TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

The 2006 NFL Draft Thread

49ers wasting a 4th round pick on Michael Robinson is really stupid. They already drafted a "slash" in Rasheed Marshall last year. There were doubts Robinson would even be drafted.

Lots of criticism in New England for the Pats taking so much offense and a Kicker so far but I really dont see the problem honestly. Ball control offense can make defense much easier to play and make a defense look so much better in the long run.

But defense wins championships! DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! You can't outscore the Colts!

/Texans FO still justifying the 1st round travesty

Exactly what was the travesty? Not drafting the guy they didn't need? The travesty was the brain dead Saints picking and sticking with Reggie Bush when they already have a young all pro running back who gives defenses a headache.

Two star running backs doesn't work. Eventually both of them will want to be "the guy" and they will bitch and complain til you have to deal one for a second-third round pick. Saints needed about a dozen other positions, instead they draft Reggie because THEY NEED STARS!! STARS!!!

I'm still pissed about that stupid ass Redskins trade as it actually was for next years second round pick as well.

Yeah, that really boggled my mind. I thought they were trading up for someone huge and not some linebacker who would have been there when the pick came up.

The Redskins and Bills are leaving me confused. Very, very confused.

Supposedly the reason the Saints stuck with Bush at #2 was that no one gave them an offer worth considering.

I'd have traded him to the Jets for the 4, 29, and a 3rd, ESPECIALLY if it meant I could get Brick, Mangold, and an LB.

I'm guessing a deal the Saints would categorize as "worth considering" was a first this year, a first next year, a third, a fourth, the GM's daughter's firstborn child and some magic beans.

I'm guessing a deal the Saints would categorize as "worth considering" was a first this year, a first next year, a third, a fourth, the GM's daughter's firstborn child and some magic beans.

You're also forgetting the opposing owner's immortal soul, which immediately put Washington out of the chase. Snyder's soul was sold a long time ago.

Guest Princess Leena

With Deuce already making $6+m for 7 more years... Brees getting $10 mil... and I'm guessing Bush getting in the $8-9 mil range... and whatever Bennett got, which I'm sure was at least $1 mil... I wonder how the salary cap will be treating them.

To be fair, NE picked one hell of a kicker to replace Vin.

He's also got a Polish name, so that makes my dad happy.

I'm a bit surprised that NE, with one pick left, hasn't gone after ANY LBs so far considering they could use some youth in there. I guess all their targets went elsewhere.

I'm really impressed with the Fasano pick, because that one pick transforms our offense by giving us yet another receiving threat, a good blocker on the line, and the ability to improve the run. Stroke of genius.

With Deuce already making $6+m for 7 more years... Brees getting $10 mil... and I'm guessing Bush getting in the $8-9 mil range... and whatever Bennett got, which I'm sure was at least $1 mil... I wonder how the salary cap will be treating them.

They will need to deal Deuce or Reggie next year cause no way Deuce takes a pay cut to share carries with Reggie. I really have no CLUE how they have any money left to field a team with this pick.

I'm disappointed with it because I thought that was who the Bengals were going to take 2 picks later. He'll do great in the 2 TE sets with Witten.

After this draft all I have to say is how long until training camp starts.

Love Bunkley, Justice, Jean-Gilles and BLOOM~!. Bloom could end up as the biggest contributor this year as he is really the only one that has to get into action.

Avant is solid and really like him as the possession complement to Reggie Brown. Really interested to see if Gocong can adapt to an NFL SAM. If he can he will be a monster at 265 next to Trotter at 260 and change. Even if he can't though, I don't see why he can't be a situational pass rusher like Trent Cole.

They will need to deal Deuce or Reggie next year cause no way Deuce takes a pay cut to share carries with Reggie. I really have no CLUE how they have any money left to field a team with this pick.

Well they pick Reggie.

ONE corner back. Not enough defensive positons filled, and then they draft wide receivers that we don't need, TWICE!!!!

My only theory is they are totally blowing their wad on paying Reggie that they are signing crap to make up money.

Well they pick Reggie.

ONE corner back. Not enough defensive positons filled, and then they draft wide receivers that we don't need, TWICE!!!!

My only theory is they are totally blowing their wad on paying Reggie that they are signing crap to make up money.

While they technically need WRs because they don't have any proven guys below Horn and Stallworth (Devery Henderson et all haven't panned out yet), they are REALLY ignoring some obvious problem areas on the roster.

