TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Stop saying Shelton Benjamin is nothing more then a Spot Wrestler...

True.

But WE all know where that's heading.

He may be getting a slight push, but if you watched ECW when he was there, it's nothing.

It's a Benoit push, all smoke and mirrors to make it look like a push but it's really just a gold watch run. The focus still remains on one person and it's not the champion.

It's a Benoit push, all smoke and mirrors to make it look like a push but it's really just a gold watch run. The focus still remains on one person and it's not the champion.

Yeah your problay right, but then again RVD is way more popular then Benoit was, so who knows how it will all play out.

That's usually dead on, but sometimes even the WWF cannot deny the crowd and give in.

But back to what I was saying, Benoit 2004 overness > RVD 2006 overness

What the hell are you talking about ?

Benoit in 2004 was mega over.

Benoit is only really popular among the smarks crowd, yes he was over, but I don't think he is as popular as RVD.

RVD will always be more popular then Benoit. Just compare the crowd reactions.

RVD is a lot more popular. Benoit did, and still does, get "respect" pops. Like, everyone loves him, but there isn't a majority of die-hard Benoit fans like there are RVD fans, that will chant his name all match, or buy his merchandise (although Benoit hasn't exactly gotten the most choice merchandise items). If Benoit was going up against another top face, he'd probably get booed, but RVD wouldn't. Even when Cena was at the height of his popularity on Smackdown, and he faced RVD in some #1 contendership tournament, RVD was more over.

Benoit is only really popular among the smarks crowd, yes he was over, but I don't think he is as popular as RVD.

Okay......

So I guess all of the fans at RR '03 - '04, WM XX, and Backlash '04 are all "smarks" ?

Okay......

So I guess all of the fans at RR '03 - '04, WM XX, and Backlash '04 are all "smarks" ?

Can't you read? I said he was over.

But not more over then RVD.

RVD is a lot more popular. Benoit did, and still does, get "respect" pops. Like, everyone loves him, but there isn't a majority of die-hard Benoit fans like there are RVD fans, that will chant his name all match, or buy his merchandise (although Benoit hasn't exactly gotten the most choice merchandise items). If Benoit was going up against another top face, he'd probably get booed, but RVD wouldn't. Even when Cena was at the height of his popularity on Smackdown, and he faced RVD in some #1 contendership tournament, RVD was more over.

Your excatly on point.

Okay......

And I never said that you didn't think that Benoit wasn't over, now did I ? DID I ? How about you re-read what I said.

You said this:

Benoit is only really popular among the smarks crowd

I then replied with this:

WHERE did I ever say a word about you saying he wasn't over ?

Okay......

I don't deny Benoit was over, but these four events weren't under normal circumstances.

Yeah, I agree dude.

The point I was making was that not every fan is a smark, but they were all cheering and chating Benoit's name.

I wouldn'g go so far as to say Benoit would be boo'd against the current face line up that WWE has to offer, especially at this point in his career what with him doing the only real tributes to Eddie IMO. In fact I think that if Benoit went against Rey for the title Rey would get boo'd. Benoit was mega over in 04 because of proper booking and a heavy Heyman influence on SD! and people really wanted him to just win the title for once. The fans cooled on him pretty quickly after that. RVD was just mega over during the Invasion and kept that heat throughout some terrible booking. It never matter ed that he wasn't World Champion...he did for the Hardcore and IC titles what he did for the ECW TV title to an extent...even Hogan acknowldged that fact during an interview on Mancow last summer where he asked if RVD(who was injured but on the show) was "still doin' the WWE thing" and sais that WWE dropped the ball on RVD.

"They went left when they shoulda went right" or something like that....and I actually believe what the Hulkster said..

for a meningless contribution to this thread I can't stand Shelton right now...his music needs to go and I wish that they would quit with trying to make their "own" RVD because that seems to be what they're doing with Shelton most of the time...

theintensifier

You seriously must have a problem with reading...

Benoit is only really popular among the smarks crowd, yes he was over,

READ THAT LINE...

What I was saying its most of Benoit fans are smarks, yes marks like him too, but pratically every single smark fan is a Benoit fan. Infact it's pretty much a rule that if you are a smark you have to be a Benoit fan.

Seriously, stop reading just one fucking line out of my posts and try to read the whole post.

Uh, how can you tell someone to read one line when the line before it conterdicts the point you are trying to make?

Besides, not all smarks are Benoit fans, not all Benoit fans are smarks. Thats like saying Hogan only draws the little kids and nobody else.

Or that only women and little girls like Cena, OR that there is a difference between "real heat" and "get off my TV heat" aka "X-Pac Heat."

Despite Cena having male fans (few as they may be) and an ARENA full of people booing (with no audible difference between say, regular booing) for someone to get off of their TV at a LIVE EVENT is basically impossible, these are beliefs and arguments used on the internet. I say just roll with it and see where the idiocy and hypocrisy takes you next.

Okay......

And I never said that you didn't think that Benoit wasn't over, now did I ? DID I ? How about you re-read what I said.

