TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dpac

HDTV

Oh, welllll then.

Yeah, that is the last place I'd ever shop for a TV. No offense.

Not at all. Given the option, I never blame anyone for choosing a specialty shop over a big-box. That said, Fort Erie is a town of 30,000 people. There's little to no shopping choices.

I want to get an upconverting DVD player and I was also thinking of getting one with a recording capabilities. If you combine the two functions, they are are expensive. Are they worth the money?

I figured progressive or higher would be better than what my Xbox outputs.

I'm of the school of thought that PVR > DVD recorders. I've yet to see a recordable HD DVD(which isn't to say they don't exist, of course), but I just think that PVR would be more efficient than burning a DVD. I don't mean that as a total rag on DVD recorders, just my two cents.

Actually I have a first generation TiVo. At least I think it's a first generation TiVo. It's more than 5 years old. I hate it because it's not configured right plus there is some delay in changing channels. Plus, there are visible lines on the screen when I watch TV.

That being said...

Anyway, the current space I occupy, I can't fit a TiVo there. Plus I like watching DVD's so I could save space by having a recorder and player in the same machine.

Oh, welllll then.

Yeah, that is the last place I'd ever shop for a TV. No offense.

Not at all. Given the option, I never blame anyone for choosing a specialty shop over a big-box. That said, Fort Erie is a town of 30,000 people. There's little to no shopping choices.

Eh.

If you know what you want and know how to research things, Walmart isn't the worst place to buy from, especially for the lower prices. I'd rather pay less and get no service than pay more and get service I don't trust.

My dad would be the worst person to shop at Wal-Mart. He knows nothing and would end up getting something horrible.

My dad would be the worst person to shop at Wal-Mart. He knows nothing and would end up getting something horrible.

Most older folks are victims of not knowing what they're getting themselves into. That's why I always introduce technology that my mom isn't familiar with to her (DVR, DVD, Internet, etc.)

Well, you can't record HDTV onto DVDs, if that's what you want to do. You can only do that on DVHS and only certain TVs can use DVHSs.

You CAN record HD onto a regular DVD, it just wont be HD. Granted, it looks terrible because no DVD recorder that I know of supports component so your limited to S-Video or composite, but Ive recorded a ton of HD stuff onto DVDs.

and GOOD NEWS (I suppose)..!!

TOTAL HD DISCS!

By Richard Siklos, The New York Times - January 4, 2007

Consumers wary of buying new high-definition DVD players because of a technology war reminiscent of the days of Betamax versus VHS will soon have a new kind of DVD that might make the decision less daunting.

Warner Brothers, which helped popularize the DVD more than a decade ago, plans to announce next week a single videodisc that can play films and television programs in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the rival DVD technologies.

Warner Brothers, a division of Time Warner, plans to formally announce the new disc, which it is calling a Total HD disc, at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

Two rival camps introduced high-definition DVD players last year: a consortium called Blu-ray, backed by Sony and others, and a group called HD-DVD, backed by Toshiba and Microsoft. Retail and media executives say this clash of corporate titans and their incompatible machines has left some consumers bewildered and has slowed the introduction of what is intended to be the next great thing in home entertainment.

Executives at Time Warner and its Hollywood subsidiary hope to spur sales of new DVD players and movies by gaining the support of retailers and cajoling rival studios into making their film and television libraries available in both formats on a single disc.

Mr. Tsujihara described the new disc as an elegant way for studios to make their content available more widely “in a way that is not conceding defeat” for the format they have been backing.

In the short term, Total HD would actually add to the number of formats retailers will have to stock, raising it from three to four. However, Irynne V. MacKay, senior vice president for entertainment products at Circuit City, said she supported the idea because it took pressure off consumers puzzling over which format to invest in. “The simpler the future is for us, the better,” said Ms. MacKay.

When buying an HD TV the first thing to do is set a price range that you can afford, and then stop listening to people who tell you what you are buying isn't good enough.

Listen, I know such and such brand and model is better then whatever else someone has picked, but in the real world, people have budgets.

I bought my HD-TV for $999. A Toshiba 46" 16X9 Widescreen Rear-Projection CRT.....Are there better TVs out there? Sure. Is spending $2000 more then what I did, worth it to me for a slightly better picture? No. Not with my budget. And quite frankly, with my upconverting DVD player(HDMI :) ) DVDs look outstanding!!!

I am the type that doesn't like using credit(cards) to make purchases. $999 was a price I could basically buy straight-up for cash. One day I will make more money and a $3000 TV might be in my logical budget, but for now, the TV I have is fucking excellent for my needs.

Well, you can't record HDTV onto DVDs, if that's what you want to do. You can only do that on DVHS and only certain TVs can use DVHSs.

