TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Urban Warfare

NCAA Football 07

With punt returns, just take the guy to the outside. Xavier Carter is probably the best guy to do it with.

Played a few games yesterday and tried to start a dynasty with WKU but it was so terrible I had to switch to UK. The two corners I had @ WKU were rated 40 and 52 or something and were getting beat all day with the deep ball.

I'm not a big fan of the kick return camera either b/c I can't see the entire field. Who's great idea was this one?

Guest Princess Leena

If you're playing with a 1AA team, you gotta start out with a creampuff schedule to have any chance.

I noticed on put returns that if I change myself to the kick returner, and stop him from running for a second then switch control to someone else, he will go get the ball and have a running start on the return instead of starting from a dead start. I have gotten great returns like htat. But at a crucial part of the game, I am fair catching or moving out the way every time.

With punt returns, just take the guy to the outside. Xavier Carter is probably the best guy to do it with.

That's who I did it with, mainly because the guy has a natural 99 in speed, blockers who are OK, and some piss-poor teams like Kentucky on the schedule who can't tackle.

Too bad LSU won't have him this year, as he's having to give up college football and get sponsorships in order to compete on the national level at track. (Motherfucker has like the #2 time in the 200m Dash in the world)

I did it against Auburn when I was getting blown out.

I had 3 but I'm not sure of which games all of them came in.

1 was definitely against Kentucky.

1 was probably against Mississippi State.

The last one is iffy... I think it may have been against Ole Miss or Alabama. (It was late in the season, after the finalists had been named for the KR award.)

I would have had another, but there was a penalty flag on the play. (Clipping, IIRC)

Well my UK dynasty isn't going to well (although its a bad team so its not necessarily surprising). I got blown out 62-7 against Louisville, stomped Texas State 66-7, and then lost to Ole Miss 38-7 (they added a last minute touchdown just to rub it in). I've got my next test against #3 Florida in the Swamp and that looks to be a disaster waiting to happen.

I've got it on All-American and I'm getting murdered on the passing game. I've done everything I can with bump and runs, giving some space off the line, using man coverage, double teams, and zones and tons of formations but on 3rd down I keep giving up long bombs. I suck at controlling the corners and FS and when I try to control them I just get beat deep some more. I tend to either play LB or on the line. Any suggestions to improve the pass defense? I know it might just be that my corners are bad since one is rated 80 and another a mere 72 but any help would be appreciated!

Guest Princess Leena

If you struggle controlling the corners, let the CPU do it then. On AA, you shouldn't be getting scored on so easily.

What kind of coverages are you calling? If you play a lot of nickel and dime, and switch up the coverages between zone, man, and the LB blitzes (never bring the corners or safeties), you should be in pretty decent shape on AA. If the other team has the momentum meter filled up all the way though, they'll definitely get some passes on you.

Anyway, I've been having a lot more fun now that I'm playing some competitive, winnable games on Heisman. Since losing to Virginia Tech, I've won three in a row, most recently beating North Carolina 42-37 and BC 35-31. I'm 4-2 (2-1) so if I beat Duke, I'll be playing Miami in two weeks with first place in the division on the line. Duke's a B+ in year two though and I have to go on the road, so I'm certainly not taking the win for granted.

Well usually I'm running the Cover 2, Cover 3, or Cover 4 coverages out of the 3-4 package mixed in with an occassional Nickel package. I think what does hurt me as you said is that momentum meter b/c in the game against Louisville they were killing me on the air and on the ground and marched 80 yards down the field to score on the games opening drive thereby filling the momentum meter and pretty much sealing my fate.

I don't get as irritated as some people about losing because it is just a video game and all and its not like UK is as good in the first season as a USC or Miami or Oklahoma or Texas so its all in good fun. Figure I'll have to take my lumps in season one and probably season two to desperately try to beat Louisville, Florida, and get to a bowl game to save my ass in season 3. However, I think the contract goal of beating Florida for your first deal is ridiculous considering that UK hasn't beaten them in nearly 20 years. Tennessee would've been a better goal.

Yeah, when they add the goals of beating rivals, they don't pay any attention at all to how good they are. The thing about them though is that you only have to get one or two of the goals, though I think what they're really saying is that if you beat Florida, the season will be considered somewhat of a success no matter how badly you fuck up the rest of the schedule.

And yeah, you really do have to run a lot of nickel and dime in this kind of game. Defending the run is always a lot easier than defending the pass, so you need to make some adjustents. In general, unless I really think they're running the ball for some reason, I always call dime when they have 4 receivers, and I always call either nickel or dime when they have 3. If it's third and long or something, I'll usually call dime even against a two receiver set.

