TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

V for Vendetta

Yeah, the kiss was pretty corny. As I said, Evey debating unmasking V is SO much more effective, and will probably be in the Director's cut. It's a pretty essential scene they left out.

They just took the message from that scene and put it at the end where Evey says that V was everyone.

I agree, the unmasking is something I thought was a key payoff that never really happened.

I might need to see this again, since I'm still not 100% what I thought of it. I thought most of the film was really solid, but there was one stretch minus V (well sorta) that I found tedious:

It was when Evey is "taken" by the govt. and interrogated. For a while we see them shave her head, threaten to have her shot, and then get the whole drawn out subplot about the lesbian couple. Then we find out if was actually V doing this all along to break Evey to the point where she doesn't give a shit.

Personally I just didn't care for this...it slowed the movie down to a crawl. I think the same dehumanizing effect could have come from Evey really being captured and having the same stuff done to her, drop the lesbian subplot, and then V rescues her in some fashion before she is shot. This would have added a nice little action scene and also made V a bit more sympathetic to boot (though I dunno if V being sympathetic is exactly a high priority).

I agree, the unmasking is something I thought was a key payoff that never really happened.

I might need to see this again, since I'm still not 100% what I thought of it. I thought most of the film was really solid, but there was one stretch minus V (well sorta) that I found tedious:

It was when Evey is "taken" by the govt. and interrogated. For a while we see them shave her head, threaten to have her shot, and then get the whole drawn out subplot about the lesbian couple. Then we find out if was actually V doing this all along to break Evey to the point where she doesn't give a shit.

Personally I just didn't care for this...it slowed the movie down to a crawl. I think the same dehumanizing effect could have come from Evey really being captured and having the same stuff done to her, drop the lesbian subplot, and then V rescues her in some fashion before she is shot. This would have added a nice little action scene and also made V a bit more sympathetic to boot (though I dunno if V being sympathetic is exactly a high priority).

I can understand why you found it tedious, but it had to be done that way.

If they had replaced THAT with an action scene, I'd be severely pissed. I'm not sure if it is explained in the movie well enough, but the lesbian subplot is very, very important to the entire movie. While she is being dehumanized, the only thing keeping her human, the only thing that is keeping her from breaking, is that. This connection with a person she's never met (Nor ever will meet), but is almost as stronger than any relationship she's ever had because of the understanding she has. If they had done it that way, if she had been 'saved' rather than simply letting go, it would have greatly devalued everything.

The fact is that she is finally free because she isn't worried about what they can do to her. V saving her would be a regression on her part; having to depend on V yet again to help her. It's very important to both her growth and the movie itself.

Does that clear it up a bit?

This would have added a nice little action scene and also made V a bit more sympathetic to boot (though I dunno if V being sympathetic is exactly a high priority).

It's not. V should not be sympathised with.

What I want to know is why did the coroner freak out by seeing the flower, since it was never mentioned V grew them in the movie.

Were they in multiple scenes? It could be assumed that he had been leaving them behind at all the murders he had been committing. I mean, he's kill a LOT of people, it wouldn't be outrageous for the Coroner to see that and go "SHIT! NOT GOOD!"

This would have added a nice little action scene and also made V a bit more sympathetic to boot (though I dunno if V being sympathetic is exactly a high priority).

What I want to know is why did the coroner freak out by seeing the flower, since it was never mentioned V grew them in the movie.

Not sure if it's in the comic, but in the novelization, when Finch is reading the Doctors diary, it explains that V was allowed to grow the flowers because he was such a well-behaved subject. It also explains that V used the fertilizers that he grew the flowers with to make the bombs he used to blow up the facility. They kind of allude to it when they say that the Lesbian couple grew the flowers later on in the movie.

Perhaps that will be included in the DVD.

Were they in multiple scenes? It could be assumed that he had been leaving them behind at all the murders he had been committing. I mean, he's kill a LOT of people, it wouldn't be outrageous for the Coroner to see that and go "SHIT! NOT GOOD!"

