TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

Guest wildpegasus

Episode 87 of Bleach is now availabe for watching everyone. I haven't seen it yet but it is all downloaded and raring to go.

Guest wildpegasus

3?? Battle Angel Movies to be made? An update on a rumour from the past!

What do you think guys?

Myself, I'm excited because I'm a big fan of the anime and I hear the comic is even better.

06.29.2006 12:05 PM EDT

'Titanic' Mastermind James Cameron's King-Size Comeback: Two Sci-Fi Trilogies

Futuristic love story, thriller about 26th-century cyborg in the works.

ANAHEIM, California — Nearly 10 years ago, he appointed himself the King of the World. Now, after a decade of unrealistic expectations, false starts and geek-fueled rumors, James Cameron is finally ready to reclaim his crown.

summer vacation is over," a determined Cameron said this week, signaling an end to his nine-year absence from directing major motion pictures. "It's time to go back to work."

Making a rare public appearance to attend the Disneyland premiere of friend Gore Verbinski's blockbuster "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," the "Titanic" director looked back on the Leonardo DiCaprio classic that might just be the most high-pressure undertaking ever assumed by a director — until now.

"He's done two films back-to-back," Cameron said of Verbinski, in awe of the simultaneous production of the second and third "Pirates" films. "I have some plans in the future that may work the same way."

The 51-year-old mastermind behind classics like "Aliens" and the first two "Terminator" films added that while he doesn't think Verbinski's double-blockbuster-duty is the gutsiest move in filmmaking history (the box-office success of "Chest" seems all but guaranteed), he does view it as a strategy that should inspire other would-be trilogy filmmakers. "The ballsiest play in history was the 'Lord of the Rings' films, where they shot all three films at the same time," Cameron enthused. "They were betting on success, just blindly: 'Are people going to go see these?' They didn't know. They bet the farm and they won.

"But I think the more logical way to do it is like ['Pirates']," he continued. "When you have a hit film, you want to make two sequels to it. You make them back-to-back, shoot them at the same time, and then do all the special effects; release one, then release the other."

With that in mind, Cameron is finally pulling back the curtain on two would-be trilogies that might define sci-fi filmmaking for the next decade and beyond. "I have two franchises, if you will, or films that play out over an arc of a number of films that I am going to be making," he revealed. "[i won't make them] back-to-back, but one after another. They, in turn, might spawn back-to-back sequels. It all depends on how the first one does."

The first of these films is a long-rumored love story to be set against the backdrop of a planet-hopping future — and has been known by several names. " 'Project 880,' we'll probably release it as 'Avatar,' " he said, mentioning two such aliases. "We haven't locked in on the title yet, but this is what we are calling it. [There will be] possible sequels if it does well; if it tanks, no."

"We're going to do 'Avatar' first, and we're in active pre-production on it right now," he added. "I'm directing it; I'm directing all these films.

"And with 'Battle Angel,' also, we'll do the same thing," Cameron said of his second project, a sci-fi thriller about a female cyborg in the 26th century. " 'Battle Angel' is actually designed as a three-film cycle. So the logic there is to make one and, if it hits, boom-boom on the other two."

"If you want to know more about 'Battle Angel,' you can get the graphic novels," the director said of his source material. "There's a series of 10 graphic novels, the original 10, by a Japanese artist named [Yukito] Kishiro."

The tech-minded Cameron added that although he watched with great interest as "Sin City" filmmaker Robert Rodriguez reinvented the graphic-novel movie with his green-screen breakthroughs, "Angel" won't be such a slave to the colored page. "It'll be a cinematic style; it won't be a moving graphic novel," he revealed. "I think what Robert did with 'Sin City' was a spectacular visual experiment; I think it worked brilliantly, but that's not what I'm going for. It's more of a cinematic, photo-real feel."

