TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

Recommend me some good, non-recent computer games

It's income tax time, and I've recently been given my allowance ($50). Not sure what all I'll buy with it, though I have a few ideas.

Having finished with Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption and unable to play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines due to incompatible video cards, I was hoping I might find something of a similar vein [pun intended]. Something that's dark/gothic, which focuses on dialogue/character/stories, though has your standard use of weapons and fighting.

Final Fantasy XI had crossed my mind, but I'm not looking to pay for any subscription costs.

If not an RPG, then perhaps something of an adventure? My local Wal-Mart has Syberia one and two for $10 (seperate, that is) and it seems interesting.

My graphics card is able to play VtM:R without a problem, yet it crashes every time for for VtM:Bloodlines after the intros [i've tried everything to get it to work, even bypassing the damned movies...still, nothing]. So, naturally, I'm also looking for a few games that will play without a problem. Sys Specs are as follows:

Dell Latitude 110L

Processor - Celeron M 350 1.30GHz

RAM - 512mb DDR 2-400 2

Graphics - Integrated Intel 910GML (w/Direct X 9.0)

I think MMORPGs fucking suck, so take that into consideration.

Fallout/Fallout 2

Planescape: Torment

X-Com: UFO defense

Icewind Dale (I'm probably one of very few people who prefers it to Baldur's Gate)

Both Dark Sun games (very old)

Any of the Black Isle D&D based games are a good bet for RPG's. Torment, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale...I've heard Neverwinter Nights is okay, but I dunno if that'd work for your PC.

Could try Morrowind, but again, dunno if that'd run well for you. If it does, thats about as deep of an RPG experience as you'll find.

You can buy a pack of Fallout 2, Planescape and Baldur's for like $10.

The Dark Sun games were packed with some Arab-themed Zelda clone (surprisingly good) and something else for $10 10 years ago. I bet the Dark Sun games are public property now.

And if you have a decent computer, I hear Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is incredible. Haven't played it myself.

Oh, and Deus Ex is an incredible game, subtly funny and very well made, but as fair warning, they never ended the story.

And if you have a decent computer, I hear Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is incredible.

Rest assured, it is incredible.

You can buy a pack of Fallout 2, Planescape and Baldur's for like $10.

The Dark Sun games were packed with some Arab-themed Zelda clone (surprisingly good) and something else for $10 10 years ago. I bet the Dark Sun games are public property now.

And if you have a decent computer, I hear Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is incredible. Haven't played it myself.

Oh, and Deus Ex is an incredible game, subtly funny and very well made, but as fair warning, they never ended the story.

Fuck yeah to anything in this post, especially that $10 deal, those are 3 goddman amazing (and long) games, if a bit dated. But if you're looking for good story, who gives a fuck about graphics.

The first Black and White.

My old computer was superior spec-wise, and couldn't play Black and White. Don't know why.

I thoroughly enjoyed Diablo II when I purchased it two years ago - $5 well spent.

Guest Coffey

The first thing that came to my mind was Legacy of Kain, or course, I think that was PSX exclusive. I'm not sure about that though. If you've never played it, you should look into it.

How about the original Diablo? A lot of people fell in love with 2 and the LoD expansion without ever even playing the O.G. Diablo 2 is a lot better and will consume you if you play it. However, I had a GeForce 2, 256 RAM and a Pentium 3 and could still run it...OK. I died a lot due to system lag, especially in hell mode.

Legacy of Kain was also on PC.

Really fun game, wicked story, copious gore, lots of cool weapons. The loading times on the PSX version are absolutely atrocious, though.