I'm pretty sure they just completely messed that part up. Why would she be worried if she saw a flower at her workplace?

Not sure if it's in the comic, but in the novelization, when Finch is reading the Doctors diary, it explains that V was allowed to grow the flowers because he was such a well-behaved subject. It also explains that V used the fertilizers that he grew the flowers with to make the bombs he used to blow up the facility. They kind of allude to it when they say that the Lesbian couple grew the flowers later on in the movie.

Yeah it's in the comic, but since they left that scene out of the movie, her reaction to the flowers makes no sense at all to people who didn't know about what V did at Larkhill.

Yay for the banning!

I want to see this movie again. :P

Question: did you guys all get little survey's when you went to the movie? We went on opening night and they were handing out specific survey's about the movie for you to fill out afterwards (ie: favourite scenes, characters, etc).

Depends. Did you go to an IMAX showing? ME and my friends went to the local IMAX, and were given a survey that, they said, will decide the future of R-rated movies on the IMAX screen.

Nope. Just a "regular" screen showing when I saw it.

Justice, to respond to your comments. I thought the whole Evey interrogation stuff (particularly the lesbian stuff) seemed like a Wachowskis extraneous bit that reeked of Matrix Reloaded. As in stuff like the Rave or the Counsellor Hamann/Neo scene. Stuff that could be cut out and no one would notice. Mind you, the subplot in V For Vendetta is nowhere near as tedious as those scenes.

Justice, to respond to your comments. I thought the whole Evey interrogation stuff (particularly the lesbian stuff) seemed like a Wachowskis extraneous bit that reeked of Matrix Reloaded. As in stuff like the Rave or the Counsellor Hamann/Neo scene. Stuff that could be cut out and no one would notice. Mind you, the subplot in V For Vendetta is nowhere near as tedious as those scenes.

Wow. This frightens me a bit. Mind you, its' a lot eaiser to read panels for that than likely script it (Which is the problem with Moore; he often puts so much on his plate when it comes to plots and subplots, which is why he generally doesn't translate well), but the Rave scene? Man... I'm honestly frightened if he made it feel like that. I always thought that was one of the stronger parts of the book. :(

Guest Evolution

The rave scene from Matrix Reloaded and the torture scenes from V from Vendetta are apples and oranges, man.

Especially considering that the latter actually has a payoff, and the former is just there for the sake of showing titties.

Actually, they are kinda similar. Bondage and Repression are common themes in the Wachowskis work, mostly because one of them is a Fetishest and dated a Dominatrix and is into that kinda thing. The rave scene was supposed to be a release from fear - to show the machines that they weren't afraid -, just as imprisoning Evey was to make her unafraid of standing up to the man.

I always thought the rave scene in Zion was the Wachowskis' poor attempt to portray the free-wheeling Rastafarians on sattelite 'Zion' in Neuromancer. There, you have people who live on a fucking sattelite, but eschew modern technology. Smoke a lot of herb, live on a sattelite!

It was honestly a pleasant surprise to me too. I don't go to movies I think will suck, and I didn't think V would really suck, but I was prepared to be disappointed. However, it was actually really good. I was prepare to hate it since Alan Moore had disowned it, but they actually, in my mind, kept V decidedly a villainous hero, They kept his mad, theatrical flair, I think they did great. And the last action sequence, though tacked on to excite the audience, was the bees' knees.

The only recent movie that has pleasantly surprised me like that is Constantine, which I was fully prepared to hate, but was, IMO, very surprisingly good. Not a great mocie, but good. Who knew a blonde, alcoholic, chain-smoking English asshole could be portrayed quite competently by Keanu?

By the by, the entire fake capture/torture scene is in the comic almost panel for panel (If not expanded), so to blame the Wachowskis for that is a bit off-base, they did a good job capturing the spirit of it.

