TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hoff

"Clique B are rich."

Clique B IS rich!!!!! IS rich, IS rich, IS rich. The members of Clique B are rich, but the clique is one entity and is therefore SINGULAR.

I'm sorry, I HAD to say something. On the list of grammar erors, this is my most loathed. It's not as though I think any less of Chave, or anyone who makes such an error, for that matter. But, man, does it irk me.

Hoff are right.

Guest Felonies!

Okay, Hoff, sports team names. That's where it gets dicey. The New York Giants are doing well, but the New York Giants is a football team.

Also, Curt Schilling is a Red Sock, not a Red Sox, ESPN. If you say it out loud, you're saying Red Socks. "X" in lieu of "cks" is an old newspaper copywriter's thing that has grown archaic: see also "Hix Nix Stix Flix" for another famous example. Thus, the plural of Red Sox is Red Sock. I'm gonna die on this hill. But is this hill Duffy's Cliff?

Guest Princess Leena

I'm still adamant in my stance that the singular form of Red Sox, is Red Sox. The difficulty comes in determining if Red Sox, is truly supposed to be a type of Sock.

Look at the Colorado Rockies. Calling a singular player a Rocky, is stupid. Because their name signifies the entire Rocky Mountain chain.

A better example would be the Maple Leafs. They're not the Maple Leaves, because it is not a kind of leaf.

Guest Felonies!

They were the Boston Red Stockings. Stocking is another word for sock. Their socks are red. It became easier to call them the Red Socks. It was hip to type it as Red Sox. Red Sox has become the accepted name. Just truncate the plural S from it as you pronounce it, like you would Yankees to Yankee, Cubs to Cub. Red Sox to Red Sock.

As for the Rockies, I've seen it printed as "he was a Rockie." That's a weird one. Each member of the Utah Jazz is a Jazzman. Shaq calls himself a Heatian, but I don't know if that's club policy.

The easy way to get around it is to just say, "he's a pitcher for the Red Sox" instead of determining whether or not to say, "he's a red sock/sox"

*checks AP style book*

I've got to admit, I, too, am a little unsure on how it works for sports teams. I *believe* that because the team name is a plural noun, the plural form is appropriate. For example, if Clique B called themselves "the Clique Bs," then I'm fairly certain they "are rich."

Guest Princess Leena
They were the Boston Red Stockings. Stocking is another word for sock. Their socks are red. It became easier to call them the Red Socks. It was hip to type it as Red Sox. Red Sox has become the accepted name. Just truncate the plural S from it as you pronounce it, like you would Yankees to Yankee, Cubs to Cub. Red Sox to Red Sock.

As for the Rockies, I've seen it printed as "he was a Rockie." That's a weird one. Each member of the Utah Jazz is a Jazzman. Shaq calls himself a Heatian, but I don't know if that's club policy.

Yes, but another way to look at it is that each player wears 2 red socks... and their logo is of 2 red socks. Therefore, calling a player just one red sock, would be wrong. Unless, it's Curt Schilling, since one of his bloody red socks is hanging on a plaque somewhere, being worshipped.

In this case, I will side with whatever the team likes to call themselves. And in most cases when Boston refers to themselves in the singular form, it's Red Sox.

Jazzmen cannot be correct, either. Because I'm sure there are women involved in their organization. Therefore, it's sexist, and they'd all go to hell.

I wonder what players for Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas of MLS are called..

and are LA Galaxy players called Galaxians? Chicago Fire = Firemen? NY Red Bulls = Cheap Advertising Whores?

I think we all know the answer to this is..they aren't called anything cause its soccer and soccer in America is like water on Mars..there are rumors that it might be there somewhere but no one can seem to find it.

Jazzmen cannot be correct, either. Because I'm sure there are women involved in their organization.

The Jazzmen's bitches.

If you consider the team to be Utah (or wherever the fuck they are now) Jazz, then that would be the team and manager. The company would be Utah Jazz plc and serve the team.

PS, I'm sorry Hoff. It was an accident. I was having too much fun.

Guest Felonies!
Jazzmen cannot be correct, either. Because I'm sure there are women involved in their organization.

Yeah, but if you're a secretary for the Bulls, you're not a Bull. You just work for the club.

I just know when they were doing a ceremony for John Stockton, they referred to him as being a Jazzman.

With regard to soccer, the erstwhile Metrostars is now known as Red Bull New York in the vein of parent club Red Bull Salzburg, and the players are individually referred to as Red Bulls. I think in general with soccer, the team nickname is an afterthought compared to the formal name, like Manchester United and Chelsea FC. I'm sure they have some sort of nickname, like the Barons or the Tigers, but it's not that big.

PS, I'm sorry Hoff. It was an accident. I was having too much fun.

Oh, no, like I said, I'm not upset with you at all. That'd be fairly anal. This is just something that drives me up the @#$% wall, and I needed to vent.

With regard to soccer, the erstwhile Metrostars is now known as Red Bull New York in the vein of parent club Red Bull Salzburg, and the players are individually referred to as Red Bulls. I think in general with soccer, the team nickname is an afterthought compared to the formal name, like Manchester United and Chelsea FC. I'm sure they have some sort of nickname, like the Barons or the Tigers, but it's not that big.

And here I was thinking they changed the name to the Red Bulls because the company that owns Red Bull (yes, the "IT GIVES YOU WIIIIIIIINGS!" Red Bull) bought the team..I mean their logo is the freaking Red Bull logo off the can..

Oh, I see they bought that other team too. Maybe they should buy the Chicago Bulls while they're at it.