TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

ECW Coming Back Full Time in Sept

I don't want ECW taped during Raw or Smackdown tapings. They need the small venues mentioned to have the same feel. They need an ECW sized ring. I really don't see the big deal in taping somewhere like Hammerstein Ballroom every three weeks. I don't see how that is going to drain WWE's production team. They don't need high production values for ECW. If they are already going to be booking shows at Viking Hall, etc. - just stick a camera crew there and tape? ECW needs to have a different feel to work. They need their rabid audience. They don't need people in Rey Mysterio masks and John Cena t-shirts. They can tour intimate venues around the country even.

I'm hoping that pressing for ECW to be taped prior to SD is only because they don't have a tv slot. I still feel they should just tape Smackdown and Raw together, make money from the "Super Tapings", combine the rosters so Raw isn't victim to the same six guys week in and week out and have seperate ECW tapings. But I work for an insurance office, what do I know?

I thought that WWE was in contact with the old venues that ECW ran in?

So, ECW is going to have ONSII on PPV in a smaller venue (Hammerstein), but then run bigger arenas after that?

I think ECW should just run smaller arenas, and if they absolutely NEED to run before or after SD, it should only be temporary, and then after that, go back to the other venues.

Smackdown and Raw have to unite. If ECW evolves from a title dispute at One Night Stand, assuming it's the WWE Title and John Cena, the World Champion on Smackdown can start proclaiming that they are the Undisputed Champion of the world. This causes some heat between the two brands but Vince McMahon declares that he needs unity between the two brands to combat ECW. No more seperation of 'WWE Superstars'. They set up unification matches at Summerslam to unify the Raw and Smackdown titles heavyweight and tag titles. Keeping the I-C Champion and U.S. Champion. The cruisers by this time can mostly all be with ECW.

Cut Smackdown to one hour or ninety minutes. Tape it before Raw airs live. Then do a seperate ECW television taping.

I think the unification of Smackdown! and RAW is a great idea. The only problem with it is that it seems too logical, and we all know that McMahon doesn't do logical. Hopefully he will surprise us all.

If they want ECW to work, they need to make it seem like it's a completely different company. That's the only way that I can see it being a major success.

Guest the_beard
Smackdown and Raw have to unite. If ECW evolves from a title dispute at One Night Stand, assuming it's the WWE Title and John Cena, the World Champion on Smackdown can start proclaiming that they are the Undisputed Champion of the world. This causes some heat between the two brands but Vince McMahon declares that he needs unity between the two brands to combat ECW. No more seperation of 'WWE Superstars'. They set up unification matches at Summerslam to unify the Raw and Smackdown titles heavyweight and tag titles. Keeping the I-C Champion and U.S. Champion. The cruisers by this time can mostly all be with ECW.

Cut Smackdown to one hour or ninety minutes. Tape it before Raw airs live. Then do a seperate ECW television taping.

Or RVD could "take" the World title with him to ECW (and if you want he could spraypaint "ECW" on it in nWo fashion), and then we'll only have one WWE World Heavyweight strap.

Brand unification is an interesting idea, but only for the short term, meaning until the ECW angle is finished and the new ECW is up and running. I'm not sure that all that WWE has invested in making RAW and SD! separate is gonna be thrown out the window at this point.

I do agree that RVD needs to do something extreme (pardon the pun) and radical in order for ECW to make a huge splash and establish itself as an alternative, but I'm not so keen on him throwing down the WWE Title (I don't see Vince agreeing on that), neither the World belt, even if it is far less pretigious than the WWE Title. Maybe the IC belt, since RVD's the IC champ now, but even that I'd have to see to believe.

But if RVD does take somebody's World Title at ONSII what'll happen to him? Should he stay with WWE or should he move to ECW (could that be a demotion?) and help their relaunch? That would mean possibly he keeps somebody's Title and transforms it to the ECW title so a void could be made for either RAW or SD! having no top champion. In this case I'd like to see either the RAW or SD! champ to move from show to show like they did in 2002 when it was the "Undisputed" Title.

I can understand why they would be hesitant to end the brand seperation but it's time to be realistic. They aren't seperate brands. They are driven by much of the same creative teams. Steph and Vince see Raw as the premiere 'A' show and Smackdown is treated as second rate because of that. If that's going to be the attitude of the company they should just make Smackdown the true 'B' show to Raw. Have it be sort of what Heat was to Raw before Smackdown existed. By combining the WWE rosters, there would be plenty of names that don't make RAW on a given week, enough for some intriguing matches on Smackdown.

With ECW they have an opportunity right now to create and grow a true 2nd brand with it's own fan base, look, creative team and focus. In order for this to work however they really need their own television tapings. ECW can't very well come across as the "alternative product" when they are curtain jerking for the product they are shooting on and you see the same fans sitting in the front row that you see on Smackdown. Maybe the can cleverly book it and play off of the sports entertainment fans vs. the ECW fans at the arena (something the end of the Styles promo seemed to indicate) but I just don't see it working. It's going to create a mess behind the scenes and the end result will be us getting an ECW that does little to resemble the one people hold dear to their hearts.