Back on my dynasty, I just blew the Duke game, going for it and 4th and 1 three times in the first quarter and missing every time, leading to an early Duke momentum advantage, and a big first half lead that I never recovered from, ultimately losing 41-27. The good news is that Miami lost to Florida State, so if I could somehow beat them this week (not exactly an easy task, esp. on the road), I'd still be in line to win the coastal division.

Guest Princess Leena

80% of the time, I'll play nickel or dime with some zone defense... with my favorites being Cover 2 and Tampa 2, as the CPU usually throws near the sidelines.

I don't run man much at all... always seem to give up too many catches with it. Although, that might be because I do have some weak links on my defense.

Blitzes, I'll use sparingly. Usually more against running situations. Rarely on passing though, because it seems like the CPU is programmed that if the QB doesn't get sacked, and even throws into triple coverage, it will be a catch. Plus, I can get enough pressure with a standard dime zone, anyway.

Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can get it to work just as well for me. I'm so used to my 2004 NCAA game that I am having trouble transitioning into this one and using all of the different controls for players and such.

I gave Florida a decent run for their money but lost 30-20. I scored the first touchdown by marching all the way down the field and then stopped FL on their first possession but everything went to hell in the first half after that. I had a receiver run the wrong route because of the noise and my O-Line got obliterated so that pass got picked off and FL used the field position for a score. Next possession I was able to use my run game to get to the 50 and then had another pass picked off and FL used that field position to score. Got the ball back on my own 21 after a kickoff and on the first damn play my RB fumbles and FL uses that to kick a field goal. At this point Nessler and the gang are just feeling sorry for me and it gets worse when one of my players acts like a dumbass and gets a 15 yard facemask penalty when FL gets the ball back with 2 seconds left in the first half so FL kicks that one in from the 32. Second half went better as I completed some big passes and got some long runs but it was too little too late and I lost.

I could have beaten Central Michigan but I had a really bad second half and had a lot of trouble in the red zone with turnovers (almost a repeat of the FL game). So I lost that one 30-22 and am now 1-4 on the season. Not too good in UK country.

As far as passing defense goes its REALLY annoying when the CPU throws a bomb over my DBs and such when I've got a good zone coverage and the defender just WATCHES as the CPU catches the ball an inch or two away. Like they don't try to hit them or dive at the ball or swat it away or anything. Just really irritating sometimes.

Don't be so hard on the coverage; every time my bad corners go to deflect bomb passes, they miss entirely and take themselves out of the play, so instead of a 60-yard pass it's an 80-yard TD because they can't recover to make a tackle.

I too have learned not to call hot routes when the crowd's cheering loudly; even if the QB can see the WR wide open in front of him, he'll throw the hot-routed route (usually right to a defender).

Well, I guess I'm starting to channel the real Georgia Tech as I followed up my loss to Duke with.... a road win over #11 Miami! I played a good game and built an early lead, and actually managed to hold on with defense in the fourth quarter winning 20-14. It was my first win over a ranked team on Heisman (and an A+ team at that), so I was pretty excited.

My chances of winning the conference are still a little shaky, as Virginia Tech has a half-game lead and the tiebreaker, but I got a contract goal just for beating Miami, and with VT's remaining schedule, (2 B+ teams, a B and an A+ in Miami), I certainly wouldn't write off my Orange Bowl chances.

Guest Princess Leena

Ewww, just had a ridiculous 77-65 loss to Wake Forest of all teams. It was like the olden days of Madden '04 when every online kid would run with Mike Vick every play... then throw deep if you brought anyone up. Grrr, grrr, grrr.

I am wondering if I just have a great line, because noone has been able to do that to me. I will see when my entire Defensive line and linebacking corps graduate this year. Yep....all 7 of them. I have already gotten the number one middle linebacker, Left End, and LOLB in the country, so I am going to have to go after some takles and another linebacker during the offseason so hopefully I will never find out about the running QB's.

And Leena...you change that picture on your myspace yet...cause seriously....

Guest Princess Leena

Most of the time the running QB can be controlled... but Wake must have recruited some QB with 91 speed. Twas not fun with them having full momentum all game long. But, losing makes stuff realistic, I guess.

How long are your quarters set? I play 6 minute quarters, and I've never approached a game that high scoring. If it keeps up though, you might want to think about bringing down the offensive AI settings for both human and CPU players. Because "I lost 77-65" and "makes stuff realistic" don't really fit together.

Oh, BTW just checked out your MySpace after the comment, and I want to say thank you for reminding me about Garbage. I used to love their stuff, and I haven't listened to it in forever.

Guest Princess Leena

Good point on the score. :P

I play 7 minute quarters. Usually my games are in the 20-30 range. But, when I'm desperate to win, I start airing it out, and points come in bunches.

After having a total of 7 pick in one of my 4 team dynasty games, I must say that the Spy Gold Cover (I think that's the name) of 3-4 Solid is the CHEAPEST play ever.

