TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

Iconic video game music.

Yes, yes, yes, yes! They had this music on showing highlights of a feud in Japan before the big climax match and I was marking out of my mind. Unbelievably great music that fits into the fact that you're at the end of a haunting game. The music wouldn't work as well if it was at the beginning of the game.

What, they played this music for a wrestling match? http://d2.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/Biohaza...nsion_again.mp3

Guest wildpegasus

Yes, yes, yes, yes! They had this music on showing highlights of a feud in Japan before the big climax match and I was marking out of my mind. Unbelievably great music that fits into the fact that you're at the end of a haunting game. The music wouldn't work as well if it was at the beginning of the game.

What, they played this music for a wrestling match? http://d2.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/Biohaza...nsion_again.mp3

I gotta hear it in the game again. I think it might be "Escape from labratory"

Sonic 3, Hydro Zone (I think) Act 2 is the best video game music I've ever heard. I used to play the game just to hear that song, and after I beat that stage, I'd turn it off.

Also, despite not having played the game in over a decade, the song that plays after you beat Sonic 2 (when Sonic is falling from the sky and Tails shows up with the plane to rescue him) has stuck in my head for years.

Recently the last song that I really liked was the music from the CG intro in Curse of Darkness where the main character fights Issac. It was the best part of the whole game.

The intro song in Chrono Cross is the best part of that whole series. Unlike Curse of Darkness that isn't bashing the game either, the song is just that good.

The intro to FF VIII is another favorite. Gets me pumped up to play it every time.

As far as iconic goes I have to mention the sewer music in Mario. Within the group of friends/arcade regulars I play with that song is like a popular catchphrase. Everyone knows it! It's classic.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've adapted "Double Dragon" for the bass guitar.

Nine Inch Nails also did the Zelda theme live. The bootleg is hilarious. They start in, and some dork goes "YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!" at the top of his lungs.

Nine Inch Nails also did the Zelda theme live. The bootleg is hilarious. They start in, and some dork goes "YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!" at the top of his lungs.

I must hear this. Know where I can get it?

I've adapted "Double Dragon" for the bass guitar.

haha

Recently the last song that I really liked was the music from the CG intro in Curse of Darkness where the main character fights Issac. It was the best part of the whole game.

The intro song in Chrono Cross is the best part of that whole series. Unlike Curse of Darkness that isn't bashing the game either, the song is just that good.

All the music in Curse is excellent. I think I only have about 1/6 of the game to go before I finish it, but I'll wait until it is a budget release. Iga should not make 3D games. His 3D output is like somebody who is a fine driver in their Contour, but was permitted to drive a tractor trailer truck and produced a huge flaming wreckage within 5 minutes on the road.

Chrono Cross is like...eh, Terminator 3. It feels totally wrong since there's about 2 guys who were on both projects, and the whole mood is more downbeat and depressing compared to the prior adventure.

Chrono Cross has the best soundtrack in the history of video games.

No one who has played CC and heard the battle theme in it could possibly say something like this. I almost had to put the damn game on mute.

You shameless heathen, that battle theme could be ten times louder and longer and still barely make a dent in the incessant powerhouse that is the rest of the CC soundtrack. It's like a brief moment of sobriety in the midst of a million multiple orgasms.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Passing Breeze from Outrun. That game had some great music, but that track stood head and shoulders above the rest.

One-Winged Angel is probably tops. It's a long song, and anyone who has heard it played can probably remember it almost exactly.

FF series, Castlevania seroes, Xenogears, ActRaiser, Super Mario World, Sonic 1-3, Chrono series, Guilty Gear series and Square SNES games in general had great sountracks.

Some rhythm games have difficult tracks that are fun to play that have gotten stuck in my head. Komputer Kontroller's 'Robot Rockerz' on Amplitude, 'Bark at the Moon' in Guitar Hero, SHu in Cool Cool tunes are exampled of this.

'Firestarter' is fucking awesome in Wipeout XL.

Guest InuYasha

The PC I'm on right now doesn't have speakers, so I don't know if this is the right song. Having said that, a few years ago, I came across an mp3 file of the London Symphony Orchestra playing the music from Super Metroid. It's pretty long, at just over 8 minutes; but it's definitely worth a listen, just for the nostalgia factor.

http://ioioio.net/music/symphony_metroid.mp3

I have soft spot for a song from Ducktales, the theme from the Moon stage.

Some band covered it, and it was played on a show from my local college radio station, and I listened to it quite a few times.

Nostalgia...

Must... resist... urge... to... make... fun... of... UMCP... college... radio...

Besides obvious stuff like One Winged Angel and the FF6 opera, a couple that stand out for me are the old Namco fighting game intro themes. The Tekken 2 and Soul Blade intros were fantastic and had great, memorable music. It's a shame that the more recent stuff hasn't been nearly as good.

Motherfucking Pac Man!

Other honorable mentions:

Tekken 3

Xenogears

Killer Instinct 1 & 2

Street Fighter Alpha 2

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter

Marvel Super Heroes

Marvel Vs. Capcom

The opening themes of Sonic Adventure 1 & 2

Guilty Gear X

I'm listening to the Metroid mix. Man, what a corny hair-metal-y guitar part in that first "get off the exploding ship" part

No marimbas on Brinstar? DROPPED BALL.

where did you get this from, good sir?

Nobua Uematsu has done a tremendous job on the FFs he has done. For me, Final Fantasy VI has the greatest soundtrack of all-time. Terra's and Celes' themes, the opera, Dancing Mad and the ending medley with all of the characters' themes, it's incredible. Even though I think most FFs are overrated games, the series has the best music heard in video games.

Other game soundtracks/music I like :

- Super Metroid

- Sonic 1 through S&K

- The Dragon Warrior series

- The Lunar games

- Streets of Rage 1 & 2

- Mega Man 2

- Contra

- The main theme from Halo and the music in the first episode of Doom.

- The Legend of Zelda theme. I'll also add the Ballad of the Windfish in Link's Awakening since it was the first Zelda game I played when I was 8....it made me shed a fucking tear at the end, ha !