You said this:

Benoit is only really popular among the smarks crowd

I then replied with this:

WHERE did I ever say a word about you saying he wasn't over ?

theintensifier

READ THAT LINE...

What I was saying its most of Benoit fans are smarks, yes marks like him too, but pratically every single smark fan is a Benoit fan. Infact it's pretty much a rule that if you are a smark you have to be a Benoit fan.

Seriously, stop reading just one fucking line out of my posts and try to read the whole post.

Uh, how can you tell someone to read one line when the line before it conterdicts the point you are trying to make?

Besides, not all smarks are Benoit fans, not all Benoit fans are smarks. Thats like saying Hogan only draws the little kids and nobody else.

Wow. How much more do I need to break it down for you EHME ? I mean seriously, you've already dug your grave, and buried yourself with your idiocy.

Okay, here's our argument:

You say Rob Van Dam was / is more popular than Chris Benoit, in which I replied with Benoit in '04 was mega over, and is was more over than RVD right now.

You then say Benoit is only over with the smark crowds. I replied with "So I guess all of the fans at RR '03 - '04, WM XX, and Backlash '04 are all "smarks" ?" You then question my reading ability, and say that you said Benoit was over. Okay, again, where did I say you said he wasn't over, or try to prove to you further that in fact Chris Benoit was over in 2004 ? Exactly I didn't. No, what I asked was referencing to your statement that "Benoit is only really popular among the smarks crowd".

You then reply to that with this:

theintensifier

READ THAT LINE...

Okay. We've already established that Benoit was over, I was the first to say it, and you echoed my thoughts, but apparently you think I am disagreeing with you on that, or something, I'm not quite sure at this point.

Okay, in one sentence you say Benoit is only popular with the smark crowds. Correct ? Yes. Then, you go off and say that most of Benoit fans are smarks, and marks like him to. Okay, which is it, only or most ?

Before you click on the reply button this time EHME, please make sure that you don't contradict yourself again, and that it's somewhat coherent. Also, since you seem to believe that I cannot read, why don't you take a moment, and read carefully what I have said in this post. It may do you some good, friend.

Guest burth179
I have done amatuer wrestling and I think that Angle is a crappy mat wrestler, and RR03 was an example of crappy mat wrestling.

Then how in god's name did he win a gold medal in freestyle wrestling then pal?

That may be the most assenine thing I have ever seen in my life.

Granted he can't "break all his moves out" like he could in an amateur match, but to say he is a crappy mat wrestler is flat out insanity.

And Benjamin also can mat wrestle if given the chance.

Do any of you think it is the booking that is calling for all of these spots rather than focusing on actual wrestling? I am insinuating that it is the booking's fault rather than performers...

Guest Coffey

Being a "real" mat wrestler and a WWE "mat wrestler" are two completely different things.

Guest burth179

Dude, he is a spot wreslter. He has talent, but he is nothing more than a spot wrestler. Sabu style down pact, even with the blown spots.

You guys keep saying this.

Go watch his tag team matches with WGTT Vs. Los Guerrero or that Benoit match I suggested. Their weren't too many spots there. To compare Benjamin to Sabu is complete bullshit.

Give Benjamin a good technical wrestler, and he will put on a good mat wrestling match.

I agree with you sir...

Guest burth179
Being a "real" mat wrestler and a WWE "mat wrestler" are two completely different things.

If you can mat wrestle as an amateur you can do so in WWE. Angle has put on matches where he has mat wrestled very well.

They may be different, but completely different is definitely overstating your case.

You'd get disqualified the second you toss people around like he does in WWE. Tossing people around=/= mat wrestling.

Not true. On a suplex, you must land before your opponent does.

You'd get disqualified the second you toss people around like he does in WWE. Tossing people around=/= mat wrestling.

Not true. On a suplex, you must land before your opponent does.

Which Angle doesn't. Also you can't keep a guy locked in on suplexes, which Angle does.

Okay. We've already established that Benoit was over, I was the first to say it, and you echoed my thoughts, but apparently you think I am disagreeing with you on that, or something, I'm not quite sure at this point.

Okay, in one sentence you say Benoit is only popular with the smark crowds. Correct ? Yes. Then, you go off and say that most of Benoit fans are smarks, and marks like him to. Okay, which is it, only or most ?

Before you click on the reply button this time EHME, please make sure that you don't contradict yourself again, and that it's somewhat coherent. Also, since you seem to believe that I cannot read, why don't you take a moment, and read carefully what I have said in this post. It may do you some good, friend.

I said Benoit is only REALLY popular among the smarks, meaning that they are the main people who think Benoit is the best.

Even during his title reign and his road to winning the title(Aside from WM20), he was not the most popular in the WWE. Guerrero was more popular then Benoit in that time, and infact during the bulk of the HBK/HHH/Benoit fued, HBK was getting the bigger reactions. Evidence of that is Benoit Vs. HBK in Arizona after Benoit won the title, HBK had more fans cheering for him.

Benoit got stale as the champion(not his fault though, the WWE booked him badly), and even Toronto turned on him at Summerslam in favor of Orton.