TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thoth

So I pissed off a bunch of people in a forum

Here's the link.

I question whether I came off as too hard or brusque, but one thing to keep in mind is that these folks are casual gamers, and I didn't realize it until my argument was dug in.

That IS their real life.

Seriously, I had a friend, his housemate used to blow off actual social events because he had gotten a group together in Everquest.

^This is true. While I don't know if its still as true with as much as my friends/people I know, there was a good few months where all they would do is come home and play WoW, wouldn't go out at the weekend and just became completely involved in the game.

Scrub mentality is always fun.

But sheesh, these people are nuts. Comparing jumping a fence in WoW to rape or slavery? Oooookay then...

Never played WoW, but I'd kind of agree with you here, as I too ignored opponents who said "10 Minutes No Rush" in Starcraft.

Cheap? Sure. Against the rules? No.

While that wasn't exactly an exploit, it still applies here. In competitive gaming, anything short of rewriting code (or fucking with the network, ala Standbying in Halo 2) is acceptable. Don't like it? Find a way to counter it. Thoth made numerous references to fighting games I'll never play, but I imagine people who are good at them know the exploits, and as a result, know ways to avoid or counter them.

Don't want your opponents to get an advantage by gate jumping? Then you do it too. The advantage is null, and within this single game of AB, your teams are on equal ground.

Edited by chirs3

Guest Vitamin X
WoW is a big reason why my girlfriend cheated on me. Gods honest truth.

... whoa now. I think this requires some elaboration.

Never played WoW, but I'd kind of agree with you here, as I too ignored opponents who said "10 Minutes No Rush" in Starcraft.

While that wasn't exactly an exploit, it still applies here. In competitive gaming, anything short of rewriting code (or fucking with the network, ala Standbying in Halo 2) is acceptable. Don't like it? Find a way to counter it. Thoth made numerous references to fighting games I'll never play, but I imagine people who are good at them know the exploits, and as a result, know ways to avoid or counter them.

Don't want your opponents to get an advantage by gate jumping? Then you do it too. The advantage is null, and within this single game of AB, your teams are on equal ground.

Now hang on a second there, if you join a game with explicit instructions saying no rush and then you rush, that is plain out cheap.

It's one thing if you make a game with that in teh title.

Anyways, with starcraft? Unless I SEE someone in real life, agree to no-rush, I don't TRUST anyone online to do that (wait to rush)

Now hang on a second there, if you join a game with explicit instructions saying no rush and then you rush, that is plain out cheap.

I know it's cheap. I never said it wasn't. In fact, if you look right up there at the bolded statement...

Besides, there's plenty of ways to counter rushes. If you don't want to get rushed, learn 'em.

That said, I don't go out of my way looking for 10 MIN NO RUSH games, but if I happen to join a game and then they say "No rush!", fuck 'em.

Edited by chirs3

I know it's cheap. I never said it wasn't. In fact, if you look right up there at the bolded statement...

Besides, there's plenty of ways to counter rushes. If you don't want to get rushed, learn 'em.

That said, I don't go out of my way looking for 10 MIN NO RUSH games, but if I happen to join a game and then they say "No rush!", fuck 'em.

Okay, that's more understandable. I usually joined games with no rush in the name

That IS their real life.

Seriously, I had a friend, his housemate used to blow off actual social events because he had gotten a group together in Everquest.

I have the opposite problem. I'm paying for WoW and have no time to play it. Cancellation date here I come. =\

She started working at a LAN center I took her too (mostly because our friends worked there) and they basically hired her because she was a girl. She started playing WoW, became obsessed, and ended up cheating on me with two guys at the same time (guys she worked with, who were suppose to be friends of mine) and is now dating some 4 foot tall, 20 pound kid who she says she has more in common with then with me (which is a lie. He just plays WoW). She is playing WoW right now, I will bet my life on it.

Fuck WoW.

She started working at a LAN center I took her too (mostly because our friends worked there) and they basically hired her because she was a girl. She started playing WoW, became obsessed, and ended up cheating on me with two guys at the same time (guys she worked with, who were suppose to be friends of mine) and is now dating some 4 foot tall, 20 pound kid who she says she has more in common with then with me (which is a lie. He just plays WoW). She is playing WoW right now, I will bet my life on it.

Fuck WoW.

Take solace in the fact that she'll probably get tired of the constant raiding and farming for items and realise what an idiot she was.

Then she'll probably look at her new boyfriend and call you the next day. <3 Spike.

obviously the only way to get back at her is to join the opposite faction and kill her repeatedly on there.

That may be the greatest idea ever. Do I want to buy a level 60 character to follow her around and kill her constantly?