TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

Fight of the Year Thread

BUMPED.

So, what's been added to the list since last we discussed? What's held up well? What hasn't?

Watched Penn vs GSP last night, still holds up well mainly due to the insane amount of heat behind it. Then the crowd decides to descend into stupidville when the decison is made. They boo Buffer announcing one judge scoring it for Penn, cheer when GSP wins and then boo almost immediatly after. Then they proceed to boo both BJ and Hughes when they got on the mic afterwards. I love Rogan's "What the fuck are you booing for?" face.

And anybody saying BJ got robbed is officially on the crank. After round one outside of a half-assed omoplata attempt he did absolutely nothing to warrant a win. Somebody needs to tell BJ's fanboys that cosmetic damage can only get you so far.

Kendall Grove vs Ed Herman from the TUFIII Finale can be added to this list. Perhaps Spencer Fisher vs Matt Wiman from UFC 60 as well. Hopefully by this time Friday morning we'll all be adding Karo vs Diego to it.

I still think GSP/Penn is a pretty weak match all things considered. BJ's activity level after the 1st round topped out when he tried to jump over a GSP low-kick, and the match was basically decided on a couple of takedowns. Pretty weaksauce considering everyone expected a back & forth war or intricate technical battle.

Grove/Herman is still my sentimental pick, as though not as technically sound as Mamoru/BJ, it had much more drama, and the numerous close calls had me shouting wildly on several occassions.

I don't think you can hold GSP "fighting to not lose" against him as this is BJ Penn we're talking about and nobody can/has/will finish him. I'm curious as to what BJ's strategy was after the first round. GSP's leg kicks affected him a lot more then people think as his mobility slowed down greatly after round one.

Grove/Herman is a better fight, though, no doubt.

I hold GSP's strategy against him because if fights were always fought by guys trying not to lose... well, MMA would fucking suck. Not only that, I think he really could've done more considering how little BJ was showing later in that fight. BJ's guard game has never been that dangerous, and yet GSP seemed to have nothing in him to open up offensively once he scored a few takedowns.

Just a dissapointing fight on many levels.

I agree the fight was disappointing, and to me wasn't even the best fight on the card. I'd take the main event and Menno Joe's match over it.

Franklin/Loiseau is my pick for now. This was based on the live experience though. I saw it once the day after and it seemed to hold up.

Mark Hunt vs. TK is another good pick. Gomi vs. Aurelio for sentimental value haha.

Anyone seen everything from PRIDE this year? I've been D/L'ing their shows all year and never bothered to watch any of it. Odds are I'll watch them all in a week or so to get caught up.

Much like LOTC, Diego Sanchez vs Karo Parisyan is my pick for MMA MOTY. It's easily the best UFC fight this year (what a disappointment Bonnar vs Griffen II was). It's really a matter of what everyone else has put out there.

Anyone seen everything from PRIDE this year? I've been D/L'ing their shows all year and never bothered to watch any of it. Odds are I'll watch them all in a week or so to get caught up.

Much like LOTC, Diego Sanchez vs Karo Parisyan is my pick for MMA MOTY. It's easily the best UFC fight this year (what a disappointment Bonnar vs Griffen II was). It's really a matter of what everyone else has put out there.

Bonnar/Griffin II was a solid fight. If you thought it was disappointing it sounds like you were expecting a replica of the original which everybody knew was not going to happen.

Bonnar/Griffin II was a solid fight. If you thought it was disappointing it sounds like you were expecting a replica of the original which everybody knew was not going to happen.

I thought Bonnar/Griffin 2 was much better then 1st honestly, because the 1st one wasn't really an MMA bout, more like an ugly street fight, where as the 2nd one was more technical, and really showed Griffin's improvement as a fighter.

No one expected a replica of the original. Don't put words in my mouth. The rematch was a clinic put on by Griffen. He has excelled so far past Bonnar in terms of technique it was ridiculous. He could have held him at bay all he wanted and picked him apart. The last fight, while some might consider it ugly, was at least exciting. Their rematch held no excitement for me when it sunk in how much better a fighter Griffen was and how little chance Bonnar had to win it.