TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

78th Academy Awards

What did the Academy expect with Stewart? Crystal and Martin, praise people and make boring jokes while usually doing some cheesy dance number.

Stewart, was supposedly hired to be funny. I guess they were expecting some bush jokes and when Stewart mocked their culture, they got all pissy.

If you don't want that, don't invite the guy to host.

The 36 Mafia line was better then anything Crystal or Martin, had done in years.

Guest El Satanico

It's critics and/or fans complaining about him, not the academy.

I didn't mind Jon Stewart, but something about him seemed off for much of the night. I don't fully blame him though, because I think there were times where he wanted to say something else but they cut him short.

If they said he was going to host again, I wouldn't really complain about it.

Steve Martin was terrific as an Oscar host. They should try to bring him back every year.

Jon Stewart was too nervous, and seemed out of his element.

For what it's worth in EW's Oscar predictions they had Brokeback with 35% and Crash with 30%, so it's not like it wasn't to some extent neck and neck.

By the way I checked imdb.com and Crash was in fact the highest rated (with the most votes too) at 8.4. Brokeback and Capote were both at 8.0, Good Night and Good Luck was 7.9, and Munich was 7.7.

In my predictions of the main catagories I got them all right aside from best picture. I did have Clooney winning, Reese, Weisz, Hoffman, Ang Lee for director, Crash for script. Obviously for best picture I had Brokeback Mountain.

Guest SavageRulz

Stewart's comfort zone is pounding on political figures of all stripes for their absurdity. After the post-Oscar lynching of Whoopi Goldberg, it was clear to anyone paying attention that political commentary is not be appreciated in the Oscar venue. As a result, Stewart was left with the bizarre task of being to perform in front of the largest audience he has ever addressed while being stripped of his best vehicle. The result was predictably vanilla.

Stewart, was supposedly hired to be funny. I guess they were expecting some bush jokes and when Stewart mocked their culture, they got all pissy.

I think once Stewart implied that Hollywood was out of touch with other Americans, he lost the live audience and had a hard time getting them back.

I have never actually HEARD of Capote until last night, so I was kind of surprised to see Dusty from Twister take home the best actor Oscar. I'll have to give that film a look one of these days.

Looks like someone stopped watching after the opening monologue.

He got a bit better as the show went on, but I still didn't think he was very good. Steve Martin's been the only good host recently.

Parts of that opening monologue were painful though.

I have never actually HEARD of Capote until last night, so I was kind of surprised to see Dusty from Twister take home the best actor Oscar.

:huh:

*goes back to check*

Twister (1996)

Philip Seymour Hoffman .... Dustin Davis

I never knew that was PSH.

"Red meat, we crave sustenance! "

I have never actually HEARD of Capote until last night, so I was kind of surprised to see Dusty from Twister take home the best actor Oscar.

*goes back to check*

Twister (1996)

To me he will always be Scotty from Boogie Nights.

Looks like someone stopped watching after the opening monologue.

He got a bit better as the show went on, but I still didn't think he was very good. Steve Martin's been the only good host recently.

Parts of that opening monologue were painful though.

Are you kidding? The monologue was great. It was almost like a celebrity roast. He didn't seem to be the least bit nervous to me.

*goes back to check*

Twister (1996)

To me he will always be Scotty from Boogie Nights.

I've only seen him in Red Dragon, so to see and hear the voice he used for Capote was really quite interesting. I'll have to rent the movie sometime. Or download it.

Speaking of downloads, the jokes about piracy from Jon were quite amusing. 'Some of these actresses couldn't even afford clothes to cover their chests!' --- or some such.

'Go upstairs, talk to the kid who is downloading music illegally, and ask him to explain our next presenter to you'.

The montage with the gay-cowboy was, of course, my fave. Is it up for download anywhere?

Guest Vitamin X

Oh for CHRIST'S SAKE this is retarded.

Won't people just accept Crash was an infinitely better film?

post-1656-1142017096_thumb.jpg

on a related bit, was just looking over at DeepDiscountDVD, looks like a Directors Cut of Crash is coming out April 4, kinda curious to see what's different

One of the producers needs money

Yeah guys, it's a spoof of the Florida ballots from the 2000 election.

I mean, come on.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh for CHRIST'S SAKE this is retarded.

Won't people just accept Crash was an infinitely better film?

You took that seriously?! You're kidding right?

What this guy said:

It was a joke. An obvious joke at that. The only reason it has picked up any steam is that the Brokebackers out there latch on to ANYTHING that discounts Crash's win.

I don't know about you, but there are a lot of people that actually did take it seriously and were honestly pissed over how Brokeback Mountain lost. Especially the gay fashion majors at my school (well, obviously).

Munich > Crash

I don't think I'd disagree with you too much, I'd put them on about the same level. I would've been happy if either won, but really surprised if Munich did. Munich has to be one of the more underrated and underhyped (considering who was directing) films of the year.

So I rented "Crash" the other night. Everyone in it was good, but there were entirely too many ironic coincidences for me to take it seriously. I thought Matt Dillon's scenes were the best parts. Basically, I felt it was Magnolia without the frogs.