TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Urban Warfare

NCAA Football 07

Didn't happen when I was using Clemson's offensive book on the PS2.

Oh and after going 12-1 with my #2 Montana Grizzles and winning the Orange Bowl, I hit the mother of all roadblocks. My defense up and left me last season for graduation reasons. I head into the off-season trying to recruit many players to replace them. But apparently I'm not the place people want to play.

So I'm sitting with only 4 players about 70 overall, and the rest below for a defense. >_< Just after I threw for like 400-500 per game last season just to survive, I'm gonna hafta do it again. Dammit all. I barely won nearly all my games playing like that.

Guest NYankees

So a team that goes 12-1 and wins the Orange Bowl isn't a team that people want to play for? Sounds like a glitch to me.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Nearly all the ***** and **** ignored me in terms of interest. Especially the defensive guys even though I sold them on the fact they'd be starting (which was true). They didn't bite. Except the few that were from my pipeline states (and Canada).

I may be a 1-AA that got to play in the bigs, but dammit. I made a shitty team go 12-1 and I even beat up on some ranked teams to do it. Now I'm gonna be lucky if I survive. Well defensively. The offense is pretty much the same as last season so I'm gonna be good, but with a significantly weakened defence, I don't know how I can keep the shootout. It was like 50-40 wins. Ugh...

What is with all the fumbles in this game? Is it a glitch? Everyone in this game is fumbling everywhere.

Cover the ball. Problem solved. I'm dead serious. If you don't do it on higher difficulty levels you will fumble alot.

I think the problem is the way the whole prestige thing works. You can only go up one level at a time, so even if you just went 12-1, you probably only go from * to **. You did pick Montana for a challenge though, right? I mean, if you got tons of ***** recruits the next year, what would be the point?

I was expecting at least nabbing more *** than just 2 of 12. I had gotten 3 **** and the rest either 2s or 1s.

While Montana is a challenge and I love it, I'm just unimpressed that I can't at least score a ***** that is from one of my pipeline states.

I finished my current campus legend's career in NCAA, just in time for Madden tonight. When he first joined New Mexico State, they were ranked in the 100's. After he came aboard, they went 52-0, but failing to get to the national title game. My legend goes on to the professional level with over 20,000 yards passing and 227 TDs, 4 QB of the Year awards, 3 Maxwell awards and 2 Heisman trophies (finishing primary runner up the other two years). I also made my school's hall of fame.

What is with all the fumbles in this game? Is it a glitch? Everyone in this game is fumbling everywhere.

Cover the ball. Problem solved. I'm dead serious. If you don't do it on higher difficulty levels you will fumble alot.

Yep. It has become routine for me to hit the cover the ball button on offense when I see that I am caught.

I think I'll be needing to use the cover ball button now. I never did before, but my HB this season has fumbled 5 fucking times (6 if I didn't reverse one) in 2 games. I would put someone else in, but he's behind the shittiest run blocking line ever and the fact that I don't trust them kinda doesn't work.

Also my first game of the new season was just what I expected of it. I managed to beat Arizona State: 84-70. There was no defence in this game, only offense. And any defence immediately created offensive points. I got lucky that I won this one, because my defence actually played like a defense for 5 straight plays as I was gonna be down 38-30 at the half, but then I got 3 INTs that I scored TDs off of, a punt return for a TD, and an INT for a TD to go up 70-38. ...but as you can see, my defence then played like the shit they are and I just about lost.

It's hard to hit that button, hit sprint, and juke whenever you're on offense. Especially considering their location on the X-Box(A and Y). I tried to hit them both together and I ended up hitting X and diving instead of running.

Plus on default controller mode there is no cover ball button.

And I can't really hit the button when my WR is in the air catching a ball.

Also what's up with my points to buy pennants not appearing after I win them on Campus Legend?

Guest Princess Leena

Make sure to save your profile after you're finished with everything.

I noticed cover ball isn't on default either. That blows.

I just had this absolutely hideous 14-12 game with Boston College. For some reason, I could not run. At all. They stopped everything I did. And they ran their crappy FB like every play on offense. Icky. Lucky to win.

So a team that goes 12-1 and wins the Orange Bowl isn't a team that people want to play for? Sounds like a glitch to me.