You CAN record HD onto a regular DVD, it just wont be HD. Granted, it looks terrible because no DVD recorder that I know of supports component so your limited to S-Video or composite, but Ive recorded a ton of HD stuff onto DVDs.

and GOOD NEWS (I suppose)..!!

TOTAL HD DISCS!

By Richard Siklos, The New York Times - January 4, 2007

Consumers wary of buying new high-definition DVD players because of a technology war reminiscent of the days of Betamax versus VHS will soon have a new kind of DVD that might make the decision less daunting.

Warner Brothers, which helped popularize the DVD more than a decade ago, plans to announce next week a single videodisc that can play films and television programs in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the rival DVD technologies.

Warner Brothers, a division of Time Warner, plans to formally announce the new disc, which it is calling a Total HD disc, at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

Two rival camps introduced high-definition DVD players last year: a consortium called Blu-ray, backed by Sony and others, and a group called HD-DVD, backed by Toshiba and Microsoft. Retail and media executives say this clash of corporate titans and their incompatible machines has left some consumers bewildered and has slowed the introduction of what is intended to be the next great thing in home entertainment.

Executives at Time Warner and its Hollywood subsidiary hope to spur sales of new DVD players and movies by gaining the support of retailers and cajoling rival studios into making their film and television libraries available in both formats on a single disc.

Mr. Tsujihara described the new disc as an elegant way for studios to make their content available more widely “in a way that is not conceding defeat” for the format they have been backing.

In the short term, Total HD would actually add to the number of formats retailers will have to stock, raising it from three to four. However, Irynne V. MacKay, senior vice president for entertainment products at Circuit City, said she supported the idea because it took pressure off consumers puzzling over which format to invest in. “The simpler the future is for us, the better,” said Ms. MacKay.

Isn't the better news(to come I guess) duel players? The ones that can PLAY Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs? Total HD Disc sounds good, but if companies are putting both HD formats on a disc, does this mean it is going to cost $40 for a Total HD Disc Movie? I would rather spend the bulk of my money on a machine that can play both formats, and keep the prices of the movies themselves, lower.

Just my opinion though.

LG is going to announce at CES their duel BR/HD player. I think it's coming out in spring 2007.

And this TrueHD doesn't mean that much since WB supports BR and HD right now. If Fox or Disney were to do this, then I'd be pumped.

And quite frankly, with my upconverting DVD player(HDMI ) DVDs look outstanding!!!

Whyaren't we seeing more HDMI-ready DVD players instead of being told to prepare for the war between Blu-Ray and HD DVD?

I realise the two latter can run at 1080p....stop me if I'm wrong, but won't HDMI run at the same compatability as the set it's playing on?

I'm looking to buy an HD-TV sometime this year, with around $1500 to spend (Canadian).

I want something good from a well known company, but screen size is not that important for me, and I'd prefer to have it around the 27-35 inch range, which is what I want.

And quite frankly, with my upconverting DVD player(HDMI ) DVDs look outstanding!!!

Whyaren't we seeing more HDMI-ready DVD players instead of being told to prepare for the war between Blu-Ray and HD DVD?

I realise the two latter can run at 1080p....stop me if I'm wrong, but won't HDMI run at the same compatability as the set it's playing on?

There are plenty of upconverting DVD players out there.

And 1080p will only be shown if your TV is 1080p.

So I finally ordered the HD channels and what comes on HDNet Movies yesterday?

Fucking REAL GENIUS, one of the best movies of the 1980's. Fantastic.

the LG DVD/HD-DVD/Blu Ray Player is going to come out next month for $1200, but its not going to support all of features of either format, specifically the intereactive features of HD-DVD and the ethernet port on BluRay players.

Named Super Multi Blu player model BH100

- Cost $1199

- Single tray

- Carried nationwide by many retailers include BB and Circuit City the first week of Feb.

- HDMI 1.2 (not 1.3) output

- automatically detects disc type

- outputs 1080P/24 and 1080P/30. Also 1080I/60

- no network interface

- uses 2 seperate lens systems

- takes about 25 seconds from disc insertion to display

- no interactivity support from either format

I'll pass though. Essentially its being called a Blu Ray player with limited HD-DVD playback capabilities tacked on as an afterthought. Sure, it'll play your HD-DVD movie but you're screwed if you want to use any of the special features on the discs. You can get a HD-DVD player for $400 now and either a PS3 for $600 or the potential for a $799 Blu Ray player from Samsung in the near future, which would be cheaper than the LG player, although youd need an HDMI Switch.

Theres a nice thread over at AVS for the interested.

AS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 8, 2007--DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is hailing 2007 as the "Year of HD" with the planned launch and carriage of 100 national high-definition (HD) channels. With this substantial HD muscle, DIRECTV will offer three-times more HD programming than any other multi-channel distributor, with the majority of these channels launching in Q3.

