TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jericholic82

AMERICAN IDOl-SEASON 5: THE THREAD

Good comparison Lushus, except I don't even really find Ashlee to be all that cute. I would hit it given the chance, but that's not saying all that much.

Guest Princess Leena
I don't get America's fascination with Kellie Pickler...are they looking for another Ashlee Simpson or something? She's pretty, sure...her personality is cute in a special olympian kinda way...but dammit she just can't sing well!

The voting will catch up with her, eventually.

The problem with Kathi, is that she doesn't have the fanbase needed at this part in the competition. It doesn't matter if more intelligent people like us think she's best... because most of us aren't voting, or the votes are spread out amongst the talented singers. Whereas Pickler has her large group of dumbass fans, mostly younger, who have nothing better to do than call for an hour. Kathi doesn't have that... she's more of the secondary star. "Oh, Kathi is good, too... but she's not my favorite, and she doesn't need my vote anyway."

I think once we get to around the last 4 or 5... the votes won't be spread out amongst the talented singers, and we'll finally be rid of people like Pickler and Ace.

I don't get America's fascination with Kellie Pickler...are they looking for another Ashlee Simpson or something? She's pretty, sure...her personality is cute in a special olympian kinda way...but dammit she just can't sing well!

The voting will catch up with her, eventually.

The problem with Kathi, is that she doesn't have the fanbase needed at this part in the competition. It doesn't matter if more intelligent people like us think she's best... because most of us aren't voting, or the votes are spread out amongst the talented singers. Whereas Pickler has her large group of dumbass fans, mostly younger, who have nothing better to do than call for an hour. Kathi doesn't have that... she's more of the secondary star. "Oh, Kathi is good, too... but she's not my favorite, and she doesn't need my vote anyway."

I think once we get to around the last 4 or 5... the votes won't be spread out amongst the talented singers, and we'll finally be rid of people like Pickler and Ace.

Sadly, Kellie and Bucky will dominate given next week's theme and it's pretty obvious that rednecks have telephones now since both are still there. That means it's probable, if not likely that someone with real talent like Elliott, Mandisa or Katharine will be eliminated. I can only hope Paris or Ace do the job, but I don't see it happening with either of those two yet, and I think that Chris and Taylor have the most fans so even if they screw up they should be alright.

not so fast naiwf, Kellie was TERRIBLE Tuesday...now we could chalk that up to song selection, but really, I don't think she'll "have it in the bag" so to speak, come next week...Bucky will do alright if he can do a song that doesn't sound like he's singing with marbles in his mouth.

not so fast naiwf, Kellie was TERRIBLE Tuesday...now we could chalk that up to song selection, but really, I don't think she'll "have it in the bag" so to speak, come next week...Bucky will do alright if he can do a song that doesn't sound like he's singing with marbles in his mouth.

Even if she sucks, she at least sounds country which gives her a big advantage. Country fans obviously have bad taste in music compared to those of us who don't "get it", and Kellie's pretty so she's safe unless she completely butchers her song or forgets the words. Even then, I think she'd be safe just because she wins more votes with her post song stuff on stage than during her performances. The girl is a genius because she knows how to play people for sympathy and actual singing talent is secondary to likability on AI.

Guest Princess Leena

What naiwf said. Unless Pickler really butchers a song, or ruins her image in some way (like Ace has) it doesn't matter. If it was based on singing talent, she'd have been gone long ago. She's the ordained popular hot girl, and thus gets a free pass into the later rounds.

Leena and naiwf are absolutely right. Pickler doesn't have to worry about a thing at this point. She could come out and belch her song and still advance this week. She doesn't have to start worrying until at least the top 6.

I think Katherine could be like Diana from season three. She starts out not all that popular, has a few scares in the bottom three, and slowly builds a fan base that propels her to the finals. At least that's what I hope happens at this point.

For this week Katherine, Bucky, Ace, and Elliot had better beware, because any of them could go.

Guest Princess Leena

Next week starts the tough eliminations of some good talent...

I'd say Bucky is the last of the "dead weight" contestants left. And since it's country week, he'll likely be good enough to survive one more week. Pickler, Taylor and maybe Chris are the only safe ones. The other 5 can't afford a screw-up.

Not feeling the Ashley Simpson/Kellie Pickler comparisson. Pickler may not be that good of a singer, but she's 5x as good as Simpson. How that girl managed to get a career as a 'singer' is a joke that's not even funny. I do get a scary feeling that Pickler's going to go much too far in this thing.

