TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

That was a really exciting final couple of minutes. If Sammy had hit that 3 from 3/4 court that would've been the best finish to a game I've seen this year.

And right now, Kobe is guilty of pretty much everything that Jordan was guilty of, guys just standing around because they know they won't see the ball, Lamar Odom talking about how it's like "playing with god" etc. etc.

They don't stand around until the 4th quarter. When they don't play well before then, it's because they suck, not because they stand around. Players are inexperienced, they can't conquer everything early like some people want them to.

And yeah, Kobe scored 42 while sick, and it's time for the blowouts tomorrow and Monday. It's good to get those 2 games out of the way, so the Lakers can help bring the NBA back to New Orleans.

Guest Princess Leena

I don't believe people here get so worked up because of the stupid media. Lolz.

Does anyone else think Ben Gordon would score 25-30 a game if he was a Knick? The guy fucking KILLS the Knicks every time out. He's clutch, something we don't have and we ended up trading for half of the Baby Bulls but of course didn't get him or Hinrich which would have made the team better. I like how CW was optimistic about a game in which the Knicks gave up the final 11 points of the game and blew a 16 point lead. 22 losses in 24 games baby. Somebody get Isiah an extension! Oh yeah, Lil Nate and David Lee didn't play yet again.

And right now, Kobe is guilty of pretty much everything that Jordan was guilty of, guys just standing around because they know they won't see the ball, Lamar Odom talking about how it's like "playing with god" etc. etc.

They don't stand around until the 4th quarter. When they don't play well before then, it's because they suck, not because they stand around. Players are inexperienced, they can't conquer everything early like some people want them to.

And yeah, Kobe scored 42 while sick, and it's time for the blowouts tomorrow and Monday. It's good to get those 2 games out of the way, so the Lakers can help bring the NBA back to New Orleans.

Why do we want the NBA in New Orleans? They're better off here.

Guest Princess Leena

No. I'd rather see Isiah coach at Indiana, and bring his ignorance to that useless state.

What does it say about your team when they're 16.5 back in the ATLANTIC?

Even when the Chicago Bulls trailed by 16 points, Kirk Hinrich felt there was nothing to worry about. "We know we had Madison Square Gordon, so we knew we were in the driver's seat," Hinrich said.

Ouch.

They're going to be in both New Orleans and Oklahoma before long, so it doesn't matter either way. I want the Hornets to have a few games in New Orleans, not stay there, but it looks like they will anyway. Stern's already said they will.

Guest Princess Leena

Madison Square Gordon, home of Wrestlemania Okafor.

I'd like New Orleans to have a team. Have some pity for them. OK City can buy the Clippers, or something.

OKC is going to get the shit Sonics, after they trade Allen and Lewis because they don't have enough money.

What does it say about your team when they're 16.5 back in the ATLANTIC?

Even when the Chicago Bulls trailed by 16 points, Kirk Hinrich felt there was nothing to worry about. "We know we had Madison Square Gordon, so we knew we were in the driver's seat," Hinrich said.

Ouch.

They're going to be in both New Orleans and Oklahoma before long, so it doesn't matter either way. I want the Hornets to have a few games in New Orleans, not stay there, but it looks like they will anyway. Stern's already said they will.

Even though we are now percentage points behind CHARLOTTE for the worst record in the league you need to stop being so negative. The Knicks are the best team in the NBA at losing games and we're # 1 in payroll! How many teams lead the league in 2 such diverse categories? That's what I thought.

Seeing as you brought up Charlotte, why the hell did the league have to go back there?

Even though we are now percentage points behind CHARLOTTE for the worst record in the league you need to stop being so negative. The Knicks are the best team in the NBA at losing games and we're # 1 in payroll! How many teams lead the league in 2 such diverse categories? That's what I thought.

You're not allowed to celebrate with me 50 years from now, when they win the title mere seconds before I give way to death's cold embrace.

He says that now, but I really don't think they will. New Orleans will get an ASG as a consolation and OKC will keep the Hornets. You're hurting more Hornets fans by putting them back than leaving them there. You can't just take them away, and then stick the Sonics there. That's pretty stupid and not fair to Oklahoma City.

Seeing as you brought up Charlotte, why the hell did the league have to go back there?

Beats the hell out of me. It's not like Duke/UNC fans give a shit about the team and that's pretty much all there is in that state. I think even lowly NC State is higher on the totem pole than the NBA franchise. I hope Okafor leaves them at the first available opportunity since he doesn't deserve that kind of punishment. Sadly, it looks like the critics who said he'd be too fragile were right and Dwight Howard was the guy who should have been picked first. It would have been kind of funny though if the Magic had picked Emeka since they could have sat him next to Grant Hill on the bench as 2/5 of the NBA All Kinds of Potential but Fragile as Fuck 1st team.

I have to admit that I am kind of rooting for Isaiah to get the Indiana job, just so those not-so-subtle racist fucks can start crying for Mike Davis to come back. While he wasn't the answer down there in Bloomington, Davis deserved a fucking fair shot and he never got it because he was following a coaching legend and his skin was the wrong color.

I hate playing the race card, but it is what it is.

Back on topic, what a game between the Pistons and Sonics, and Rip Hamilton tears the heart out of another team's collective chest again. Wow.

