TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO Smackdown thread 4/7/06

Randy was suspended before this show was taped right? I thought he seemed genuinely pissed off about his match with Angle next week.

Why on earth did the WWE change Brent Albright's name to Gunner Scott? GUNNER SCOTT?!!? If anything screams "bland jobber", it's a name like Gunner Scott.

What was wrong with Brent Albright? It's a fine name, and doesn't sound like anyone else's name in the WWE (not that Gunner Scott does either).

Little decisions like this just boggle my mind.

I have no idea why Brent Albright is now Gunner Scott. Such an out of nowhere jobber sounding name, which sucks since I think he could get over. He's doing solid work in OVW now with their title, feuding with CM Punk and carrying his grandpa's belt to beat people.

God I am so glad Orton is being suspended. I don't think I can take much more of this guy's boring as fuck matches. The guy has regressed so much as a worker that he actually seems to believe using a headlock for 3/4 of a match constitutes actual offense. The strange aspect of the WM match was people saying the match was way too short. If anything the shorter time gave Orton no time to screw around with his boring headlocks, and it made for a better match.

When I see Orton nowdays I can't help but think of something in Foley's book about his ECW tenure. When Foley was feuding with Dreamer he did an angle where he'd forsake hardcore wrestling and did nothing 10 minutes of headlocks. He was flat out TRYING to suck by doing this, bear in mind. Orton is doing this same stuff and is trying to be taken seriously, without a hint of irony.

Why on earth did the WWE change Brent Albright's name to Gunner Scott? GUNNER SCOTT?!!? If anything screams "bland jobber", it's a name like Gunner Scott.

What was wrong with Brent Albright? It's a fine name, and doesn't sound like anyone else's name in the WWE (not that Gunner Scott does either).

Little decisions like this just boggle my mind.

Maybe they want to go for an angle with the GUNNER and the CRIPPLER teaming up to kick some ass or something stupid like that

Tazz "The shortest championship reign is about to come to a history". I guess this midget guidohomo never heard of Yokozuna.

Maybe Tazz meant shortest in relation to the height of the champion? :asshole2:

SD just continues to pile on the quality shows.

MNM vs. London/Kendrick could be a great feud if done right. Excellent match tonight between the two teams. I suspect there's plenty more where that came from.

Gunner Scott showed potential in his match. I don't follow OVW, but it looks like this guy could be another positive addition to the SD midcard.

Benoit's clothesline on Simon was awesome.

The Rey/Randy match was pretty good, but not as good as their SD tv match last year. I definitely didn't like Randy controlling 90% of the offense since he kept going back to the damn chinlock. He's really frustrating to watch in the ring, really. He shows flashes of good offense (like his dropkick to counter Rey's springboard or the 3.0), but then he just can't do anything to follow up except go back to the chinlock. Just let Rey get some more offense instead. I mean, he is the new World champ, and Orton's about to take a break, so it wouldn't hurt to put Rey over really strong.

I like Burchill, but he and Regal really don't have any chemistry. Stop pairing these two together.

Yay for KOTR returning. I always did like that concept.

Boo for no Lashley/Finlay continuation. Come on, that was one of the hottest feuds going, and it needs to keep going strong for a solid No Holds Barred match at JD.

Boo for Dalip Singh too. He looked most unimpressive in his debut. A chop to the head, repeated headbutts, and a kick to the face? Yawn. Hopefully this does not get pushed as the main event for JD.

Overall, solid show. Hopefully this Dalip/Taker angle dies quickly.

SD just continues to pile on the quality shows.

MNM vs. London/Kendrick could be a great feud if done right. Excellent match tonight between the two teams. I suspect there's plenty more where that came from.

Gunner Scott showed potential in his match. I don't follow OVW, but it looks like this guy could be another positive addition to the SD midcard.

Benoit's clothesline on Simon was awesome.

The Rey/Randy match was pretty good, but not as good as their SD tv match last year. I definitely didn't like Randy controlling 90% of the offense since he kept going back to the damn chinlock. He's really frustrating to watch in the ring, really. He shows flashes of good offense (like his dropkick to counter Rey's springboard or the 3.0), but then he just can't do anything to follow up except go back to the chinlock. Just let Rey get some more offense instead. I mean, he is the new World champ, and Orton's about to take a break, so it wouldn't hurt to put Rey over really strong.

I like Burchill, but he and Regal really don't have any chemistry. Stop pairing these two together.

Yay for KOTR returning. I always did like that concept.

Boo for no Lashley/Finlay continuation. Come on, that was one of the hottest feuds going, and it needs to keep going strong for a solid No Holds Barred match at JD.

Boo for Dalip Singh too. He looked most unimpressive in his debut. A chop to the head, repeated headbutts, and a kick to the face? Yawn. Hopefully this does not get pushed as the main event for JD.

Overall, solid show. Hopefully this Dalip/Taker angle dies quickly.

I thought the Orton/Mysterio match was horrible but the rest of it was decent. Singh's judo chop to the head was hilarious. I'd love to see Edge moved to Smackdown as number one heel rather than Orton, as well as a London and Kendrick/MNM fued. I agree Gunner Scott/Brent Albright seemed pretty solid and I'm a fan of Burchill too, the pirate gimmick is amusing.

Watching Velocity and Finlay just squashed Psicosis and Lashley and Vito is the next match. Maybe they'll do a run-in or something.

Matt Hardy squashes Colt Cabana and Road Warrior beats him up afterwards.