That is most certainly not a glitch. Why would all the ***** players flock to Montana of all places? A college not in the BCS, and not on national TV. Plus I'm sure his prestige rating is still only a C or B.

It makes perfect sense really.

Um... I was in the BCS and I WAS on National TV when I played Ohio State and beat them on the last possession and also when I lost to Texas on the last possession. And also was on regional TV for nearly all my games as soon as I got into the top 25, with a few satelite spots.

And my prestige is now ** out of ****** possible, so yeah if its banking on that it sucks. And I'm currently 2-0 record after defeating the #1 Seminoles (who had a depleated o-line). Currently heading into my return match against the now #1 Ohio State with the hopes I can keep up my offensive ways (170pts in 2 games). But considering I took Ohio State to a last play possession win, and my while my offense is pretty much the same, my defense is in shambles (I'm ranked 97 in passiing defense), I'm not liking my chances against them. Unless I get a gift like the Seminoles depleated o-line, I'm gonna be screwed here.

^_^ I've also got this 5* wide receiver who's highly wanting to join my team because he loves my style of play. <_< ...cause I'm throwing 500 yards per game might be the reason.

Guest Princess Leena

It's probably due to prestige, and your defense blowing. I remember after my 1st year, which I had a top run defense, and about last pass defense... no secondary players wanted to go near me, but I could fairly easily get ***-**** LB/DL.

Switched to multiple D and it helps with the Nickel packages. I run Utah's offense, just because it rules.

Well I got bored with Nebraska quickly and decided to start a new campus legend at Louisville. I was trying to decide between Louisville and Miami and I decided to be a QB at Louisville and a RB or WR at Miami.

I only like taking the zero to hero route on Dynasty since I have a hand in everything.

On campus legend I can't really control who they recruit...can I?

It's probably due to prestige, and your defense blowing. I remember after my 1st year, which I had a top run defense, and about last pass defense... no secondary players wanted to go near me, but I could fairly easily get ***-**** LB/DL.

So having bad secondary makes no one want to go near me. Hm... That makes sense then. Would also explain why this 5* receiver is loving my throwing for nearly 1000 yards in two games. But also hurts trying to get recruits. Dammit, why couldn't I negotiate for a shorter contract than 6 years? Dammit all.

Switched to multiple D and it helps with the Nickel packages. I run Utah's offense, just because it rules.

What do you mean multiple D? I'm not sure I understand this terminology. And how good is Utah's offense playbook and can you explain?

Well I got bored with Nebraska quickly and decided to start a new campus legend at Louisville. I was trying to decide between Louisville and Miami and I decided to be a QB at Louisville and a RB or WR at Miami.

I only like taking the zero to hero route on Dynasty since I have a hand in everything.

On campus legend I can't really control who they recruit...can I?

Don't remember being able to do anything concerning that for Campus Legend, no.

So having bad secondary makes no one want to go near me. Hm... That makes sense then. Would also explain why this 5* receiver is loving my throwing for nearly 1000 yards in two games. But also hurts trying to get recruits. Dammit, why couldn't I negotiate for a shorter contract than 6 years? Dammit all.

What do you mean multiple D? I'm not sure I understand this terminology. And how good is Utah's offense playbook and can you explain?

Yeah the recruiting's a bit odd, but also true to life. If you're a 5* WR, would you want to go somewhere like Air Force where they run the ball 90% of the time? Nope. So, a balanced offense will help you get a balanced class. But, it's harder on defense. If you're got a weak pass D, top secondary players won't give you the time of day for the most part simply because you're not good at what they do. It's kind of a vicious cycle unless you manage to either a) get good enough that everyone wants to come to your school or b) improve your seconday (spring game, off season training, etc.). Since I start off with cupcakes, I usually have to take option a.

"Multiple D" is one of your options for your defensive playbook. It allows for a broader spectrum of plays across all the defenses, but it doesn't specialize. For instance, I run a 4-3. I have some options when I choose to run a 3-4 defense, but it's not very in depth. If I choose "Multiple D", I get more options in the 3-4 but give up some of my 4-3 defenses, since there's only so much practice time in a day to learn all the defensive schemes.

