TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Good Classical Music

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite symphonies and classical music are. Or hell any kind of instrumental music. Even ones they use in commercials.

One that I'm still trying to figure out the name of is the one that HHH used to enter to. With the choir and everything.

That's Beethoven's "Ode to Joy," Dama. I liked HHH's first theme better, the one with the harpsichord and flute.

Are you soliciting recommendations? I've always loved Holst's The Planets suite. "Jupiter" is the one everyone knows from National Geographic films and such, but I really like "Mars, The Bringer Of War" because it seems to paint a picture of tank warware despite being written before WW1. And it's in 5/4. "Saturn, The Bringer Of Old Age" gets overlooked.

"Rhapsody in Blue" is fantastic, of course. If you're looking for good piano music to just have on, any Erik Satie or Claude Debussy is good.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I was on a kick with trying to transpose famous classical parts to bass guitar, but I'm a theory retard, and couldn't get them to sound how I wanted. Closest I came was the part of The Barber of Seville that's in Bugs Bunny cartoons. Oh, Bolero and 1812, but Zappa already did those.

My favorite piano composers are Scriabin and Debussy. Leo Ornstein wrote almost exclusively for the piano, and has some very impressive stuff, as well. Also, I'd look for Les hueres persanes by Charles Koechlin.

Messiaen was a genius and possibly the greatest composer of the 20th century. I particularly like Des Canyons Aux Étoiles, and his Quartet for the End of Time is very popular.

If you want sypmhonies, I reccommend Shostakovich. He also wrote a set of preludes and fugues as inspired by Bach, and it is a masterpiece.

Lili Boulanger wrote some very good choral music, and died hideously young.

Shostakovich is god.

I especially love his cello concertos and string quartets.

But pretty much everything he wrote has such an edge to it that cannot be emulated anywhere else.

Theres a composer named Yoshiki Hayashi (guy in my avatar) who used to be a metal band before they disbanded. He makes really nice classical music right now. I can upload some stuff since i'm bored to death.

Yoshiki Hayashi- Without You 17 minute tribute song. Probably the best song, classical or not that i've ever heard.

"Flight of the Valkyrie" owns my ass.

I can't decide where its usage I found most amusing: Apocalypse Now, the Blue Brothers, or "What's Opera, Doc?".

Kill da wabbit, indeed.

Guest hasbeen
That's Beethoven's "Ode to Joy," Dama. I liked HHH's first theme better, the one with the harpsichord and flute.

Are you soliciting recommendations? I've always loved Holst's The Planets suite. "Jupiter" is the one everyone knows from National Geographic films and such, but I really like "Mars, The Bringer Of War" because it seems to paint a picture of tank warware despite being written before WW1. And it's in 5/4. "Saturn, The Bringer Of Old Age" gets overlooked.

"Rhapsody in Blue" is fantastic, of course. If you're looking for good piano music to just have on, any Erik Satie or Claude Debussy is good.

Mars..is used by a few college football bands now, when the team makes a sack or big hit, etc. I think I've heard it in a couple of movies even though one was a comedy.

Guest hasbeen
A Fifth Of Beethoven by Walter Murphy

Funny, I just brought up the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack today, it's on there, and I haven't thought about it in years.

Here's an interesting aside: In Alan Moore's V for Vendetta, V (5) listens to Beetchoven's 5th symphony. The infamous beginning notes, make a V in Morse Code ..._. Mad British bastard.

Guest The Satanic Angel

I'm partial to Mark Camphouse. He's a modern classical composer. His pieces touch an emotional chord akin to what Mars does to me. I just get into it. A Movement for Rosa and Watchmen, Tell Us of the Night are quite moving.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Try some Varese. Loads of percussion. Blurs the line between music and not-music.

For obvious reasons, I've been trying to track down some Varese, but I can't seem to find any on Soulseek or at the record stores. I do enjoy John Cage, however, and can see where his influence comes into play in Zappa's work.

Oh hey, I finally picked up ZINY when I was in Chicago the other day. The Don Pardo bits are funny as hell.

For obvious reasons, I've been trying to track down some Varese, but I can't seem to find any on Soulseek or at the record stores. I do enjoy John Cage, however, and can see where his influence comes into play in Zappa's work.

Oh hey, I finally picked up ZINY when I was in Chicago the other day. The Don Pardo bits are funny as hell.

Hrm... they've got plenty of Varese at my local TOWER in the Classical section. Strange. Varese is top-notch badassosity, but while it is definitely good, he most definitely the "interesting" of Zappa's classical influences, whereas Stravinsky would be the "emotionally moving and undisputed genius." I guess that is kind of a given, but eh.

John Cage is a genius, on every level.

The most recent modern classical music I have heard was Glenn Branca's "Symphony No. 13 for 100 Guitars." Err... at least I consider it "modern classical"...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That's one of my favorite Mothers lineups. Not quite on the level of Duke/Thompson/Fowler/Fowler/Underwood/Brock, but Terry Bozzio makes up for it.

The most recent modern classical music I have heard was Glenn Branca's "Symphony No. 13 for 100 Guitars." Err... at least I consider it "modern classical"...

You heard it at the Disney Hall?