You get good enough pressure to stop the run, and unless you do short passing plays, you ain't getting moving that ball and just laying up the pick.

Reason I say this, is I just played that defense play for one game. Only call I made. And it resulted in the following: 7 sacks, 24 hurries, 7 INTs. That's not right.

Also, momentum meter makes some pretty insane bonuses from it (up to 12 additional points). This wouldn't be a bad thing, except it makes even the mediocrest of players, stars. That's not exactly right.

Guest Princess Leena

Is there any way to lessen the impact of the momentum meter? Because it's pretty ridiculous. If I score first, it's gonna be a blowout. If the CPU scores first, there's a good chance they're gonna get BS drives afterwards.

No sadly, momentum meter is there and there's no way to turn it off. Honestly I wish it could be because right now that I figured out how to use the West Coast offense and the 3-4 defense, I'm able to trample teams with the added bonuses of momentum. Well, not trample teams, but I shouldn't be beating Ohio State by 50something to 28ish.

Its still a good game, but momentum is starting to become painfully obvious in how broken it is.

There are other ways to make the game harder you know. Even if you're playing on Heisman, you can always go to the AI settings, and make things harder that way.

Guest Princess Leena

True. But, I'm one of those who hates messing with sliders. Just seems like you're cheating the game... even though I know it can make the games much better.

There are other ways to make the game harder you know. Even if you're playing on Heisman, you can always go to the AI settings, and make things harder that way.

You see the problem with sliders is I remember a time when sports games didn't need sliders. When you could go to such and such level and it was just that. And my problem isn't the fact that it isn't hard, on the contrary I've had some good games. Its just the opposing team gets hit negatively for losing momentum. You should only award bonuses, not give negatories. Don't believe me, check the depth chart of your opponents.

I seriously don't like it if my team gets "double" the points for momentum.

True. But, I'm one of those who hates messing with sliders. Just seems like you're cheating the game... even though I know it can make the games much better.

I'm like Leena. I shouldn't hafta mess with the sliders to make the game "harder". I should be able to go "Heisman" and its fucking "Heisman".

Yea, the momentum meter is a definite bitch in the game. Sucks that you can't turn it off either and that you can't turn off the "third person camera" for kick returns. I don't mind the new kicking adjustment with the analog stick, though. Makes it more fun, especially when your playing in a hostile road game and the controller just shakes out of your hands like crazy.

My UK team got to 2-6 with a win against Mississippi State 38-7 but then lost a heartbreaker to #9 LSU when I couldn't get any offense going in the second half and lost 17-10.

Had a big game at home against Georgia because another loss doomed any chance of bowl bid on the off chance I'd get invited at 6-6. I led 6-3 at the half which was an accomplishment in itself since I suspended my star QB for three games for writing forged doctors excuses to his professors, suspended by star ROLB for skipping practice, and suspended my star WR for undisclosed NCAA violations. I was able to stand firm at the beginning of the third quarter but suddenly Georgia's star RB who had been dormant all game decided to get going and scored on a 60 yard touchdown run. Then, when they get the ball back a minute and a half later after I got a field goal the RB takes it to the house again on a toss play when somehow all my guys get tied up with the GA defenders. With less than three minutes to go in the fourth quarter I trail 17-9 and its 3rd & 2. Georgia looks to be trying to run out the clock so I call goaline for the third time. However, they run playaction and heave a long bomb to the end zone and scores as Kirk basically laments that the game is over since its 24-9. Corso refuses to give up on me and I get a miracle Hail Mary with 1:03 left to a terrible TE and kick the extra point to trail 24-16. Then, I go for the onside and somehow manage to recover and the crowd suddenly wakes up again. I heave another long bomb to my WR on the left side and he gets pushed out of bounds at the 14 BUT he does some stupid fucking celebration and that gets me a damn unsportsmanlike conduct call to send me back 15 yards to the 29. With a mere 26 seconds left on 3rd & 10 I heave a bomb to the endzone where I have THREE receivers against ONE defender but what happens? The GA defender PICKS THE BALL OFF and ends the game. I was so pissed. It was a great game but I was mad I lost since I really needed that game to improve my standing with the university who is (surprise, surprise) pissed at my performance.

Oh well, I've got Vandy, WKU, and Tennessee left and I can win at least 2 out of those 3 games.

As far as how the other teams are doing in my dynasty, #2 Notre Dame got beat by Navy (?!?!?!) so they are out of the chase for the title. #1 is Ohio State and #2 is Oklahoma which makes me laugh because it seems that regardless of which NCAA game I play (2002, 2003, or 2004) Oklahoma is ALWAYS in the title game or at least in a BCS game. I remember in 2004 that it'd be Miami-Oklahoma every year almost.