EDIT: Nope, looks like Lashley and Finlay's fued is done.

Guest treecelightning

I can sort of understand where the typical Randy Orton hate comes from in regards to his use of headlocks and the like. However, I don't understand it in this context. This was a match where he should have been applying some sort of headlock to Rey for the majority of the match. Rey is at his most dangerous when he's running/flying around the ring in a fast paced "spotty" match. They play to his strengths. Therefor, Orton should be taking him down to the mat and holding him there as much as possible while "weakening" him in some way. I guess you could make the argument that he should be using a greater variety of those types of holds, but if he can't make them look good, then he should stick with what he knows he can do well. He applies headlocks very well, he makes a better show of "applying additional pressure" then just about anyone I can think of outside of Angle applying the Ankle Lock.

I can sort of understand where the typical Randy Orton hate comes from in regards to his use of headlocks and the like. However, I don't understand it in this context. This was a match where he should have been applying some sort of headlock to Rey for the majority of the match. Rey is at his most dangerous when he's running/flying around the ring in a fast paced "spotty" match. They play to his strengths. Therefor, Orton should be taking him down to the mat and holding him there as much as possible while "weakening" him in some way. I guess you could make the argument that he should be using a greater variety of those types of holds, but if he can't make them look good, then he should stick with what he knows he can do well. He applies headlocks very well, he makes a better show of "applying additional pressure" then just about anyone I can think of outside of Angle applying the Ankle Lock.

I don't have a problem with him using "tactics", but seeing exactly the same sleeper hold/headlock put on 6 times in the one match is boring. The other aspects of the match were fine but the flow of both wrestlers' moves was constantly being interrupted until I found it borderline frustrating that he wouldn't put on a hold with the tiniest bit of variety.

Am I the only one who finds it incredibly stupid for Tazz and Michael Cole to have to pretend they have no idea who this guy is when the WWE was promoting THE LONGEST YARD before it came out?

Why do they have to pretend? Couldn't they have just acknowledged who he was? Was it going to take away his size if Tazz and Cole didn't try to insult us by having no idea who it was?

And sorry but a judo chop to the head doesn't impress me. He looks cool in movies thanks to the wonderful world of editing but he looks really stupid slowly moving around a wrestling ring. I'll give him time to improve but sorry, that was a very lackluster debut for me.

Gunner Scott is soooo lame. If they didn't want the name Brent, they should have just called him Scott Albright. WHY, WHY do the writers want change something that works really well in OVW. It's so stupid, are they retarted or something, I really don't get it.

I hope they scrap it and just have Brent tell Benoit "look, my name really isn't Gunner Scott. It's Brent Albright. I just thought a different name would get attention" and Benoit cuts a "YOU NEED TO BE WHO YOU ARE! My Name is Chris Benoit, that's all I needed to get attention, my passion! my heart! my ability is what got me attention, you have that fire? that passion?!? I see some potential in you, but you have to be YOU!"

Hawk, sounds like a good angle to me. Anything to get Albright back to being himself.

As far as Dalip Singh goes, I'm not even going to bother trashing him. I doubt he'll last all that long, just show up for his hideously bad UT feud and then job, then he'll be gone. The only guy who has ever feuded with UT in one of these freakshow feuds and NOT gotten released was Kane. At least this UT/Henry/Singh stuff might produce some hilarious wrestlecrap moments.

I remember a match I saw on WWE 24/7 with Bob Orton vs. Tito Santana, from Prime Time in 1986. It went to a 30 min. draw. Orton spent half the match putting a chinlock on Tito. So if you wanna know where Randy got it from....

About the Gunner Scott thing, they'll probably just change his name back to Brent Albright or to something else and pretend it was always like that. Just like they did to The Tolands/Dicks.

Does anyone else find it stupid that everytime some big wrestler gets the best of the Undertaker, Michael Cole has to yell out "NOONE HAS EVER BEATEN DOWN THE UNDERTAKER LIKE THIS BEFORE~!". Yea Cole. Noone since about a month ago when Mark Henry splashed him through a table, and before that it was noone since Brock, then Kane, and you see where I'm going with this. WWE DESPERATELY needs some sort of continuity here.

I love Paul London and all, but that whining expression on his face when he gets a two count has to go.

Benoit/Dean had absolutely no heat for most of the match. I honestly think it's the new costume that attributed to it. It looks terrible. It didn't help that the match was weak too.

The JBL video was great, and the placement immediately after the match made it better.

What the fuck was with Angle?

"The champion will not be punked out ladies and gentlemen."

Burchill is no Johnny Depp when it comes to delivering lines. It sounds so forced. I still love the gimmick though.

Tazz with a pearl necklace reference.

Finlay and Lashley shouldn't be standing calmly two feet from each other.

I love Dalip Singh. I hope he squashes the shit out of every cruiserweight WWE has. He's so awful that the entertainment I'll get from those segments will be more than I'd ever get seeing them wrestle on Velocity that week.

Does anyone else find it stupid that everytime some big wrestler gets the best of the Undertaker, Michael Cole has to yell out "NOONE HAS EVER BEATEN DOWN THE UNDERTAKER LIKE THIS BEFORE~!". Yea Cole. Noone since about a month ago when Mark Henry splashed him through a table, and before that it was noone since Brock, then Kane, and you see where I'm going with this. WWE DESPERATELY needs some sort of continuity here.

It works on the marks and most wrestling fans, including myself at times, don't bother to think back more than a week in the past unless they're spurred to.