TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vivalaultra

Your Mother's Taste In Music

Latin electronic music. She still goes clubbing at the age of 45.

Also, plenty of Motown.

When my sister was 3, back in like...1987, my Mom bought her this...uh...baby Journey shirt and had her wear it everywhere. Yeah...my Mom thinks Steve Perry is great. She also likes The Dixie Chicks. And she really likes Pearl Jam...and uh...she really liked Yankee Hotel Foxtrot until it got to the "noisy" parts. My Dad's a big fan of John Prine, but this thread isn't about that.

All that needs to be said is that my mother's favorite movies are Dirty Dancing, Hairspray, Grease, and That Thing You Do. Gee, I wonder how I was exposed to so many oldies.

Guest CWMwasmurdered

The Beatles, The Ramones, Nirvana, Metallica, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Fleetwood Mac, and Johnny Cash.

Guest Coffey

Country like Patsy Cline, Randy Travis & Garth Brooks. She's big into Aerosmith & The Eagles as well. I think her favorite band is the Bee Gees though.

...and because favorite movies were brought up, my mom like The People Under the Stairs, Face Off & The Long Kiss Goodnight.

My mother used to listen mostly to 80s synth pop sort of things, but nowadays she listens to hip hop for some reason. She will also listen to Radio Disney and when they play Christmas music during the holidays, she won't listen to anything else.

Guest Felonies!

Il Divo. Boz Scaggs. Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook series. There are four. HOW.

I remember she picked me up from school one day last year and asked if I wanted to hear the new Il Divo album. I thought she said Devo, so I got really excited. Boy, was I wrong.

My mom's not a big music listener. She's big on conservative talk radio (ugh). She did like The Monkees & The Beatles when she was younger, though (she grew up during the rise of Beatlemania, so I'm guessing it was more of a "cute guys" thing for her rather than music quality). I'm pretty sure she's got some Beatles vinyl records somewhere (White Album for sure, a couple others).

My mother's current favorite song is Honkytonk Badonkadonk..she's a big country fan..

I really really really really wish I didnt know that. She's 54 years old for crying out loud, and I was the unfortunate person that had to "try" and explain what badonkadonk means..image that...

My mom actually likes Interpol and Radiohead. She doesn't like Zeppelin though, which causes her to lose points.

She also doesn't like Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, which helps her gain points.

My mother used to listen mostly to 80s synth pop sort of things, but nowadays she listens to hip hop for some reason. She will also listen to Radio Disney and when they play Christmas music during the holidays, she won't listen to anything else.

You're mom has fucking awesome taste in music.

Pick your random shitty "singer/songwriter" of the month, throw in some awesomeness in the form of Tom Petty, and a little 90's alternative pop like The Cranberries, plus an unbridled love for U2, and you get my mother.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Only bands we like together are Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, George Thorogood & The Destroyers, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Bon Jovi, Van Morrison, Charlie Pride, Dillinger Escape Plan, Metallica, and just recently Lacuna Coil.

So not too bad.

rare_orbison2.jpg

My mom listens to one of the many, many local country stations and nothing else.

Classical Music, The Postal Service, Eric Clapton, The Beatles, Earth, Wind and Fire, and some Johnny Cash...

She used to listen to Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Hendrix....but she is pushing sixty, and she has to mellow somewhat.