely.

But on the other hand, ten minutes of back story won't compare to an entire game.

I WOULD recommend it, because of the recurring characters and their references to the previous game...

Do you have to fully play KH1 to get most of KH2?

No spoilers, please.

Not that I saw, they are two entirely different stories and really it doesn't seem to matter much. I think Chain of Memories is more of a required play to understand KH2 since that is really the sequel to KH1 and not KH2.

So really, to understand Chain of Memories you'd have to play Kingdom Hearts 1. But the start of Kingdom Hearts 2 sums them both up pretty quickly.

Guest Queen Leelee

Nevermind... pirated version doesn't work yet. :( I'll play it eventually, though.