TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

Going on to something else, how the hell does some random soccer highlight end up being #1 on Top Plays so often? (and I'm not even a soccer hater, I played the damn game for about 8 years as a youth)

Because they overspent on getting the MLS license, and now they're trying desperately to get people interested?

The thing that is odd about the Boise play being so far in that tourney is that the Statue of Liberty play isn't even the interesting play from that game. It was an amusing little play on a 2 point conversion. The real mindblowing play was the hook and ladder that tied it.

The hockey goal being #1? Um..why? It's more of a moment that was great than any sort of great play. It's a typical hockey goal, with the dude knocking the puck past the goalie.

Are you upset that a bit of hockey took over spring training?

Is it just me or did the Bracketology panel seem waaay too eager to deep throat the Tar Heels today.

I always find it amusing when the "experts" have all #1 seeds going to the Final Four...way to be original, guys!

Is it just me or did the Bracketology panel seem waaay too eager to deep throat the Tar Heels today.

I always find it amusing when the "experts" have all #1 seeds going to the Final Four...way to be original, guys!

Honestly, they're the favorites for a reason. You want them to start running down that the probabilities make the whole process random and picking winners is impossible?

At least Bob Knight went out on a limb and said Pitt is going to win it all.

Honestly, they're the favorites for a reason. You want them to start running down that the probabilities make the whole process random and picking winners is impossible?

yes, al, I understand WHY they made those picks, thanks...

Eat a dick; women's basketball is fine.

No, Agent is right, women's basketball is horrible.

I laughed when I saw it at the front page of espn.com.

Interesting article here. Thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...&id=3299217

The new ombudsman is just ridiculously good.

I'm not a fan, but I don't see the point in bashing a niche sport with a smaller fan base.

It's a niche sport marketed as if it's mainstream. After being beaten over the head with the WNBA constantly, you start to develop a good, healthy resentment toward it.

Eat a dick; women's basketball is fine.

No, Agent is right, women's basketball is horrible.

Fine: both of you can kiss my ass, then. :P

I'd rather watch basketball, at any level, of either gender, than any other sport that ain't basketball. If it came down to it, I'd pick an AAU game over the Superbowl.

I'm not a fan, but I don't see the point in bashing a niche sport with a smaller fan base.

It's a niche sport marketed as if it's mainstream. After being beaten over the head with the WNBA constantly, you start to develop a good, healthy resentment toward it.

Unless, of course, you happen to like the WNBA...

:: points thumbs at self ::

Unless, of course, you happen to like the WNBA...

:: points thumbs at self ::[/color]

Congrats, you're part of the niche.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'd like to see the women's college champ play the national men's high school champ.

I'd like to see the women's college champ play the national men's high school champ.

I'm not saying this to be sexist, but I truly believe the men's team would mop the floor with the women. My high school coach said that he once had a team of his play a nationally ranked women's college team in a scrimmage and it was an absolute slaughter. I'd imagine that the women would be coached well enough to put up a fight, but the disparity in athleticism would be a nightmare.

I'm not saying this to be sexist, but I truly believe the men's team would mop the floor with the women. My high school coach said that he once had a team of his play a nationally ranked women's college team in a scrimmage and it was an absolute slaughter. I'd imagine that the women would be coached well enough to put up a fight, but the disparity in athleticism would be a nightmare.

That's not sexist, that's reality. It'd be a thirty-point game, minimum.

I'd like to see the WNBA all-stars take on the NBA champs during All-Star weekend when the NBA players are all either drunk, high or both. It might level the playing field.

"Nationally ranked" doesn't mean a whole lot. I like women's basketball, and I'll be the first to admit that there aren't nearly enough great women players to go around. So, if by "nationally ranked," you mean Ohio State or Virginia or UTEP, you might be right, but I don't think that a boy's high school team could beat any women's team in the top ten, and I'd bet money they couldn't beat any team in the top 5.

But, that's neither here nor there, because whether or not they can beat the men is a ridiculously bullshit and unreasonable criteria. They're not supposed to beat the men; that's not the standard. This isn't, like, the old ABA, where you could make a legitimate argument for how good they were with respect to the NBA. The WNBA is not supposed to compete with the NBA, and they're not supposed to compete with men's college, just like women's college isn't supposed to compete with men's college or boy's high school; that's just not how it works.

You say that you're not trying to be a sexist, but what could a statement like that be, other than a way to diminish women athletes? Even if it is true, the only way that it proves anything is if you're operating under the belief that women athletes are not legitimate or worthy of recognition unless they can compete with the men. They're not supposed to compete with the men; they're supposed to compete with other women. Creating some sort of "battle of the sexes" environment is not the point of having women's athletics. That's the same as saying that Holly Holm shouldn't be recognized as a boxer unless she can go ten with Floyd Mayweather... although, AFAIK, you actually believe that, too.

I seem to remember reading somewhere a while ago that a middle-aged man (late 40s/early 50s) has the equivalent muscle power of a woman in her 20s of the same size. Assuming that that's anywhere close to being scientifically accurate, why exactly should there be any expectation for women to demonstrate that they are athletically equal in order to be considered legitimate? There is no sport (I do not consider golf or auto racing to be sports) where women can compete with men at the highest level... so, what are you saying? That women don't get to play sports? Or they're just not allowed to be on tv?

Edited by Mr. S£im Citrus

I appreciate your response Slim, but I really wasn't trying to make any statement regarding women's basketball vis a vis men's basketball. Someone asked a question and I did my best to answer it based on my own experiences as a high school/college basketball player.

Guest Beastalentier

I don't appreciate anything Slim says. He's a cranky indignant old jerkass who types in teal. Remember when he got righteously pissed because somebody called Sacramento a hole? He was like "Fuck you. Eat a dick. You. Fuck. Ing. Ass. Hole." Like, who cares? He doesn't even live there! It probably does suck! Who cares that the Kings play there? It's not like Vlade Divac was selling meth from a Corolla. Man.

I appreciate your response Slim, but I really wasn't trying to make any statement regarding women's basketball vis a vis men's basketball. Someone asked a question and I did my best to answer it based on my own experiences as a high school/college basketball player.

Like I said before, there aren't enough great women athletes to go around, it's not that they can't play. The trouble with Title IX (if you want to call it that) is that it more or less requires every Division I school to have a women's basketball team. Which, in turn, means that there are way more scholarships being offered to girls than there are girls who can play. And, let's face it, expansion hurts every sport: if there were only twenty women's programs in the country, nobody would be saying that the basketball was bad.