The biggest hole is at linebacker, but I think that may be because the new coach wants to sign a lot of his buddies from Dallas and that drafting a good LB in the 2nd or 4th may have made them cut Scott Fujita.

They also need to bring in some better DTs because Jonathan Sullivan is a waste of space and money that will be lucky to be a BACKUP somewhere once his contract expires in a year or two.

Guest Princess Leena

I wonder if any team would even pick up Vick as a free agent. Just hearing the kid talk lately, he still takes no blame for doing the things he's done, and will only be a cancer for any team. And thinks he would be a 1st round pick without this garbage... which is extremely laughable.

I imagine his brother will find some way to get him on the Falcons. I'm suprised Oakland didn't take a flyer on him with the last pick, he's got Raider written all over him.

Anyway, the Eagles had a terrific draft. The Bunkley, Justice, and Jean-Gilles picks were all great selections, and getting Jeremy Bloom for the return game was good too.

I wonder if any team would even pick up Vick as a free agent. Just hearing the kid talk lately, he still takes no blame for doing the things he's done, and will only be a cancer for any team. And thinks he would be a 1st round pick without this garbage... which is extremely laughable.

Someone may bring him into camp as a project, but I don't see him getting signed barring an impressive performance that would justify putting on the roster and sending him to NFL Europe for experience.

I think he's football's version of Randy Orton, who keeps doing stupid shit and pissing away potential well after people are ready to give up on him.

Lots of criticism in New England for the Pats taking so much offense and a Kicker so far but I really dont see the problem honestly. Ball control offense can make defense much easier to play and make a defense look so much better in the long run.

But defense wins championships! DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! You can't outscore the Colts!

/Texans FO still justifying the 1st round travesty

Exactly what was the travesty? Not drafting the guy they didn't need? The travesty was the brain dead Saints picking and sticking with Reggie Bush when they already have a young all pro running back who gives defenses a headache.

Two star running backs doesn't work. Eventually both of them will want to be "the guy" and they will bitch and complain til you have to deal one for a second-third round pick. Saints needed about a dozen other positions, instead they draft Reggie because THEY NEED STARS!! STARS!!!

The travesty was a team that averaged barely 16 points a game and was the 30th ranked offense in the NFL doesn't take the best playmaker in the draft in order to take a player who MIGHT get a sack a game if he's really REALLY good. People down here who have been defending the pick keep saying that "offense wins games, defense wins championships" but you need to win games before you get the chance for championships.

And Bush can be more than just an RB. Slot, wideout, split back. He's talented enough that you can put him just about anywhere. Williams is someone who had 3 really strong games against weak competition and a great combine and turned it into a top pick.

I'm shocked JD Runnels got drafted. I figured he'd be picked up in free agency.

Man they even continued the Reggie Bush love/shock over not being taken 1 fest on Baseball tonight!!!

The Browns got a steal with Travis Wilson at WR.

Guest Princess Leena

It is a shame with Marcus Vick... as at times, I think he looked even better than Michael. In the rare times he actually showed proper technique, and such, he was quite accurate. But, he's too much of a lost cause at this point.

DE's are much, much important than just getting sacks. Getting any kind of consistent pressure on the QB is enormous for your defense. I agree that Mario isn't that guy... mostly because he hasn't proven it enough on the field. But, if say, a true Peppers equivalent was available over Bush... I'd take that DE in a heartbeat.

Plus, this is the same Texan team that took David Carr over Peppers in '02... maybe they learned a lesson.

It is a shame with Marcus Vick... as at times, I think he looked even better than Michael. In the rare times he actually showed proper technique, and such, he was quite accurate. But, he's too much of a lost cause at this point.

DE's are much, much important than just getting sacks. Getting any kind of consistent pressure on the QB is enormous for your defense. I agree that Mario isn't that guy... mostly because he hasn't proven it enough on the field. But, if say, a true Peppers equivalent was available over Bush... I'd take that DE in a heartbeat.

Plus, this is the same Texan team that took David Carr over Peppers in '02... maybe they learned a lesson.

Peppers was a MAJOR project pick back in 2002, so passing on him at #1 was realistic.

I thought the Panthers were crazy for taking him at #2, too, although it paid off well and helped get them in the Super Bowl within 3 years.