At least, that's what it looked like to me when I took a look at the Multiple D playbook. I'm just a died in the wool 4-3 guy myself though despite running a hybrid 3-4/5-2 in college. Just didn't like being a blocking dummy for the linebackers.

I like to run a balanced offense, but when I'm throwing 500 yards a game, I think any receiver would love to play for me. My QB crossed the 2000 mark in 4 games played.

Multiple D is? I'm running 3-4 and I don't ever remember seeing a play scheme like that.

I personally just run zone defense with a small dose of blitzing. Works just as good ... most days.

As for secondary, I think I'll just grab some great WRs and transform them over to secondary type players. Its not like I've got anything to lose doing that, besides their ranking and at least they'll be better than what I've got.

And that 5* receiver is looking like he'll be choosing my college, which is awesome, cause he's #1 in the Nation and I took him on a whim because I figured if I could draft at least him, it would open up more 5* during the off-season.

Also, is it just me or if you've got a gamebreaker at DE and you nail the QB just right, he's gone for the game? I did that and it was smooth sailing for my team against #3 Ohio State (thought they were #1 but they aren't). I tweaked it so the backup woudl have a chance (not that he needed it) but when the guy gets 10-12 seconds to throw, he should be able to make a pass.

My game against #1 Oklahoma was harder. I barely won that 65-55, and that's only cause of a phantom pass interference call that set up the winning TD. At least my schedule from here till my rematch against the Longhorns is pretty easy sailing. But I'm only #18 in the league after beating the #1, and I was #20 before. I'm pissed at the ranking, but frankly, considering my team, I'm lucky they are moving me closer to #1 at all.

I think the best D in the game is 4-3 cover two with the middle linebacker as a spy. You absolutely destroy the running game. Plus if you use the ends like I do, you can get a very good pass rush going. I usually only switch to Tampa cover 2. But I usually stick with that same D. Of course I gave up 220 passing yards a game this last season with my all freshman secondary, but I gave up like 28 rushing yards a game.

It's usually pretty easy to stop the run on these games no matter what defense you use. I think it's been that way, at least since the Madden 64 days. The vast majority of the time, it's all about stopping the passing game, and for that, you need a lot of nickel and dime.

Blitzing's actually more important than it seems on this game, because while it's tough to actually get sacks on any kind of regular basis, if you hurry the QB, he's much, much less accurate, and more likely to throw INTs or at least incompletions.

Guest Princess Leena

Yeah, even with dime defenses, you can stop the run decently. And usually when I'm in 3-4 or 4-3, teams can pass quite easily on me if I don't get quick pressure. So, I usually stay in nickel or dime unless it's an obvious running situation.

Utah's Offensive Playbook has a lot of shotgun formations, 4 WR, 5 WR, usually with only 1 back. It's got some cool Option Passes that once I figured out the timing are just brutal on most defenses. If you have a fast HB you can just destroy people by doing a couple of pass plays in a row then running the Quick Option Run play, and timing the pitch right.

Its always been like that, even since the Madden 92 days, once you figured out the unstoppable plays.

I tried to start a dynasty with Baylor but it was just too hard. They have no o-line so I can't run the ball and my QB has no time to throw and they suck at defending the run.

I'm so used to winning at this game that losing drives me over the edge and I just can't play. Plus if I try to sim the season I still end up with a losing record and I don't want my coaching dynasty tarnished from the get go.

I might try a Washington State dynasty though. They're a little bit better and i like the silver and red color scheme. Plus I've never really played in the PAC 10 and I want to establish a power running game wherever I play since I'm using the spread and flinging it everywhere in my campus legend.

Why no one would want to come to Montana? Answer...you're Montana. You had a year that could be dismissed as a fluke.

It works true to life. Kids are going to go to the schools they know are consistently on top and on tv and will give them a spotlight. You had one season of greatness, you want the recruits? Do it again.

Just like real college football.

Guest Princess Leena

You have to do it again and again and again, though... which does kinda suck. While the realism is good, the bias towards top schools was put a bit too high in this year's version. I'll take that over how it used to be though (be any team, schedule all 1-AA schools, go undefeated and Top 5 year end at least).

I tried to start a dynasty with Baylor but it was just too hard.

The game isn't that easy when you're not a top school. For a better challenge, edit all OU players not A-Pete, 20 points lower than USC players.