TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

Guest Blue Man Czech

He had a decent column a few weeks ago about the redundant and obnoxious pregame shows, but the irritating conceits of those programs (everyone laughing at nothing, too many faces, &c) have already been pointed out, and other bloggers and talk show hosts have already articulated this better than he did, so I'm not going to give him that much credit for it.

Guest Vitamin X

More Berman videos!!!

"Five minutes a week, jeeesus."

"Did you think of me when you drank it?"

And by far my favorite...

"I mean, for the Colts and Rams? Fuck it!.. Fuck them! They didn't do anything yet. [This must be during the 99 season] Rudolph? No, fuck Rudolph."

Guest Blue Man Czech

These videos actually make me like Chris Berman more. It's nice to see his human side. I think I'm starting to feel backlash against Deadspin. Is it possible to be in opposition to Deadspin AND the Booyahs at the same time?

Guest Vitamin X

I don't think Deadspin was criticizing Berman for his behavior. And there's no "Thousand reasons why Deadspin sucks" threads around yet, but I don't really see the reason to start one, either. Perfectly good blog.

Guest Blue Man Czech

I don't know, they seem to have some sort of deal going with Berman. I just find the tone of the Gawker/Deadspin/Idolator blogs to grow tiresome after a while. It's gotten predictable, y'know? Berman this, Barbaro that. My returns are quickly diminishing. Also, Leitch brushed off the Illini incident from Thursday night as being rather inconsequential, making him a real douche, so I'm irritated with that. He should've condemned his school's behavior.

Guest Blue Man Czech

Oh, and another thing, Deadspin's take--both Leitch and the commenters--on the Specter/NFL Network thing was mind-numbingly retarded. GASP! A senator from PA is an Eagles fan and gets money from Comcast! That doesn't vindicate the NFL's shitty attitude with its network. Maybe if their editor and other participants were more concerned with analyzing the issue at hand, they'd have more to offer on what I feel is an interesting development than just "haha, he's old, he has jowls."

a bit of homerism on my part, but a few nights ago, the #1 play of the night on Sportscenter's Top 10 was a dunk by Eric Coleman of Northern Iowa over a Creighton player. Nevermind that that was that guy's ONLY points of the night in his teams 74-50 loss to Creighton. I'm sure it was a sloow night for them (Thursday I believe), but come on!

Reali even admits today he can't judge an argument worth a damn. He says and facetiously at the beginning "The show that accurately scores the arguments". Why do they keep him around if he admits can't do his job?

Around the time of Superbowl 35, Trent Dilfer joked that the Ravens would be the only team to win the Superbowl despite the quarterback, jokingly admitting he was terrible at what he did. After it was over, the Ravens agreed with him, and let him go because even he could see that he was unable to do the job he was paid for.

ESPN should do the same with Reali.

Alright, I am SURE this has been talked about, but I'm bringing it up because it's bothering me.

What's with Gibson's HR being one of the "Greatest Highlights?" Was it just because he did that silly fist pump? Was it because he was injured? I mean, IT WAS ONLY GAME ONE!

If there has to be a HR in a WS, I'd say Joe Carters. His HR at least won the World Series. Gibson's just won a game.

MUCHHH better than Gibsons. Unless someone has some historic references that I'm not aware of about it.

He was sick as well as injured, he could barely take practice swings or trot around the bases without collapsing, it was his only AB of the Series, he was facing a HoF pitcher and it was the always lovable "3-2, 2 outs, World Series" scenario.

He was sick as well as injured, he could barely take practice swings or trot around the bases without collapsing, it was his only AB of the Series, he was facing a HoF pitcher and it was the always lovable "3-2, 2 outs, World Series" scenario.

And everybody pretty much gave the WS that year to the A's. Nobody gave the Dodgers a shot, and that HR changed the course of the Series that year.

Reali even admits today he can't judge an argument worth a damn. He says and facetiously at the beginning "The show that accurately scores the arguments". Why do they keep him around if he admits can't do his job?

Am I missing something?

Well I don't call myself Kawalimus Kid. I'm just Kawalimus. The kid part was added by someone else and not me.

And I can have whatever gripe I want with whatever network and person. This is a thread about things we don't like about ESPN and Reali is one thing I hate. I never made a thread on this forum about Tony Reali, I'm just talking about him in here like I'm supposed to. Now if I were making threads about it that's another thing.

Guest Smues

So ESPN has this "Greatest highlight" competition going on where fans vote everyday to whittle it down from the field of 16 to 1. Ok whatever, harmless fun and not offensive to ones intelligence like "Who’s now?" was. But then they have Chris Berman doing voice over calls of these clips? Fuck that. I do not need to hear Chris Berman call Hank Aaron's 715th. Thanks ESPN for trying to ruin great moments for me. And there's always the fact that with these 'highlights' you tend to associate the call with the play, so having a competition about the best highlight and then taking out the original call and adding the round mound of JESUS just kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

ESPN fired Sean Salisbury. Or maybe he quit. Either way, he gone.

From the Star Tribune:

Former Viking leaves ESPN

February 26th, 2008 – 4:51 PM by Judd Zulgad

On the same day former Vikings receiver Cris Carter joined ESPN, the network plans to announce ex-Vikings quarterback Sean Salisbury will be departing after a 12-year stay as an NFL analyst. Word is Salisbury’s contract was up and ESPN decided not to renew.

Here are the statements from both sides:

Sean Salisbury: “I want to thank ESPN for 12 great years of talking football on TV and the radio. I have grown as much as I can at ESPN and decided to expand my horizons. I have created a brand and it’s time to expand into other opportunities in TV, radio, Internet, publishing, movies and public speaking, among others. My resume speaks for itself as a football analyst, and I believe I can talk all sports with the best of them.”

ESPN’s statement: “Sean Salisbury has made many contributions to our efforts for the past 12 years. We thank him and wish him all the best.”