Both the "Avatar" and "Battle Angel" series, he added, will begin with self-contained debut movies along the lines of the original "Star Wars" trilogy. "The films have to play as individual films, but they have a greater story arc that goes over the three-film cycle," he insisted, saying he isn't a big fan of "The Matrix Reloaded"-like cliffhangers between chapters. "I think that's how it works the best. I don't think you want to just run people off the cliff after the second film."

Adding that "we haven't cast anyone yet" for either movie, Cameron said both projects are proceeding full-steam-ahead, and that his self-imposed sabbatical has yielded technological breakthroughs that will pay off soon on the big screen. "We did seven deep-ocean expeditions in the last five years. We developed a lot of new technology that we'll use on the movies, and I think it will make the movies better." The filmmaker added that he can't wait to climb back into the director's chair — whether it be twice or six times.

"It's fun, I enjoy it, and I've missed it."

Probably only Special K can answer me on this, but has anyone seen Slayers Great? I haven't bothered trying to pick it up--because the movies are pretty much Lina and Naga affairs, and I hate Naga (ok, the laugh is gold, but overall Martina is about a hundred times more entertaining IMO).

Probably only Special K can answer me on this, but has anyone seen Slayers Great? I haven't bothered trying to pick it up--because the movies are pretty much Lina and Naga affairs, and I hate Naga (ok, the laugh is gold, but overall Martina is about a hundred times more entertaining IMO).

It's been too long since I've watched the Slayers series, but from what I remember Slayers Great has the usual Lina and Naga schtick and the plot as a whole is pretty good. It's been out for awhile, so I'm sure you can find a copy of it fairly cheap if you wanted to pick it up. If anything, it's worth a budget buy.

ep 88 of Bleach is out. The episode itself is kinda blah but it leaves you on such a clifhanger that i cant wait for next weeks.

Fuck.... which one is Slayers Great?

I've seen all things Slayers. Next and the first series are the best.

The movies all have parts that are gold, well except maybe the first one.

The very first episode of the Slayers OVA is fucking GOLD, though. The best thing Slayers. The ear-stabbings still crack me up (you'll know when you see it)

Fuck.... which one is Slayers Great?

I've seen all things Slayers. Next and the first series are the best.

The movies all have parts that are gold, well except maybe the first one.

The very first episode of the Slayers OVA is fucking GOLD, though. The best thing Slayers. The ear-stabbings still crack me up (you'll know when you see it)

Slayers Great is one of the movies.

Out of them I've seen:

Slayers The Motion Picture (where Lina's looking for that spring of growth--Naga's tolerable here).

Slayers Return (lame villain, no real threat except a brainless monster, and too much Naga).

Synopsis of SG:

All Laia Einburg wants for her golem-making father Galia and her equally ambitious brother Huey is to end a long running feud. But her world gets turned upside down when short-stature Lina Inverse and overly endowed Naga the Serpent save Laia from a rampaging golem.

A grateful, but smitten, Galia asks Lina to be a model for his work. Not to be outdone, Huey makes a similar request to Naga. The results are towering remote-controlled golems in the image of our favorite sorceresses! Huey gets all the proportions right, but Galia's taste is just weird. Adding insult to injury, Galia turns Lina into a magical battery pack!

Officially, Lords Haizen and Granion commissioned these golems for a contest to determine the ruler of the city of Stoner. But the lords are secretly planning to use the golems as prototypes for an army of conquest! Can Lina and Naga save the city from tyranny?

And yeah, Try's not nearly as good as Slayers and Slayers NEXT, but I still like it, and it was my first taste of Slayers.

Guest wildpegasus
ep 88 of Bleach is out. The episode itself is kinda blah but it leaves you on such a clifhanger that i cant wait for next weeks.

Saw it last night. I really liked it a lot especially that card playing dude. I also liked the shot of everyone at the door of the bount hideout. Just a real good sense of comraderie and adventure.

Do you watch the extra stuff after the show is over Raging Fear? They usually have somewhat of a preview for the next episode along with some kind of non serious skit. Or do you not like to risk ruining yourself?

