TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

Good site for music torrents

Today I was looking for Aquemini and couldn't find it anywhere. I never thought that this was that obscure, but maybe I was wrong? Also more indie stuff, like I can't find Sebadoh anywhere. I recently got into that band when a friend of mine let me listen to some stuff, and am now trying to find some of my own.

What are some good sites for more indie stuff when it comes to torrents, or lesser known rap albums?

I don't give a shit if you steal from some multi-million selling artist, but those indie acts I know you enjoy aren't making a living off of being on some small label and selling 30,000 copies of their record if that. They deserve your money.

This is true, although I haven't really heard any new indie in awhile. Most of the stuff I have is older and by bands that have since disbanded. All the newer material I hear is from a dormmate that does reviews and therefore gets them for free anyway.

Have you heard of 12 Rods? Said friend swears by them, and from what I've heard I really like them as well.

Well I don't know much about Sebadoh, but I was told that they were very influential in the Indie scene and that I should check out their stuff.

Something that bothers me about most indie fans is their snobbish opinion towards rap music, like they discount it as a genre entirely. It really makes it hard for me to take their opinion on anything seriously, even though a lot of the indie rock that they like might be really good.

I know Pitchfork is hip hop friendly, but that's a different story. Pitchfork almost wants to make up for years of ignoring hip hop by overrating anything that's come out afterwards. I stopped going to that site awhile ago.

Maybe it's just the local scene, but Indie Montreal'ers dislike hip hop for the reasons that most do, which is kind of stupid.

Oh man, I d/l Wolf Parade on the recommendation of someone else. It was not good at all. Definitely disapponting. I got rid of it.

The strip clubs are fairly nice, but I don't find strip clubs that appealing anyway.

I went to a local concert last night, really fucking bad too. I think I'm going to ignore anything artistic about this city. The worst part was the band onstage had these shit eating grins on their face, like they had a fucking vision and were gonna change the world but it was sooooo bad. They were called the Reformations, were two guys on acoustic guitar and one of them was a white guy with long ass dreads. Gross.

Oh man, I d/l Wolf Parade on the recommendation of someone else. It was not good at all. Definitely disapponting. I got rid of it.

The strip clubs are fairly nice, but I don't find strip clubs that appealing anyway.

I went to a local concert last night, really fucking bad too. I think I'm going to ignore anything artistic about this city. The worst part was the band onstage had these shit eating grins on their face, like they had a fucking vision and were gonna change the world but it was sooooo bad. They were called the Reformations, were two guys on acoustic guitar and one of them was a white guy with long ass dreads. Gross.

the wolf parade are pretty fantastic. sure they're a retread of about 10 different hipster musical styles & groups, but the actual album itself is a total dance party. they're like the fleetwood mac of the 21st century. leave them alone. the arcade fire, while enjoyable, i can see why they're intrinsically disliked by many.

I really like Wolf Parade too, especially the second half of the album. As for music-stealing stuff, I also use Soulseek--or, rather, the Mac client for it, ssX. Far and away the best thing you can use if you're running OSX.

I very rarely use file sharing to get older albums, unless said older albums are really expensive and I'm using it as a stopgap till I can justify spending $30 (re: Songs in the Key of Life).

Not to throw this discussion back on topic or anything, but you can also find a lot of the good indie stuff (or good music in general) on the Indious Indie Life and Indiecent hubs on DC++. Just search for "indie" off of the master list and those two should come up for you.

I've been buying more and more of my music lately, because it's good to actually own it rather than just have the MP3s. Plus, when my external hard drive got wiped out, I lost a lot of my illegitimately obtained stuff. So yeah, good to buy your music.

Liking hip hop is very indie these days. Has been for the past couple of years. Don't you read Pitchfork? Fishscale got a 9.0 or something.

Hipster Hop

If you want free Indie music, you can't go wrong with Archive.org, they have a few lives shows by Someone/some people called Radioactive which is rap, but if you look in open source music there'll be stuff there too. Also Garageband.com has rap

p2p

Get it free here.

Soulseek is awesome. I recently got Red Sparrowes and Pelican music from there. Hell, it's got just about everything I would want.