TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Stop saying Shelton Benjamin is nothing more then a Spot Wrestler...

Dude, he is a spot wreslter. He has talent, but he is nothing more than a spot wrestler. Sabu style down pact, even with the blown spots.

You guys keep saying this.

Go watch his tag team matches with WGTT Vs. Los Guerrero or that Benoit match I suggested. Their weren't too many spots there. To compare Benjamin to Sabu is complete bullshit.

Give Benjamin a good technical wrestler, and he will put on a good mat wrestling match.

Guest Coffey

I've seen his shit with WGTT. I saw him overshadowed by everyone else. You say he had a good match with Benoit on Raw? A-Train had good matches with Benoit.

Benjamin has only ever impressed me in two gimmick matches at Wrestlemania where all he had to do was wait to hit his one or two spots and then go home. He hit them and was impressive. Outside of that, though, all he does is lack charisma and blow spots. There's a reason they brought in "mama" for him and it's not because she was funny, it's because he can't get over on his own. He is the definition of career midcarder. Right down to his look, ringwork and promos. He's no better than anyone else around him at his position on the card.

I've seen his shit with WGTT. I saw him overshadowed by everyone else. You say he had a good match with Benoit on Raw? A-Train had good matches with Benoit.

Benjamin has only ever impressed me in two gimmick matches at Wrestlemania where all he had to do was wait to hit his one or two spots and then go home. He hit them and was impressive. Outside of that, though, all he does is lack charisma and blow spots. There's a reason they brought in "mama" for him and it's not because she was funny, it's because he can't get over on his own. He is the definition of career midcarder. Right down to his look, ringwork and promos. He's no better than anyone else around him at his position on the card.

You have to actually watch the match then just assumed. Benoit can carry a wrestler yes, but he didn't carry Benjamin. It was a mat wrestling match, and it was heavily praised by the fans on the net at the time, infact everyone wanted to see Benjamin/Benoit fued, but of course Benoit switched to Smackdown.

And no, Benjamin was not overhadow by everyone else in his WGTT. He was a better worker then Haas. But whatever your entitled to your opinion.

He is resorted to spot wrestling, because thats what the WWE wants from him.

Dude, he is a spot wreslter. He has talent, but he is nothing more than a spot wrestler. Sabu style down pact, even with the blown spots.

Go watch his tag team matches with WGTT Vs. Los Guerrero or that Benoit match I suggested. Rheir weren't too many spots there. To compare Benjamin to Sabu is complete bullshit.

Give Benjamin a good technical wrestler, and he will put on a good mat wrestling match.

You are citing matches from a few years ago.

What's a recent match that he's shown his fantastic mat skills in ?

[

Go watch his tag team matches with WGTT Vs. Los Guerrero or that Benoit match I suggested. Rheir weren't too many spots there.

You do realise that every move in a pro wrestling match is a spot right?

[

Go watch his tag team matches with WGTT Vs. Los Guerrero or that Benoit match I suggested. Rheir weren't too many spots there.

You do realise that very move in a pro wrestling match is a spot right?

He doesn't.

Go watch his tag team matches with WGTT Vs. Los Guerrero or that Benoit match I suggested. Rheir weren't too many spots there. To compare Benjamin to Sabu is complete bullshit.

You are citing matches from a few years ago.

What's a recent match that he's shown his fantastic mat skills in ?

None, that's my point.

The WWE have him resorting to spot wrestling, I'm just trying to defend Benjamin saying he can do more then just spot wrestling.

None, that's my point. He's a spot wrestler, although he is capable of mat-wrestling, but he's still a spot wrestler.

EFA

[

You do realise that very move in a pro wrestling match is a spot right?

Yes, but we are talking about RVD like spots.

None, that's my point. He's a spot wrestler, although he is capable of mat-wrestling, but he's still a spot wrestler.

EFA

What does that stand for???

I like Benjamin. In the past, he has been able to show charisma, and decent facials. He hasn't been able to show that since they decided he would be jobbed out to Carlito and Masters... and make him the guy who has a losing streak... and that storyline doesn't do shit for anyone.

He displayed a little more charisma during his match with Chavo on the past RAW.

I think what really fucked him up... was the lack of confidence they showed in him. It also didn't help when he lashed out on some road agent, or something like that.

I noticed recently they've been doing what the smarks are wanting them to do with Benjamin and make him have a Terrell Owens type character.

EFA

What does that stand for???

Edited for accuracy.

As for Shelton, I like him. Spot wrestler or not, he's cool enough in and out of the ring. No natural charisma but they can't strike gold all the time.

Remember the Benjamites? Remember the HARDCORE love this place used to have for Shelton? Remember the time when everyone's top ten list of wrestlers had Benjamin's name on them? Remember the, "this guy is going to be the break out star of WGTT. Haas is good, but Benjamin is the total package. He can even keep up with Brock and Benoit!"

My oh my, but what have you done for me lately Shelton Benjamin?

EFA

You could say that if you were accurate, but what I said was accurate, so go solve it up your bunghole.