Trinity Blood has been acquired by Adult Swim and is set to premiere alongside Bleach this September.

I haven't seen it as of yet, but it's been on my list of shows to get to, along with the similar yet unrelated Blood+. But it's got vampires and stuff. Speaking of, I wonder now if G4 may have won out on the supposed Blood+ bidding war.

Trinity Blood sucks ass. It's pretty much Trigun mixed with Hellsing(with a bunch of pointless religious crap sprinkled in) pretty much without what made those two shows good. Abel Nightroad is such a Vash-wannabe that it gets old after 3 episodes and main female character is practically useless. It's like the creators were pissed someone thought of Trigun and Hellsing first and decided to mold concepts from from both of them into their own piece of crap.

I heard the manga is a lot better, but I don't know when it'll be released here.

Trinity Blood sucks ass. It's pretty much Trigun mixed with Hellsing(with a bunch of pointless religious crap sprinkled in) pretty much without what made those two shows good. Abel Nightroad is such a Vash-wannabe that it gets old after 3 episodes and main female character is practically useless. It's like the creators were pissed someone thought of Trigun and Hellsing first and decided to mold concepts from from both of them into their own piece of crap.

I heard the manga is a lot better, but I don't know when it'll be released here.

Sooo...what is the plot? Two immortal vampire brothers occasionally duel on a planet with an old-west style setting--one of them a bad guy, one of them a comedic hero who acts as the big gun for a paranormal investigation/extermination unit, and some chick along the way becomes bitten and turns into a vampire who ends up working for the good guys...with crappy animation and silly dialogue?

*hits up wikipedia*

Okay, not quite--it sounds way better than my theory, but definitely can see where you're coming from. And yes, gotta love those stupid religious references.

Heh, sorry about that. I forgot all about outlining the plot while on my mini-rant, so I'll go ahead and do so now for everyone else.

Here's the basic lowdown on TB: Earth has just gone through a huge multi-year war with humans on one side and vamps on the other. During the final apocalyptic days of it, pretty much all hell breaks loose and the the two sides come to a stand-still and settle into seperating Eurasia into two parts or something like that(been a while since I watched all 24 eps and don't wanna do it again).

Now, Italy, or more precisely, the Catholic Church itself, is the main force behind keeping the vampires from running a muck and making dried out husks of all the humans(oh yeah, the pope's a kid and his two older siblings, brother and sister, pretty much run everything while he's the figurehead). The Church has obviously taken a pro-killing slant on things since they have a special branch of trained people whose only job is to go out and kill vampires whenever they've crossed the border and/or come out of hiding to slaughter some people for food or fun. I'll give the TB creators credit on a few of the weapons in the series, the Inquistion Squads' weapons are admittedly cool.

I'll edit some of the characters in later as it's really late and I have to get up early.

Though I won't bother downloading it, the Pope being a kid sealed it for me, so I'll give it a shot. I enjoy the cheesy, terrible stuff. Besides, it's got violence.

Guest wildpegasus

So what are people's opinions on Full Metal Alchemist? It looked pretty cool from a video I saw on youtube. I think I might take on a new series while I'm waiting for Bleach every week.

And what are the best sites for animation torrents? Where's everybody downloading their stuff from?

Fullmetal Alchemist is very good. It takes a while to delve into the story, but after the first 10-15 episodes it starts rocking.

BoxTorrents.com for unlicensed series and soundtracks. Though I usually stick to the typical mass torrent sites like isohunt, TorrentReactor, etc.

Bleach 89 is subbed on youtube, deff an interestinf ep, and the previous for the next one have me excited.

Guest wildpegasus
Bleach 89 is subbed on youtube, deff an interestinf ep, and the previous for the next one have me excited.

I've got'er downloaded. It's just matter of time before I check'er on out.

I had to do a double take when I saw this DVD cover:

http://images.greencine.com/images/movies/...t03838gnpci.jpg

Why is a very generic looking cover for a James Dean documentary or biography movie double take worthy and worthy of posting in the anime thread?

Guest wildpegasus

Another superb ep. Cool points for the cool points mention in the preview for next week's episode. My friends and I have a game where we simply do crazy things to give ourself crazy points. The crazier it is the more crazy points you get. We've also talked about cool points before as well so hearing that on the show was pretty neat.

I had to do a double take when I saw this DVD cover:

http://images.greencine.com/images/movies/...t03838gnpci.jpg

Why is a very generic looking cover for a James Dean documentary or biography movie double take worthy and worthy of posting in the anime thread?

The best answer I have is mistaking that cover for a live-action Trigun.

EDIT:

FUNimation announced today at the San Diego Comic Con that Japanese children's series Crayon Shin-chan will recieve a "test run" broadcast on Adult Swim beginning next month.

Let me be the first to say that I'm a bit shocked to hear that Crayon Shin-chan is actually making it onto American TV. It'll be interesting how the Adult Swim masses react to the test run.

For people who love anime, I recommend them watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (aka Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu). This is an awesome show and you'll really enjoy it. I'd say more, but I could never do it justice.

Oh and I'd just like to note that the episodes are not in order, but are done that way because its sorta like that in the novels.

^_^ So go watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya! And then become a member of the S.O.S. Brigade like me. ^_^

Haruhi is addictive, but there seem to be enough dissenting voices to put it into love/hate territory.

Escaflowne's Fox rights have lapsed. If the dub wasn't so bad it would make a good addition to Adult Swim. Eh.

Part of Bleach's English cast was announced. Johnny Yong Bosch as Ichigo. I'm not sure about that one.

Yeah, it's a either you love it or hate it. However, its one of those that I think a lot of people will love more than hate.

As long as you survive Episode 1 (which in reality is like 11, I think). That's the backbreaker, but also the one that weeds out the people who won't be fans.

Guest wildpegasus
Yeah, it's a either you love it or hate it. However, its one of those that I think a lot of people will love more than hate.

As long as you survive Episode 1 (which in reality is like 11, I think). That's the backbreaker, but also the one that weeds out the people who won't be fans.

I'm downloading episode 1 right now to check it out. Should I actually be checking out a differet episode first?

You could start with episode 2, which is the proper beginning of the story, but I think it loses some of its luster by watching in chronological order. I feel it was meant to be watched in the order it aired, at least during the first time through, then viewed in storyline order on subsequent viewings.

You shouldn't be put off. Episode 1 is great fun. The character interaction is some of the best and there's a bunch of stuff to pick through once you've made your way through the series, but I've said too much.

Yeah, episode 1 is great fun once you realize what it is, and then its great.

...and yes both atomsk and I are saying too much. You really can't tell anyone much about Haruhi, because you end up wanting to tell them everything about the show. Its one of those types of shows.

Episode 90 of bleach is out and holy mother that was an awesome episode, I saw the shocker at the end a mile away thou. Next weeks previews *salivates*

If you've ever hear of the Korean manga (or manhwa) "Priest", then here's some news for you.

It looks like a live action adaptation is set to come out August 17th of next year. It will be directed by Andrew ("Amityville Horror" remake) Douglas, and will be produced by Mike DeLuca and Sam Rami. Also, Gerard Butler and Steven Strait are set to star.

Oh, and Tokyo Pop is the U.S. distributor of the mango. I wonder if they will have anything to do with the movie.

Find more about the manga here and here.

Curious, but what's everyone's favorite distributor? I prefer Del-Ray (Negima, Tsubasa, xxxHOLiC) over the others.

And someone explain why I should watch or read Bleach. I know nothing about it. ...yes, the guy who's into wacky stuff like Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Ouran Host Club, Inukami, etc. knows nothing about Bleach.

Educate me.