TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Pop/Punk

Bring the hate. I like a lot of pop/punk/emo stuff.

I DO NOT like All American Rejects, New Found Glory, or Simple Plan.

However. I just saw a great show with Hellogoodbye, Panic! at the Disco, and The Academy Is...a lot of that stuff is good. But emo hate is immediate on the board.

Most of these new "pop-punk" acts aren't pop-punk at all. They're pop, period. There's nothing punk about them. Buying some Hot Topix pants and wearing your hair all messy does not a punk make.

Husker-Du, The Descendents, All, late-era 7 Seconds, late-era Agent Orange, The Hard-ons ... those are pop punk bands.

I can handle some GreenDay, and a few miscellaneous tracks by a bunch of bands that I don't even remember the names of for the most part.

They're all just in a folder together labeled, "Emo - Song Title - 01", and so on.

I recognise a fewof the bands, because DirecTV recently added a shitload of genre specific channels to my deal.

I stop on it while I'm skimmin' through sometimes.

And I like AFI...

:ph34r:

Bring the hate. I like a lot of pop/punk/emo stuff.

I DO NOT like All American Rejects, New Found Glory, or Simple Plan.

However. I just saw a great show with Hellogoodbye, Panic! at the Disco, and The Academy Is...a lot of that stuff is good. But emo hate is immediate on the board.

HATE

Yeah, who would call Panic at the Disco anything resembling punk? They're a fucking new wave band, with a slightly faster tempo.

Anyone else listen to MXPX? Or are they purely a local thing? They've been around for quite a while, but I really have no idea how far they got.

Yeah, who would call Panic at the Disco anything resembling punk? They're a fucking new wave band, with a slightly faster tempo.

Anyone else listen to MXPX? Or are they purely a local thing? They've been around for quite a while, but I really have no idea how far they got.

I listen to them but seeing them live seems like a chore. By the time you find out they are playing a show, the show has already happened. They played WARPED and got the 9am spot and I missed them. I've always liked them and have been wanting to see them live for quite some time. They didn't get too huge but I know they are known.

Only remotely "emo" band I'll listen to is Comeback Kid, and that's more because they have an old-school hardcore energy to them missing from most "real" hardcore (ie. bullshit like Throwdown, Hatebreed, Bury Your Dead, etc.) these days. Can only take somebody doing a borderline scream/growl about how much they love their family and friends and how straight-edge they are to generic Drop-C chuggachugga bullshit riffs before you just want somebody to scream like a whinier young Henry Rollins.

I think you meant Billie Joe. The mental image of Billy Joel trying to do "Holiday in Cambodia" is nice, though.

I still like Green Day's early stuff OK. It was pretty fun and catchy. If their sullen political screeds had a bit of pep, I maybe would still like them, but they're sodden plods with ridiculous lyrics.

American Idiot just didn't seem like a Green Day album to my ears. I don't think it worked lyrically or musically. I thought they did a smart job of loosening up their sound just a touch on Warning while still playing to their strengths so it was a shame they misfired here. Lyrically, AI isn't half as bad as some people say (heavy handed or simplified 'anti-Bush'/'war sucks dude' stuff is at least kept to a minimum bar a couple of songs) but there's no great insight on their part either. By trying harder to be a serious band and make a statement they actually lost some of the personality they had in the first place. Maybe they just bit off a little more than they could chew. Not quite enough songs with the right energy or sufficient hooks didn't help either.

The Ramones, Descendents & Screeching Weasel all fit the bill for me as far as pop/punk goes. The Queers would be my guilty pleasure band, for being so unashamedly derivative.

Oh yeah, Exploding Hearts :headbang: