TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

ECW Coming Back Full Time in Sept

How come we never hear dub-dub-E, dub-dub-E chants, or in the days of WCW, dub-C-dub, dub-C-dub?

I was at the Raw in July 2001 in Atlanta when they did the WCW/ECW merger thing. There were tons of ECW chants in the Philips Arena lobby. Funny thing is, this group of little kids tried starting a WWE chant. It was really sad and put it all into perspective, I thought.

One of the weirder things I noticed re-watching ONS the other day was these little kids chanting "Tommy! Tommy! Tommy!" before Sandman's entrance. They looked like they would have been 2-5 when ECW closed. This has nothing to do with anything, but I felt like sharing the observation.

How come we never hear dub-dub-E, dub-dub-E chants, or in the days of WCW, dub-C-dub, dub-C-dub?

I was at the Raw in July 2001 in Atlanta when they did the WCW/ECW merger thing. There were tons of ECW chants in the Philips Arena lobby. Funny thing is, this group of little kids tried starting a WWE chant. It was really sad and put it all into perspective, I thought.

Give those kids credit for having the foresight of knowing the WWF would have to change their name soon. :D

Give those kids credit for having the foresight of knowing the WWF would have to change their name soon. :D

I had just woken up. Can't a nigga get a break?

One of the weirder things I noticed re-watching ONS the other day was these little kids chanting "Tommy! Tommy! Tommy!" before Sandman's entrance. They looked like they would have been 2-5 when ECW closed. This has nothing to do with anything, but I felt like sharing the observation.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I was thinking, "What the fuck? Why are these small children at an ECW show?"

The lastest public, non-WON info from Meltzer:

More on the ECW TV situation. As noted last night, ECW will take over the spot formerly held by Velocity. It will be taped prior to Smackdown every Tuesday. We don't have the date this goes into effect, but most likely some point in June. It will be a one hour show that will air on the ECW web site and maybe the WWE web site (although as noted, there are ongoing negotiations for a U.S. TV time slot and it is expected to wind up on USA). In international markets where Velocity airs, the ECW show will replace Velocity, which will cease to exist, as a broadcast property. Tons of work is being done every day on ECW. Despite suggestions that ECW needs its own taping, Vince McMahon will not budge off adding a new day of taping because of the drain in man hours for a company that already tapes twice per week, he's been very open to suggestions of adding wrestlers that he knows nothing about. The brand will be launched on 6/7 in Dayton with a WWE vs. ECW show that will feature wrestlers from all three brands, as the decision was made yesterday to add Smackdown wrestlers to the angle for the special and likely the PPV. This coming week's Observer has tons of news regarding the roster, bookings and other plans, and we've got another major story coming out next week on it as well.

=======

Sorry, but "ECW" being taped in a large-sized arena in front of a bunch of WWE marks is going to bomb badly.

Guest NateW

On another point, let's not forget why Vince is doing this: to cash in once again on the past. That's all he's been doing for the past year or so. "Remember all our great moments? Watch our show because of the nostalgia!" In that vein, to have anyone but old, broken down former ECW wrestlers is not going to draw in Vince's mind.

While that is a good point and I agree to a certain extent, I think Vince's intentions are a little more sinister: He's trying to kill off smaller groups like ROH, IWA-MS, and the new TNA house shows by creating his own little startup promotion and labeling it ECW. They have the power of WWE TV and the WWE website behind them. With ECW doing their house shows in smaller venues, it could start to take money out of small venue promotions like ROH.

Although territories are dead, I think Vince wants to now kill indy promotions and this is how he plans on doing it. [/oliver stone]

Maybe TNA, but I doubt he cares about indies like ROH. IWA-MS,etc. I have yet to see any real evidence of this. Plus, if Vince wants to destroy these indies with this new ECW brand I would think that rumors would start regarding all these workers from those groups being offered deals for ECW. I have yet to hear anything about WWE signing any of these indy workers from ROH, IWA-MS or wherever.

Yeah, Vince could buy out a bunch of ROH or IWA-MS guys and kill a promotion that way, but it would cost him money. Money paid to guys that he probrably has not intentions of using.

However, if he runs shows opposite those groups and takes fans money that would normally go to those shows, he doesn't have to A) take on a bunch of indy guys he really doesn't want to pay and B) makes money off his ECW show in the process.

I don't really believe Vince is sinister with this (hence the oliver stone reference) however I could see this ECW revival biting into some of these glorified indies business.

There's no way this will last very long. Either the entire thing will vanish into thin air within a year, or they are going to have to start doing separate tapings and ECW shows.

The only other option besides that is the idea suggested that ECW simply do a takeover of Smackdown. While SD still has some solid action the overall direction of the show is so uninspired that virtually anything would be an improvement. What is SD's main point right now? It's main concept? Main angle? SD right now is like watching an entire show of secondary angles and characters. So at least an ECW invasion and takeover angle would be a direction if nothing else.

The problem is, I doubt UPN would let them change "WWE Friday Night Smackdown" to "ECW Smackdown" or whatever. The WWE name is too valuable.

On the bright side, as TSM's official Velocity recapper, at least KC gets to recap ECW in the future. Bet he can't wait.

On the bright side, as TSM's official Velocity recapper, at least KC gets to recap ECW in the future. Bet he can't wait.

Wait someone still recaps Velocity?......I should be paying more attention to this stuff.

Guest jlvideo

I think maybe for the hardcore and loyal ecw fans. But if only the show was on and run by paul heyman,tommy dreamer,and guys of their choosing. But with vince owning everything and having the wwe alot involved it won't be that great. I think the marketing factor plays a big part with merchandising and with the ppv's. But who can he all recruit? I mean how many wrestlers can he sign? I know they mentioned sabu,the sandman,francine,balls mahoney. What about steve corino,blue meanie,danny doring,roadkill(he's in ovw),christian york,cyrus,gary wolf,perry saturn,ez money,lou e dangerously.

Pull the plug on this idea already. And you can bet Heyman and Dreamer only control the book for maybe a month or two before Vince rips it away from them. And does this mean Vince will add ANOTHER PPV to an already overfilled market? Nothing about this sounds appealing, it just sounds like Shotgun Saturday Night with an ECW banner.

Pull the plug on this idea already. And you can bet Heyman and Dreamer only control the book for maybe a month or two before Vince rips it away from them. And does this mean Vince will add ANOTHER PPV to an already overfilled market? Nothing about this sounds appealing, it just sounds like Shotgun Saturday Night with an ECW banner.

Eh. Give it a chance.

If it fails, it fails. Do you own stock in WWE? Will it tarnish the good name of ECW if it bombs?

If it succeeds, well, then we've got another hour of TV to watch a week. And I'll be damn happy about that.

From the WrestlingObserver Newsletter:

The obvious nature of the launch would be to create controversy stemming from the John Cena vs. Rob Van Dam title match at One Night Stand. It's almost so obvious that they may have to do something a little different, to do a finish where either an ECW ref declares Van Dam the winner and a WWE ref declares Cena the winner, or there's a disputed finish where Van Dam wins, but McMahon gives Cena the belt back, and Van Dam quits to form ECW.

I KNEW I was forgetting to do something these past few weeks. :P

Eh, when it becomes "ECW" I guess I'll have to find time to restart the recaps regularly what with everyone apparantly so interested in this for whatever reason.

Guest Human Highlight Reel

If it's taped before Smackdown in the same arena, it won't be ECW. It will, however, be an hour of Paul Heyman's booking, so I say bring it on.

I think part of the reason Vince may also be reluctant to going into smaller arenas for ECW shows would be that he can't really see a WWE owned brand running shows in a small 5,000-8,000 arena. Vince has always been of the idea that Bigger is Better, be it wrestlers, arenas, stage e.t.c and he does not really want some of his product going to a smaller, minimalist type thing.

The only way this taping ECW shows before SD! tapings would be if it was somehow tied into an angle and only for a short period of time. For example, Heyman somehow gets the ECW started back on T.V, but only on a B-Show, and then from there, the ECW guys get mad at being treated like 2nd class citizens, leads to a match at SurSeries in whihc they win and get their own T.V show in arenas more suited to the ECW style.

One of the guys on pwinsider.com suggested taping ECW after the Smackdown tapings (since SD isn't live), dimming the lights, announcing to fans to stay seated for an hour of Extreme wrestling and to move up if there are available seats. Warn the parents that this presentation will be violent, etc. He seemed to be under the impression that WWE fans would leave, allowing fans to move up and create a more intimate feel at the arena. I don't know if I necessarily agree with that but I do like the idea of taping ECW AFTER SMACKDOWN so it doesn't become an issue with WWE talent complaining because the ECW ring style (assuming they don't make these guys work WWE style) overshadows their own prior to Smackdown.

One of the guys on pwinsider.com suggested taping ECW after the Smackdown tapings (since SD isn't live), dimming the lights, announcing to fans to stay seated for an hour of Extreme wrestling and to move up if there are available seats. Warn the parents that this presentation will be violent, etc. He seemed to be under the impression that WWE fans would leave, allowing fans to move up and create a more intimate feel at the arena. I don't know if I necessarily agree with that but I do like the idea of taping ECW AFTER SMACKDOWN so it doesn't become an issue with WWE talent complaining because the ECW ring style (assuming they don't make these guys work WWE style) overshadows their own prior to Smackdown.

I don't think so. You put 1,000 fans in Hammerstein Ballroom, they'll have that place rocking. You put 1,000 fans in Madison Square Garden, they're hardly a blip on the radar. You need a small arena to be able to capture the "intimate" feel that was in the ECW Arena.

The small arena also helps hide the size of the workers. ECW was not known as the land of the giants like WWE is. In a smaller setting, the workers size isn't as exposed on camera.

Yeah, but if you move the crowd up and dim the lights a bit, it really shouldn't be a factor, regardless of the size of the wrestlers or supposed intimacy issues. Remember, this is the experience of the viewers at home we're talking about, not the experience of the people in the arena.

I think taping ECW after Smackdown is a great idea...they could also possible dismantle at least part of the entrance to make it seem more stripped down, change the ring apron, etc.

Yeah, but if you move the crowd up and dim the lights a bit, it really shouldn't be a factor, regardless of the size of the wrestlers or supposed intimacy issues. Remember, this is the experience of the viewers at home we're talking about, not the experience of the people in the arena.

I think taping ECW after Smackdown is a great idea...they could also possible dismantle at least part of the entrance to make it seem more stripped down, change the ring apron, etc.

It's impossible to get an ECW atmosphere in a large arena. The compact nature of Viking Hall, Hara Arena, Elk's Lodge, Mid-Hudson Civic Center and Hammerstein (among many) made the crowd even more intense. If You had the same 2500 inside Wachovia Center...it wouldn't be remotely the same.