TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jericholic82

AMERICAN IDOl-SEASON 5: THE THREAD

yeah, I hate to say it, but I think Elliot is gone this week as well...pretty sad considering the way he went from OK to fantastic over the course of this season...his first song was weak, no one ever does a good "On Broadway" and his second song may have been too little, too late.

Katharine killed "Against All Odds" predictably, just like every other AI contestant that tries it. If George Huff, with his big booming voice can't do it, no one else can.

Two songs previously ruined by Savol in one night. What are the odds?

I guess we can pretty much pencil in Chris as the winner of this thing, I'm just not impressed with the guy.

I just wonder though. The only real comparison we've got to Chris being uncompromising and singing similar rock-type stuff every week are from other countries - Peter Evrad from Belgium (who won) and Suzi Rawn from Canada (who finished fourth) - so it's hard to tell how the fans are voting for him.

Paris is starting to bore me.

Ever notice that Randy and Paula say the same thing every week about Paris?

R: Pitchy, but you did your thing

P: Blubbers about how young she is

Anyone think they could try to reduce it to a 2/2 deal with the girls and the guys? Which probably puts Elliot on the outside.

Paris should go because she isn't really that impressive and I can't see her having a successful career (on the Kelly scale) maybe she can reach Fantasia levels but Fantasia had a insanely good voice.

Chris could easily wind up with a gig outside AI because any generic radio rock band would take him in an instant.

Katharine lacks the personality (look at her discomfort in the post and pre-performence interviews) that could just be Seacrest and his obvious attempt to knock her down.

Taylor would be a novelty act that I really don't expect to sell outside AI's bubble and Elliott is a even smaller example of that.

I think this is the best TOP 5 yet but it lacks the "it" factor that came with Kelly. I'm sure AI is fine with having another Clay/Carrie on their hands (modest success) but not critical success but they need another mega star to emerge from AI.

They can't get to AI: 8 and still push Kelly's success while hiding the modest success of others.

Guest Princess Leena
Taylor could win, but I'm sure Chris will edge him out.

I doubt it. Taylor is rumoredly millions ahead in votes from everyone else. But, AI will do whatever to push Chris, their ordained champ, to win, so who knows.

I agree with Hawk that Taylor would be nothing more than a novelty act. People will pay to see his act live for a year, or so. Buy his CD for a while. And he'll be forgotten. At least with Chris, there's the slight chance he could drag some rock band to huge popularity.

Katharine lacks the personality (look at her discomfort in the post and pre-performence interviews) that could just be Seacrest and his obvious attempt to knock her down.

Yes, the post-song has always been her weakness. Her discomfort leads to people thinking she's aloof, arrogant, boring, various bad things. I think the post-song importance is lessened by this point, though. But, I've come to grips that she's probably not winning. :( So, whatever.

yeah, I hate to say it, but I think Elliot is gone this week as well...pretty sad considering the way he went from OK to fantastic over the course of this season...his first song was weak, no one ever does a good "On Broadway" and his second song may have been too little, too late.

Katharine killed "Against All Odds" predictably, just like every other AI contestant that tries it. If George Huff, with his big booming voice can't do it, no one else can.

heh I'll be damned, you're right!

seriously, those two songs, Whitney songs, Mariah songs and Stevie Wonder songs are death for a contestant.

Kelly Clarkson songs as well....don't try to out do a former champion, people.

heh I'll be damned, you're right!

seriously, those two songs, Whitney songs, Mariah songs and Stevie Wonder songs are death for a contestant.

Kelly Clarkson songs as well....don't try to out do a former champion, people.

At least not her most current smash hit single. Do a lesser known song of Kelly, if you must. Wonder is funny, they criticize people for using it and yet use Stevie Wonder as a theme.

I think it was Randy who made the suggestion they do Beatles Week. I wonder how this TOP 5 would pull off a Beatles Theme.

Next year they need to shake up the themes because it's the same kind, which I know is a part of the formula. No more Stevie Wonder, Rod Stewart and all the others they have used.

The last two years they have pushed the "rocker", so use a real rock band for it. Aerosmith will do anything, do an Aerosmith theme.

