TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

What to do with BJ Penn

Clearly things did not go the way BJ Penn had hoped they would on Saturday night. For all purposes if that was his first defense of "his belt" then he's no longer champion. Rematches w/ GSP and Hughes are definetly possible and would be huge draws.

The question now is "Is BJ's heart still in this?".

He was dejected as fuck in the octagon and after the fight backstage and I'm curious right now to see what they do with him. They can't give him the winner of Hughes/GSP, not without him getting a victory in between then over a higher-ranked WW. I'm not sure he'll move up to MW because of the score he's got to settle with St. Pierre. There are a few options, though.

- BJ vs Karo

- BJ vs Diego

A win over either of these guys would allow BJ to stay in WW title contention and would give him something to do while waiting for a winner of GSP/Hughes. I'm currently operating on the assumption that GSP is going to beat Hughes for the title and if that happens they could easily just do Hughes vs Penn as a straight-up grudge fight but also make it a #1 contender fight. Penn vs GSP as St. Pierre's first title defense would be awesome but a lot of people would complain that the first guy GSP is facing is the last guy he beat.

So, what would you do with BJ Penn?

Guest Brian

I'd just let him move up in weight. Now is his chance, and they don't have to risk the rest of the division (which is part of the reason they dropped Trigg)

Guest Brian
Send him as a UFC-rep for Pride's Openweight Grand Prix.

You let him get that high in weight and he'll never get back down to 170.

- BJ vs Karo

- BJ vs Diego

Diego ain't ready for BJ, he'd get destroyed.

Make it happen, Dana.

Not really, but Matt Hughes would beat him in a rematch at this point.

I also would say Matt would beat GSP too. He's gonna move up in weight after he does both, or retire, because there would be nothing left for him at 170 were that to happen.

Oh right this thread's about BJ Penn. Well, he'll get a rematch with GSP which would be five rounds in the future for sure, it's just a matter of when. But for now they should just build him back up as a challenger to GSP/Hughes and move from there. They should have let Penn reintroduce himself to the fans rather than throwing him to the wolves right away, but he'll be back. As far as money is concerned, he doesn't need it so he'll fight to be the best, but he's gotta show more grit than he did against St. Pierre and really push the pace of the fight if he wants to do it. That fight was his to lose, as the first round proved, and he blew it.