Guest wildpegasus

I don't watch Raw much anymore so I really haven't seen too much Benjamin. It appears that he's on a slump after being on a tear there having great matches against Michaels, Benoit, Jericho and one against either Edge or Christian. He did well in those matches and didn't look out of place in the ring. In fact he brought stuff to the table that stars like Benoit and Jericho feast on in being able to have a good match. You have Benjamin as the face in a match against Benoit as a heel and I gurantee everybody will be jumping up and down for it. The one common factor in all those bouts was that Benjamin was a face which fit well into his super athletic gimmick he had going there for awhile. His strengths were featured well.

Now I can't remember but he might've gone on a little slump after that but of course at least some of that is to be expected when he's not wrestling wrestlers like Benoit and Jericho. He also seemed to get a case of the jitters here.

Now he's a heel again except this time he's out on his own wrestling against other wrestlers who aren't as good. This goes against his athletic atributes and his offence which is more suited for a face.

Even if he was a good mat wrestler, he still doesn't sell. Or have charisma. Or have the ability to cut a promo without talking like he just put a big gumball in his mouth. Nor has he done anything to stand out from the rest of the roster and try to have a good match using his brain instead of just a bunch of move, two count, move, two count matches.

Never liked this guy. Make him watch some old wrestling tapes so he can learn how to build a match properly and work a crowd. And work on those promo skills.

Guest CWMwasmurdered
Even if he was a good mat wrestler, he still doesn't sell. Or have charisma. Or have the ability to cut a promo without talking like he just put a big gumball in his mouth. Nor has he done anything to stand out from the rest of the roster and try to have a good match using his brain instead of just a bunch of move, two count, move, two count matches.

Never liked this guy. Make him watch some old wrestling tapes so he can learn how to build a match properly and work a crowd. And work on those promo skills.

I'd say Shelton definetly stands out from most of the Raw roster at least when it comes to In-ring action. He might be a spot wrestler alot of the time but stuff like The Money In The Bank matches really put over just how amazing an athlete he is.

EFA

You could say that if you were accurate, but what I said was accurate, so go solve it up your bunghole.

I could, would, and will say it regardless of it's accuracy.

What exactly am I going to solve up my BUTT ? A math equation ?

Guest Princess Leena

Shelton has that intangible in the ring, though. His athleticism just draws you to him. Even when he botches, and such. That's what WWE needs to focus on with him.

This is why a TO/Rosenhaus angle would be absolutely perfect for him. Shelton just does his fancy spots in the ring. Put over that he's the best athlete in WWE. He's already good at doing cocky face expressions, and such. And have some white preppy guy do the talking for him. I don't even see how it could fail. Well, besides WWE fucking it up, and giving him some lame manager. But, it certainly is better than anything else WWE can think up.

*Shelton botches spot*

"Great athleticism. I want to see more of him".

Shelton's very athletic. Doesn't mean he's a good professional wrestler. Pro Wrestling is more of a storytelling medium than a sport. If a guy lacks charisma and can't draw a crowd in, there is only so much you can do with him. Orton is half the athlete Shelton is but managed to get that "it" factor in Summer 2004.

Shelton has that intangible in the ring, though. His athleticism just draws you to him. Even when he botches, and such. That's what WWE needs to focus on with him.

This is why a TO/Rosenhaus angle would be absolutely perfect for him. Shelton just does his fancy spots in the ring. Put over that he's the best athlete in WWE. He's already good at doing cocky face expressions, and such. And have some white preppy guy do the talking for him. I don't even see how it could fail. Well, besides WWE fucking it up, and giving him some lame manager. But, it certainly is better than anything else WWE can think up.

Robbie Dawber, has the perfect look to play Rosenhaus.

Oh God, Dawber would be priceless as Drew Rosenhaus.

People on here act like it's a bad thing to be a spot wrestler. I ask you, which will get a guy more over with a crowd: Doing a plancha into the 5th row or doing a pro wrestling imitation of amateur mat wrestling?

Ironically, that's the main thing Shelton has going for him that Haas doesn't. The ability to bust out that big money spot. Haas is like watching Val Venis or someone...competent but no real standout moves.

Someone like RVD can do more than the spots, it's just when he has 5 mins. for a match with Trevor Murdoch there isn't time for much beyond "Rolling Thunder, split leg moonsault, 5 Star Frogsplash." Just take a look at some of the Lynn ECW matches, with all the intricate chains of moves and counters. There's actually psychology there from match to match, but since it's not the "Oww, you worked over my leg!" type of psychology it flies over people's heads.

RVD will never be like he was in ECW.

I say that for a couple of reason. One, in ECW he had a role in the promotion. Two, he was the man to beat for most of the time. Three, he was over with the fans, and could talk, and wrestle longer than 5 minutes and not have to be in ladder matches every week.

Until the WWF pushes him, he will stay unmotivated. Basically, he's just going through the motions to get his pay check.

RVD will never be like he was in ECW.

I say that for a couple of reason. One, in ECW he had a role in the promotion. Two, he was the man to beat for most of the time. Three, he was over with the fans, and could talk, and wrestle longer than 5 minutes and not have to be in ladder matches every week.

Until the WWF pushes him, he will stay unmotivated. Basically, he's just going through the motions to get his pay check.

The WWE is PUSHING him, he just won the MITB match.

Vince did that just so he could job him to Cena at ONS2...he hates all of us and revels in the fact that even though we can't stand his product we continue to give him money...