I think it was Randy who made the suggestion they do Beatles Week. I wonder how this TOP 5 would pull off a Beatles Theme.

You'd probably get stuff like "Elanor Rigby", "With A Little Help From My Friends", "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" and "Here, There and Everywhere". Just slightly off the beaten path.

The last two years they have pushed the "rocker", so use a real rock band for it. Aerosmith will do anything, do an Aerosmith theme.

Aerosmith hasn't been a real rock band for a while. Which probably means that they're perfect.

Guest Princess Leena

Our loves, Katharine, will be in the bottom 2 tonight.

Let's pray for her tig o bitties.

Guest Princess Leena

Yeah, she knows she's the Queen of Queens. Bow down.

Guest The Satanic Angel

Paris is gone.

And she's not crying like someone was hoping..

Guest Princess Leena
Swallow the gum.. that was so trashy.

Indeed. Yuck.

Well, no surprise this week.

Paris is gone.

And she's not crying like someone was hoping..

That bitch didn't even entertain me in defeat. Boo to you Paris, boo to you!

Whatever, Paris was quality. I wanted her to leave before any of the other 4, but she had crazy talent. I have no idea why some people have this unfounded hate for her.

I thought that Paris was really talented, but she got on my nerves too. I think it was the one week where she was singing her post song interview part. That shit bugs me.

Guest Princess Leena

Paris was an annoying, pretentious, phony bitch at times earlier in the season. She calmed that down lately. Until the gum thing last night, but she probably knew she was gone then, so whatever.

She was a very talented singer... although, I can't say any of her performances really "wow'd" me. She was just pretty good every week... probably the only one who didn't have a noticeably bad week.

I think waiting until she was around 20 to do this, would have been better for her. Some maturity in both her attitude, and her looks, could have pushed her to win the whole thing.

she was good at points but really boring at other points.

Elliot is going to have to really go for the gusto next week...he's gotten better, singing-wise, than Katharine, but she's got the boobs and booty so yeah, he's fucked!

Guest Princess Leena

I think Kat is a better performer than Elliott, and just as good as a singer, overall. Problem is that Kat tries to sing these tough songs with difficult notes, and she fucks up. While Elliott sings that smooth, jazzy stuff.

But, I'm biased.

that's what I mean, song selection is as important to the process as actually singing the song, which is why Randy is constantly hammering that home to the contestants. Katharine has got to stop taking on songs bigger than her. All the contestants should realize that any album they make will be produced along the lines of their own personal strengths and weaknesses vocally...find your niche, stick to it and if you're doing a theme outside of your niche, try really hard to make it your own.

Yeah, most definitely. I think that's where Chris's strength has been too. He's obviously a modern rock singer and that's what he does almost every week. The only week he didn't, even though his version of "What a Wonderful World" was very good, he ended in the bottom two. I think after that he realized that he has to sing his style to get votes.

Elliot is going to have to really go for the gusto next week...he's gotten better, singing-wise, than Katharine, but she's got the boobs and booty so yeah, he's fucked!

And not in the good way either.

Thank you, I'll be here until I'm banned for excessive bad jokes!!

Guest Princess Leena

I see your point, but I think they need to take chances, as well.

Elliott was quite good last week, but if he keeps singing songs like that, he's not winning.

Kat has the ability to hit those difficult notes. So, she might as well try.

With Kat and Elliott, it's like they have nothing to lose because Taylor in undoubtedly in the Top 2, probably with AI's ordained winner, Chris. They have to try hitting some amazing song to have any chance of getting up there.

I really thought Chris would nail "I Dare You" too because I believe his voice sounds a lot like the guy from Shinedown but he just wasn't doing well for that song.

Guest The Satanic Angel

Elvis this week.. any ideas on who's doing what?

Elliott: “Trouble” and “If I Can Dream”

Chris: “A Little Less Conversation” and “Suspicious Minds”

Taylor: “Jailhouse Rock” and “In the Ghetto”

Katherine: “Hound Dog/All Shook Up” and “Can’t Help Falling in Love