TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Czech Republic

TWIB No. 2: 10 April-16 April

As if the Pirates didn't suck enough, now Sean Casey has a back injury. He had to be helped off the field.

That's an understatement. He could barely get down the dugout steps even with two trainers helping him. On a positive note (for some), Craig Wilson finds his way into the lineup again. Sad statement on Pittsburgh that arguably one of the most talented hitters they have can only get into a game when someone else is hurt.

Guest Sylvan Grenier

Sean Marshall would be a wonderful long reliever. The guy is great for three innings and then he really craps out.

I was gonna post the same thing. Seems to get through the lineup the first time without a hitch and then there are problems. Might not matter tonight, thanks to Matt Murton, who just cleared the bases with a three-bagger. Because of that stupid wall, he's missed a solo shot and a grandslam. Alas, it may be all the same, since he scored the first time and is poised to score with one out this time.

Watching the Red Sox game, I wonder how much Seattle regrets that whole Adrian Beltre deal. Guy just looks sad these days.

Guest NYankees

Wonderful to see the umpire perfectly posistioned at the plate and blows a call in the Yankees game.

Hawkins blows the save by giving up a solo HR with 2 outs, proving my point.

He did that a lot for the Cubs as well. The first two outs he could get without a problem, it was just that third guy who always seemed to ruin things.

Guest NYankees

Didn't Hawkins have a bad blown save against the Mets towards the end of the season in 2004.

Guest Sylvan Grenier

Yes he did, down to the last strike and lost the game.

By the way, Michael Wuertz isn't very good.

Ten strikeouts through five and a third for Glavine. Admittedly, the ump's being real generous with the corners, but still, pretty damn impressive.

4-1 Mets.

Ten strikeouts through five and a third for Glavine. Admittedly, the ump's being real generous with the corners, but still, pretty damn impressive.

4-1 Mets.

That Lo Duca play was ridiculous though. You've got to let Mr. Wright swing the bat with men on the corners.

Yeah, both that and Diaz's error were pretty embarassing, but it's not that big a deal. I might be changing my tune should Heilman turn in another underwhelming performance, though.

Jim Edmonds having another rough game. His third error in two games (one more than all of last season) and three K's, including one with the bases loaded in the 8th, down 1-0.

4-1 Mets.

Understatement of the week. I've noticed the strikezones have shrunk all around the circuit so far this season.

Yeah, both that and Diaz's error were pretty embarassing, but it's not that big a deal. I might be changing my tune should Heilman turn in another underwhelming performance, though.

Heilman is doing his best to rob Glavine of # 277.

Guest NYankees

I'll be the first Yankee fan to say it this season. Joe Torre either needs to retire or be fired!!!!! He is literally taking a nap during this game.

That Jenkins swing scared the shit out of me. One of the last Mets games I went to he hit a late HR to give them the lead off of Armando "No Lead Is Safe" Benitez.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5505934

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. (AP) - A television station declined to broadcast a baseball game because it was being played on Good Friday.

WNEP-TV, which traditionally televises the home opener of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons, said it would not air Friday night's game against Norfolk at Lackawanna County Stadium.

"Good Friday is not an appropriate day for us to do that," C. Lou Kirchen, the station's president and general manager, said on a recent broadcast.

Instead, the station was to air local news, followed by the tabloid show "Inside Edition," an episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and then "Primetime," featuring an interview with Tom Cruise.

Good Friday is one of the most solemn days on the Christian calendar, when believers mark the crucifixion of Jesus.

Jeremy Ruby — general manager of the team, which is a minor league affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies — said he was not surprised by WNEP's decision. He noted that he had decided against holding a fireworks show after the game because of the holiday.

"We were getting pressure from the Catholic community, and that's understandable," Ruby said.

Bill Genello, a spokesman for the Diocese of Scranton, said Good Friday is "a very solemn day in the life of the church." But he said the diocese cannot prohibit anyone from attending a sporting event on Good Friday.

Huh? Why isn't Good Friday an appropriate day to televise a baseball game?

It's just as well. The game sucked with Chris Roberson making two errors and the Barons' bullpen imploding. Not airing a game on Good Friday is insane though. Do we stop broadcasting everything on Good Friday? And this is the same station that has no problem airing their network's NBA games on Christmas Day.

So the Cardinals were shut out at home by the Reds. Man, what.

Edit: And Tony Womack had a game saving defensive play no less.

Guest Sylvan Grenier
I'll be the first Yankee fan to say it this season. Joe Torre either needs to retire or be fired!!!!!

Oh, I'm SURE you've been beaten to it.