DIRECTV also announced today that it currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle, with more than 70 major networks including:

-- A&E

-- National Geographic

-- Bravo

-- NFL Network

-- Cartoon Network

-- SciFi Channel

-- CNN

-- Speed

-- Food Network

-- TBS

-- FX

-- The History Channel

-- HGTV

-- The Weather Channel

-- MTV

-- USA Network

DIRECTV will also extend its leadership in HD sports programming by offering hundreds of games and other HD programming available from Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) around the country, including YES Network, Comcast Sports Net, New England Sports Network and FOX Sports.

Im salivating now as we speak..A few of these I really dont understand (Weather Channel, Cartoon Network?).

AS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 8, 2007--DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is hailing 2007 as the "Year of HD" with the planned launch and carriage of 100 national high-definition (HD) channels. With this substantial HD muscle, DIRECTV will offer three-times more HD programming than any other multi-channel distributor, with the majority of these channels launching in Q3.

DIRECTV also announced today that it currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle, with more than 70 major networks including:

-- A&E

-- National Geographic

-- Bravo

-- NFL Network

-- Cartoon Network

-- SciFi Channel

-- CNN

-- Speed

-- Food Network

-- TBS

-- FX

-- The History Channel

-- HGTV

-- The Weather Channel

-- MTV

-- USA Network

DIRECTV will also extend its leadership in HD sports programming by offering hundreds of games and other HD programming available from Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) around the country, including YES Network, Comcast Sports Net, New England Sports Network and FOX Sports.

Im salivating now as we speak..A few of these I really dont understand (Weather Channel, Cartoon Network?).

haha

I was thinkin the same thing bout cartoon network.

The weather channel would be interesting.

Have it lookin like you're inside a tornado

-- A&E

-- National Geographic

-- Bravo

-- NFL Network

-- Cartoon Network

-- SciFi Channel

-- CNN

-- Speed

-- Food Network

-- TBS

-- FX

-- The History Channel

-- HGTV

-- The Weather Channel

-- MTV

-- USA Network

I think the part about the 70 networks is them being intentionally misleading. I don't think its saying all of those networks will be in HD, just that DirecTV has "currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle" with them. There was no mention of HD in that sentence.

I'm glad they're finally living up to their promise of more HD channels, but I'm not looking forward to the rate hike I'm sure they'll subject us to.

-- A&E

-- National Geographic

-- Bravo

-- NFL Network

-- Cartoon Network

-- SciFi Channel

-- CNN

-- Speed

-- Food Network

-- TBS

-- FX

-- The History Channel

-- HGTV

-- The Weather Channel

-- MTV

-- USA Network

I think the part about the 70 networks is them being intentionally misleading. I don't think its saying all of those networks will be in HD, just that DirecTV has "currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle" with them. There was no mention of HD in that sentence.

I'm glad they're finally living up to their promise of more HD channels, but I'm not looking forward to the rate hike I'm sure they'll subject us to.

Off that list, A&E, Nat. Geo., NFL Network (which is up part time on Directv already), Food Network, HGTV and MTV are already in HD and carried by some other providers. CNN-HD has been shooting some things in HD and did an upgrade a while ago to set up their studios for HD, and it will launch in September. TBS-HD launches in time for the MLB playoffs which they got the rights to starting this year. So that leaves the others which aren't in HD but now with an agreement to carry the HD version they can start working on them and they should be up by the 3rd quarter as stated. Those channels will probably be like A&E-HD where its "TNT Stretch-O-Vision" with only a couple real HD shows (in A&E's case, that show is CSI Miami). Also, with USA Network going to HD, that will definitely put some pressure on Vince to get RAW done in HD finally. Some of USA's shows are aired in HD on Universal HD (Monk, Law and Order SVU) so they'll have some shows in HD.

Speaking of "TNT Stretch-O-Vision" That reminds me...anybody ever watched Knight Rider or Quantum Leap on Universal HD? They must have actually gone back to the original film prints of those shows and converted them. They're 16:9 and they look fantastic.

Keep in mind all those new HD channels will likely be MPEG-4 which will require a new 5LNB Dish and MPEG-4 receivers.

Whoo-hoo!!! New equipment charges!!!!

It's been kinda touched on a few times already, but shows that are re-runs now, (e.g. Seinfeld on TBS)....what's the HD ruling there? Just need to kinda clean them up like Knight Rider was described above?

I'll say it again...

(And this isn't a comment on which format is superior, simply an observation of how the pubic thinks.)

Most people already know what "HD-DVD" is because they're already familiar with both "HD" and "DVD".

With blu-ray, you have to explain what it is to them. That's a huge disadvantage.