TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

I want to punch James Blunt right in the fucking face

Neither Coldplay nor Keane is terrible. You just have to have a taste for that type of Euro emo-rock.

Although I will grant you that Chris Martin can be pretty fucking annoying.

Coldplay is dull and derivative. They don't outright suck enough yet to be completely terrible, but one more Coldplay-by-numbers album will do the trick

James Blunt is horrible.

I won't deny that Coldplay is derivative, but so is pretty much everything that is mainstream these days. They're not my favorites, but I still find their music entertaining. I happen to think that they could possibly have a long musical career, though, I discussed that in that thread we had recently on the subject of longetivity.

I don't mind Coldplay as "chiller" music here and there...but I can see it get boring with repetitive listenings. Much like U2. I hear the same songs over and over again, and even though "Bullet the Blue Sky" was one of my favorite songs for years...I can't stand it anymore due to overplaying.

I think, upon hearing their new album played in a record store, Coldplay are one band I will offer absolutely no concessions whatsoever.

And incidentally, let the newest album stand as proof that no, THE FUCKING CUNT DOES NOT HAVE A GOOD VOICE.

Guest InuYasha

Don't get me wrong, Barron. I like a lot of the songs on the current Top 40 list, but James Blunt's song is just plain annoying. The guy has almost zero talent, and couldn't have found a worse song to get overplayed on the radio.

When INXS first came back out about 4-5 months ago, one of the local DJ's here overplayed it so much, people actually called in, asking her NOT to play it. The song I'm talking about is called "Pretty Vegas," I think.

I was driving down the road the other day, and decided to turn on the radio instead of playing a CD, something I almost never do anymore. As soon as I did so, I heard a song start playing. It took me all of about thirty seconds to decide that I hated it with all of my being, but I stuck with it to be sure. I went home, decided to watch the music video on YouTube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nufgyOerBiI

and it only confirmed my hatred for it. The song was You're Beautiful by James Blunt.

How anyone can enjoy that, I'll never understand. It's not even just the music or the vocals. The actual lyrics are some of the worst that I've ever heard before. It's like they totally just used a computer to write it, and picked the rhymes just bases on the most obvious ones that popped up.

I just don't get how someone like this can hit it big. I haven't been more appalled at a singer hitting it big since Macy Gray, and that's saying something coming from me.

And what in the living fuck is with this trend of singers singing almost entire songs in a falsetto-voice? Thank God I have pretty much given up on music radio.

Not only would I like to see James Blunt beaten to a pulp, but as well as the people out there who have allowed him to get this far.

EDIT:

I also found this parody of that song and music video that day. It's pretty funny:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=thtmaZnxk_0

Make it War to Zooropa and you've got a deal.

I've never given October a full listen. I've only heard the title track and "Gloria." The fact that the piano is supposed to be a big part might make me look fondly on it, even though it seems to be the bastard child of the catalogue

EDIT: soooooo, I'm going to give it a full listen. Also, I feel that Rattle and Hum could have been amazing if it wasn't so scattershot. But I guess that's how everyone feels

October is decent, but kind of a toss-off. Really, I like enough of the songs on Pop as well, but not nearly as much as I did six or seven years ago. The U2 catalog is gradually shrinking to a centralized point for me.

October just doesn't work. There's some good stuff on it, but a lot of filler. Bono losing his notebook right before recording really screwed them over.

Rattle and Hum has some great songs but is just too bloated. I could listen to every song seperately and enjoy it, but as an album it's just too much.

Pop has some bad clunkers, but the best songs on Pop are probably my favourite U2 songs. Please, Wake Up Dead Man, Mofo, Staring at the Sun, Gone- are all songs that I could put in my top 10 U2 song list (which changes daily)

Guest InuYasha

Ah. I would have understood better if he had put it in parentheses.

Why would that help? Albums are italicized

Sorry; I was half asleep and at school when I typed that.

I just looked at it again, and thought to myself, "WTF was I smoking.....?"

I meant to say quotation marks.

songs that I could put in my top 10 U2 song list (which changes daily)

1 With or Without You

2 Where The Streets Have No Name

3 Sunday Bloody Sunday

4 New Year's Day

5 The Unforgettable Fire

6 I Will Follow

7 The Fly

8 Beautiful Day

9 Drowning Man

0 Bullet The Blue Sky

I like that list, even though I need to listen to Drowning Man a bit more. I like With or Without You but it's not one of my favourites.

I've been really into some of the B-sides recently, really digging Flower Child.

City of Blinding Lights, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Mercy, In A Little While, Bullet the Blue Sky, Bad, Unforgettable Fire, Please, Mofo and Stay (Faraway, So Close!) is prob my top 10 right now. Although as I said, it changes constantly.

What, no love for "One", people?

Back on topic, I like that James Blunt song. It's the only song of his I've heard so far.

And just to push the knife further, after being #2 for three weeks "You're Beautiful" is now YOUR new #1 song according to Billboard's Top 100 Singles.

Bullet the Blue Sky is much better live. The version they did on the Elevation Tour was fantastic.

Zooropa is some good stuff. Nothing except for Stay (Faraway, So Close!) stands out but I like everything on it. They debuted The First Time on the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour- really good song live.

All I Want Is You

Please (single)

With or Without You

The Fly

Where the Streets Have No Name

Bad

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Zoo Station

Running to Stand Still

Love is Blindness

Even though I don't listen to them nearly as much as I used to, I would agree with Bob that my list of favorite songs probably changes from day to day. Most of those are usually on it, though. I don't think the individual songs from Zooropa stand out that well, but work wonderfully together, especially on the first half of the album.