TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

Guest Smues

Stinky linky

Protesters Cry Foul At ESPN

Group Wants Tape Of Vulgar Comments Made At Network Roast

Members of the Christian Defense Coalition based in Washington, DC. organized a protest outside of ESPN Friday afternoon. ESPN Vice President of Communications, Mike Soltys, agreed to meet with Patrick Mahoney, the Director of the coalition after the protest. (RICHARD MESSINA / January 25, 2008)

By ANN MARIE SOMMA | Courant Staff Writer

January 26, 2008

Article tools

E-mail Share

Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Reprints Post comment Text size: BRISTOL — - A dozen protesters marched in front of ESPN headquarters in Bristol on Friday, calling for the firing of on-air personality Dana Jacobson for comments she made at a recent roast.

The Christian Defense Coalition wants ESPN to release a videotape of a drunken, vulgar diatribe that Jacobson made against Notre Dame during the network roast. Sports blogs this week were buzzing over a rumor that she cursed the school, its famous "Touchdown Jesus" mural and Jesus himself during the speech.

"ESPN has a tape, but it refuses to release it. We want to know exactly what [Jacobson] said," said Patrick Mahoney, the director of the Christian Defense Coalition. "They aren't saying what she said. We want to know if she said 'f--- Jesus.'"

The incident was during a Jan. 11 roast for ESPN radio personalities Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic in Atlantic City. Jacobson was trying to poke fun at Golic, a former Notre Dame football player. Charlie Weis, the school's football coach, was also in attendance.

An article by Scott Cronick in The Press of Atlantic City the next day said that Jacobson "made an absolute fool of herself, swilling vodka from a Belvedere bottle, mumbling along and cursing like a sailor as Mike & Mike rested their heads in their hands in embarrassment." She was booed off the stage.

But Friday in The Press of Atlantic City, Cronick said, "I did not hear her say 'F--- Jesus,' and neither did some of the other people I spoke to who were at the roast."

The network suspended Jacobson for a week, but she won't be fired, ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys said Friday.

ESPN also says it won't release the videotape.

"We condemned what is on the tape. We don't see a point of putting it out into the public," Soltys said.

On Friday morning, Mahoney and members of the coalition carried placards that read: "ESPN, Say No to Hate Speech" and "Fairness in the Media."

"Hate speech and religious bigotry should have no place in the workplace," said Mahoney, as he held a "Dana, We Forgive You" poster. Mahoney said that if Jacobson had offended Jews, blacks or gays, ESPN would have fired her immediately.

"We want ESPN to use the same standards for religious hate," Mahoney said.

"What she said was wrong, and her comments were inappropriate, but we don't believe she should be fired," Soltys said.

Robert Muckle, 77, drove from Waterbury to Bristol to take part in the protest after reading about Jacobson's remarks in the newspaper.

"It's such a shame to disgrace Jesus and to take his name in vain," Muckle said.

In a statement released through ESPN, Jacobson called her comments about Notre Dame "foolish and insensitive."

"My actions at the roast were inappropriate and in no way represent who I really am," she said. "I have personally apologized to many of the people involved. I won't make excuses for my behavior but do hope that I can be forgiven for such a poor lack of judgment."

Notre Dame spokesman Dennis Brown said, "While we in no way condone Ms. Jacobson's comments, we're aware of the circumstances in which they occurred, and, in the interest of forgiveness, trust that she and ESPN have addressed the matter in an appropriate way."

Jacobson's remarks came just two days after another TV anchor was suspended for offensive language. The Golf Channel suspended Kelly Tilghman for two weeks for saying on air that young players who wanted to challenge Tiger Woods should "lynch him in a back alley."

I'm torn over this. On one hand I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to see this tape. On the other hand I in no way think she should be fired. Especially for something she said at a roast.

It's ridiculous to want someone fired when this wasn't even a highly public tirade and wasn't shown on TV. It's almost like saying "We demand to know what she said that was bad so that we can demand that she be fired!"

It's ridiculous to want someone fired when this wasn't even a highly public tirade and wasn't shown on TV. It's almost like saying "We demand to know what she said that was bad so that we can demand that she be fired!"

Exactly. It was a private roast, wasn't gonna be televised, and was a fucking roast.

I hate people who try to get someone fired because they don't like what they said. This is especially ridiculous cause this was in her personal life. Not on television. There's still a little thing called the 1st amendment people.

From ESPN's bottom line:

"The Boston Herald is reporting that Patriots QB Tom Brady was seen limping around his home."

"Patriots QB Tom Brady appears at Super Bowl rally in Foxborough, MA without protective boot or noticeable limp."

Guest Smues

From Screamin' A's blog:

I really don't care much about Barry Bonds' legal strategy because I'm too fixated on what the one man who got older but still bigger and better as he aged -- Mr. Roger Clemens -- has in store for us all. Expect me somewhere near the steps of Capital Hill on Feb. 13th when Clemens shows up before Congress…Can't miss that show.

He says "the one man who got older but still bigger and better as he aged" in the same sentence he mentions Barry Bonds, but isn't refering to Barry Bonds. Hilarious.

Anyone see Dana Jacobson's apology this morning? I kinda feel bad for her because she'll probably be fired after the super bowl and replaced by broom shaped Sage Steele.

I've had the feeling for a while that they were grooming Sage Steele to take Jacobson's spot on First Take, but I thought it might be because Dana was being promoted or leaving for some other (better) job. Now I wonder if they might just fire her and put Steele in that spot anyway.

And Lushus, I agree. This incident made her seem a lot hotter.