People talk about another wrestling boom generating and in order for that to happen things have to be shaken up. The Smackdown/Raw duel brands concept has not been successful. RAW is never going to achieve 5.0+ ratings again with the same names every week. It's like paint by numbers week to week. It would be nice to have a Batista, Mysterio, JBL, MNM, Finlay, etc. thrown into the mix. They would have more guys, fresher programs for PPV buyrates, more spots to rest up people that are injured, etc. They can still have monthly PPV's and more than one house show group.

Yes, much too logical for Vince.

I just don't see how this ECW brand is going to succeed if, as Meltzer indicated in the Observer, that WWE will pull up guys who get over in ECW. That might create some continuity problems with booking, no?

On the latest PWInsider audio DS went over a list of guys who are now locked in, and others who are coming in for dates here and there, if not full time. He also mentioned that CM Punk will have a huge role in ECW once it starts up.

I just don't see how this ECW brand is going to succeed if, as Meltzer indicated in the Observer, that WWE will pull up guys who get over in ECW. That might create some continuity problems with booking, no?

No, all promotions face the possiblity of losing workers or having workers called up or signing with another promotion. Heyman is more the used to having his stars snatched from him.

On the latest PWInsider audio DS went over a list of guys who are now locked in, and others who are coming in for dates here and there, if not full time. He also mentioned that CM Punk will have a huge role in ECW once it starts up.

If they plan on using atypical WWE guys like Punk for ECW, than thats fine with me.

So who is locked in then Downhome?

Also, good news on CM Punk.

By all means, share those names with us, Downhome.

Sorry about that. Here is the list of guys mentioned:

Full Time

RVD

Sandman

Tommy Dreamer

Sabu

Al Snow

CW Anderson

Balls Mahoney

Axl Rotten

Jazz

Francine

FBI - Littel Guido & Tony Mamaluke (No big Vito as of right now)

Danny Doring

Roadkill

CM Punk (Paul Heyman is a big fan, and he'll get a huge push in ECW)

Joey Styles (Totally finished with RAW in every way, and will only deal with ECW from here on out as long as ECW is around)

Paul Heyman

Part Time

Tanaka

Tajiri

Mikey Whipwreck

Joel Gertner

Terry Funk

The point of all of this is not to live off of the past. One one hand it's to create new talent, and the second is for it to become a long term brand like RAW and SD. No word on who will be with Joey in the booth, but there is word going around on that, and will have a report on it later. Word going around is that they aren't going to do separate ECW tapings until they get an actual TV time slot, so for now I guess ECW will be taped at RAW or SD and be aired on the ECW website.

Much of this is in the Observer thread, but there ya go.

They could perhaps use Benoit and Rey (and Malenko?) for "dream matches" and bring them in a few times a year if, of course, it lasts that long. "Re-debuting" in ECW would be a great way for Jericho to return, too, if he ever does.

The point of all of this is not to live off of the past. One one hand it's to create new talent, and the second is for it to become a long term brand like RAW and SD.

That's exactly what I'm asking for. Having past stars is needed to jumpstart the promotion, but it absolutely needs to create new ones if they want to survive long-term.

I keep hearing word about them moving Super Crazy over to RAW and moving Psicosis over to ECW. Why in the hell can't we have Super Crazy go to ECW and then have a series of matches with Tajiri!?

The point of all of this is not to live off of the past. One one hand it's to create new talent, and the second is for it to become a long term brand like RAW and SD. No word on who will be with Joey in the booth, but there is word going around on that, and will have a report on it later. Word going around is that they aren't going to do separate ECW tapings until they get an actual TV time slot, so for now I guess ECW will be taped at RAW or SD and be aired on the ECW website.

Much of this is in the Observer thread, but there ya go.

That is exactly what I wanted. They are going to need to generate hype for ECW before they actually secure venues, so taping it prior to SD will do that. And once they have a timeslot, it will be authentic. This is perfect. I'm soooo hyped for this.

*SPOILER ALERT*

*SPOILER ALERT*

*SPOILER ALERT*

Heyman's golden boy won the OVW Title tonight and it's possible the OVW Title may play a part in the NEW ECW.

*SPOILER ALERT*

*SPOILER ALERT*

*SPOILER ALERT*

Heyman's golden boy won the OVW Title tonight and it's possible the OVW Title may play a part in the NEW ECW.

Umm..... :huh:

It's already been confirmed they are planning on making him a key part of the new ECW and he'll get a big push. Just a question of if they will use the OVW belt as a part of his character in ECW.

*SPOLER ALERT*

*SPOLER ALERT*

*SPOLER ALERT*

It will probably become the ECW title, since ECW is apparently replacing OVW.

I don't see how your speculation was a spoiler.

I was warning about the news that there was a title change. Even if it was the most obvious title change situation. Some people here can get OVW on TV. This won't be on DVD anyways.

It won't take long for WWE to start wanting to send some of their guys into ECW to "invade." The more successful it is, the quicker Vince McMahon will want to get himself involved in the show.