I figure the reason Katherine was in the bottom 3 this week was because she's been so 'safe' the past few weeks that people just forgot to vote for. Couple that with the fact that her last couple performances havn't done anything to remind people to vote for her.

Did you guys see Paris bawling her eyes out when Lisa got the boot? Imagine what happens when she gets kicked off. Lisa, however, was very composed.

Leena, I would add Paris to your definately safe list. I don't think there is any way she could leave at this point.

I would consider Mandisa as well, because I thought she was bottom 3 for sure this week after she got all preachy with her song choice, but she wasn't. That would lead me to believe she has a strong fan base as well.

Guest Princess Leena

I don't know about Paris. She's quite a talented singer, but she rubs a lot of people the wrong way. And I don't see her having a big fanbase. But, the loss of Lisa will probably help her the most of anyone... so, she'll probably be safe.

I'd say Bucky is the last of the "dead weight" contestants left.

I beg to differ. Ace has been dead weight since the round of 20, and it's only the fact that he's pretty and Paula treats him like the next Corey Clark that he's still around.

Not feeling the Ashley Simpson/Kellie Pickler comparisson. Pickler may not be that good of a singer, but she's 5x as good as Simpson. How that girl managed to get a career as a 'singer' is a joke that's not even funny.

I realize that you're just making a statement in general about how Ashlee sucks - and make no mistake, she is horrible - but I'm pretty sure her music career was one of the riders Joe Simpson added to Jessica's recording deal...

Leena and naiwf are absolutely right. Pickler doesn't have to worry about a thing at this point. She could come out and belch her song and still advance this week. She doesn't have to start worrying until at least the top 6.

Here's the thing. It's country week, so the odds of her or Bucky fucking up a country song two weeks in a row are not likely. And we've seen this before - singers do a pretty good job in their "home" musical genre and end up bottom three because voters assume that they'll be safe.

Guest Princess Leena
I beg to differ. Ace has been dead weight since the round of 20, and it's only the fact that he's pretty and Paula treats him like the next Corey Clark that he's still around.

But, Ace is still the pretty boy. No matter how much of a fagola he is. If he lasted through that god-awful falsetto crap he was doing, then he has a solid fanbase. And he can only improve. He does have talent.

And he can only improve. He does have talent.

I honestly think he hit his apex when he sang "Father Figure". Maybe he can improve, but he'll have to pull an awesome performance out of his beanie to make me believe it.

Guest The Satanic Angel
Here's the thing. It's country week, so the odds of her or Bucky fucking up a country song two weeks in a row are not likely. And we've seen this before - singers do a pretty good job in their "home" musical genre and end up bottom three because voters assume that they'll be safe.

Have we, though? This past week was current music, so people were free to pick songs within their comfort zone and they all did badly.

Have we, though? This past week was current music, so people were free to pick songs within their comfort zone and they all did badly.

I still need to work on the theory. However, on Canadian Idol Josh Palmer got the boot in arguably his "home" category, classic rock (speaking of which, why is it that Simon rants on Chris trying to go rock but Canadian Idol embraces stuff like The Guess Who, Classic Rock etc? Is it because of Rock Star?) after a pretty good performance which included him doing a guitar solo. On the flipside, Josh Gracin probably scored top marks singing country when he did an enthusiatic performance of some Garth Brooks song.

Again, I'll work on it (maybe) but regardless, I think it's "go big or go home" for Bucky or Kellie. Although Elliott could be severely handicapped by the genre, and Ace... well, it's Ace.

Guest The Satanic Angel

So is anyone looking forward to tonight's performances?

I'm not. I'm even debating on whether or not I'm going to watch.. but that is just attributed to my dislike of country music.

Guest Princess Leena

Nah, I'll probably skip this week, too. Except for Kathi. Plus, getting the show 2 hours later than the rest of the country sucks.

So is anyone looking forward to tonight's performances?

I'm not. I'm even debating on whether or not I'm going to watch.. but that is just attributed to my dislike of country music.

I'm obligated to watch since I recap the show, but otherwise I'm not sure why they bother with this - country singers sing country, maybe one or two non-country singers go all out with it and everyone else cheats and sings Faith Hill/Diane Warren/Lonestar-type songs...

The problem with the 2000's, they just sang songs they liked and that put them in a comfort zone, something they dont need to be doing.

Doing country, will force them to be creative and find something that suits them to be different. I just know Chris, will do "Friends in low places"

Wow, Mandisa totally not playing to her strengths.

I was about to make the same point as Randy - it showed her personality which is needed, but she's good at the big notes, the lil stuff in between she sucks at. And that song was 99% lil stuff.

"Why am I booed for being constructive?"