He says that now, but I really don't think they will. New Orleans will get an ASG as a consolation and OKC will keep the Hornets. You're hurting more Hornets fans by putting them back than leaving them there. You can't just take them away, and then stick the Sonics there. That's pretty stupid and not fair to Oklahoma City.

I really, really hope he was just posturing when he said the Hornets would stay. The further this year goes on, the more clear it seems to me at least that New Orleans won't be fully rebuilt. Even if it is, the people there are going to be too poor to pay for that kind of entertainment. It just seems like the residents are more interested in starting new lives in Houston. Of course, with the Sonics not going to OKC, that opens up the door for a team in Vegas. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Beats the hell out of me. It's not like Duke/UNC fans give a shit about the team and that's pretty much all there is in that state. I think even lowly NC State is higher on the totem pole than the NBA franchise.

There's not a problem with there being too many teams, it's just that the placement of them is screwed up. Fans will support the team for a while, but they won't have staying power in Charlotte.

Or there aren't enough places to put teams, I don't know.

Indiana kept Davis around a lot longer than any NBA team would have, especially considering that he was following up on Bobby Knight. I don't care if you're white, black, Asian, Mexican, Eskimo, whatever, if you're following Bobby Knight, you're not going to get a fair shake from most people. I've cut Davis more slack than a lot of people have because of that fact, but this is the third straight year we're going to miss the tournament. He also recruited just one player who was drafted into the league (Bracey Wright, who's played a grand total of eight minutes for the Wolves this season) in his five years, though granted, that could change this year. I'm not saying I'm happy to see him go, but I can't really say I'll miss him either.

Davis was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. NOBODY was going to satisfy the university and it's boosters following two decades of Knight, especially not someone as inexperienced as him. It didn't help that he made it to a championship game with Knight's players and then didn't get anywhere near that level with his own, if he'd had even the slightest degree of success the last couple years he could have stayed the execution. As it is, I think the only reason he hasn't been fired yet is that the administration was reluctant to admit they made a bad choice in hiring him, hoping he'd do something to justify it.

As I said earlier, I think Isiah Thomas would be a GREAT hire, simply due to the fact that he'd be an amazing recruiter, not just in Indiana but throughout the country, and that he'd get instant respect and could relate to his players. And he wouldn't have the bagage of feeling he has to live up to Knight's legacy like most coaches would, he's Knight's star pupil and has a great relationship with him to this day, and his ego is so big that that pressure wouldn't phase him at all. He may not be a great X-O coach, but he'd surround himself with competent assistants to handle that stuff, his job would be to bring in talented players and motivate them to perform at a high level, which he's perfectly suited to do.

Does anyone else think Ben Gordon would score 25-30 a game if he was a Knick? The guy fucking KILLS the Knicks every time out. He's clutch, something we don't have and we ended up trading for half of the Baby Bulls but of course didn't get him or Hinrich which would have made the team better. I like how CW was optimistic about a game in which the Knicks gave up the final 11 points of the game and blew a 16 point lead. 22 losses in 24 games baby. Somebody get Isiah an extension! Oh yeah, Lil Nate and David Lee didn't play yet again.

Where the fuck did you see me NOT say that we didn't blow the game? Is it because I said Franbury seems to be coexisting? Want me to say everything that's already been said? Fuck off man.

The Lakers look awful, but the Pistons are letting them hang around. Kobe hasn't done anything yet cause he's in foul trouble.

It looks like they're going to beat the Pistons on the shoulders of an 18-0 run. I could swear that Kobe didn't do shit all game, yet he has 40. Fuck, even Kwame Brown played well. Unreal.

Bring on the Spurs.

Guest Vitamin X

Ripper mentioned this last season, and fuck me if it still doesn't ring true today. With Lamar Odom's play go the Lakers. Meaning, the rest of the team can hang around and be their mediocre selves as long as Odom and Bryant are playing well.

I want to see a stat correllating the Lakers' win-loss record when Odom has a double-double and when he doesn't get into double any of his stats. Tonight, Lamar had 24 points and 10 assists. Kwame had only 3 points, but 12 rebounds (and in reality, that's all the Lakers really need from Kwame, as Smush, Mihm, Odom, and of course Kobe can all provide the scoring).

I didn't watch the game, but just from observing the stats, I can see how and why they won the game and if they follow a similar formula, they can keep it up against the better teams in the league like Detroit and San Antonio.

The game was dominated by Detroit in the 1st half, but they left a little window of hope, then they dominated the beginning of the 3rd. After that, they went ice cold, and Lamar was very assertive. Hungry, if you will, with 0 turnovers.

All I can say is ugh. The Pistons let a golden opportunity get away tonight, big time.

alfdogg, there is a ton of truth in what you are saying, and if it was just that, it would have been fine. I agree wholeheartedly in that he did a terrible job recruiting in his own state, but considering that he just was not given a fair chance, how in the hell is he going to recruit in Indiana if he already was being viewed negatively from the second he got the job? He could have won the damned national title and he still would have been in the same position he found himself in, Knight's players notwithstanding.

I just can't see Isaiah being a positive step forward for the school, considering everything he has done. He has charisma, thats true, but aside from recruiting, what is that going to do? He's already proven that he is an unmitigated disaster as a coach and an executive.