To clarify that a bit....it wasn't the entire torture of Evey that felt like the Rave or Counsellor Hamann. I think it was mainly the lesbians subplot that seemed extraneous and really slowed the film down (which is why it seemed like the Matrix Reloaded). Mind you, it did turn out to have a point in terms of V's motivation (Evey's too I suppose), but good grief didn't we already have enough motivation for V as far as what was done to him?

The Rave and Counsellor Hamann scenes are like the epitome of "Should have been deleted scenes on DVD, but made it into the actual film." I would say the same about the tedious Merovingian scene at the restaurant but at least there was some sort of plot significance amidst the tedium involving the Keymaker.

If anyone cares to know, I did think V For Vendetta was easily better than either of the Matrix sequels.

. . .

How is that such a hideously ugly man can somehow morph into a not-what-I'd-call-attractive-but-not-hideously-ugly woman? In a few years, I really want to pay a visit to whatever surgeon did his hair restoration, it looks great.

Also, why do all the adds for V still say "from the Wachowski Brothers"? Kinda hypocritical.

To clarify that a bit....it wasn't the entire torture of Evey that felt like the Rave or Counsellor Hamann. I think it was mainly the lesbians subplot that seemed extraneous and really slowed the film down (which is why it seemed like the Matrix Reloaded). Mind you, it did turn out to have a point in terms of V's motivation (Evey's too I suppose), but good grief didn't we already have enough motivation for V as far as what was done to him?

The Rave and Counsellor Hamann scenes are like the epitome of "Should have been deleted scenes on DVD, but made it into the actual film." I would say the same about the tedious Merovingian scene at the restaurant but at least there was some sort of plot significance amidst the tedium involving the Keymaker.

If anyone cares to know, I did think V For Vendetta was easily better than either of the Matrix sequels.

No, I disagree with the Lesbian 'subplot' completely, as it isn't a true 'subplot'. The way you're talking about it, I think either your missed its significance in the scene (

The only reason Evey became free was because of her defiance and connection she had made with her without even knowing her, just like V did

), or they simply did not make it work as well as it could have. The fact that you're calling it a 'subplot' is, again, disturbing since it's a part of the main plot more than anything else.

. . .

How is that such a hideously ugly man can somehow morph into a not-what-I'd-call-attractive-but-not-hideously-ugly woman? In a few years, I really want to pay a visit to whatever surgeon did his hair restoration, it looks great.

Also, why do all the adds for V still say "from the Wachowski Brothers"? Kinda hypocritical.

I think because he's "technically" not a female, yet. :lol:

I'm pretty sure they just completely messed that part up. Why would she be worried if she saw a flower at her workplace?

They say the flower is extinct in the film. They also show that V leaves them with the people he murders.

Unlike the GN they never mention how he grew them in larkhill, so how'd she know that V was the one doing the killings?

I feel that the whole virus issue was mainly for Finch to turn sides. While it makes alot more sense than his LSD drug trip in the novel, it did seem a bit excessive.

Oh yeah after watching the film a second time, I loved how they handeled Prothero.

They say the flower is extinct in the film. They also show that V leaves them with the people he murders.

You still didn't answer my question. Why was the doctor worried when she saw the flower? In the graphic novel, the doctor saw the flower and knew that V was coming to kill her since the man from room 5 at Larkhill used to grow them. In the movie, they didn't even show V growing flowers at Larkhill or even mention that he did. Now again, why would the doctor fear for her life if she didn't even know that V was the man from room 5?

You still didn't answer my question. Why was the doctor worried when she saw the flower? In the graphic novel, the doctor saw the flower and knew that V was coming to kill her since the man from room 5 at Larkhill used to grow them. In the movie, they didn't even show V growing flowers at Larkhill or even mention that he did. Now again, why would the doctor fear for her life if she didn't even know that V was the man from room 5?

I answered this in a post at the top, but here it is again-

I answered this in a post at the top, but here it is again-

...No you didn't. All you did was tell us how she knew in the novelization, which is the same way she knew in the graphic novel. I don't really care if they include that scene in the dvd. The whole point is that they messed it up in the movie and without that scene, there is no way she could have known V was the man from room 5.