TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UseTheSledgehammerUh

The Worst Wrestling Show of All-Time

First off, Nitro, Smackdown, Thunder, Raw, and Hardcore TV don't count. They're free.

Only counting WWF/E, WCW, NWA, and ECW Pay-Per-Views.

Also, weigh in the prestige of certain events and what should have been expected. i.e. "SummerSlam is the second biggest show of the year and Diesel/Mabel was a slap in the face to the fans."

Give solid reasons for your picks and list your Top (Bottom?) 1-3. If you haven't actually seen the show, don't vote for it.

I'm popping in KOTR '95, which I was at live, but haven't ever watched on TV. I was bored out of my mind there as a youngster.

Certainly the horrible matches, combined with the strength of the talent involved going out 1st round (Michaels, Taker), as well as the tarnish on the crown that wouldn't be saved until Angle won it in 2000 and DID something with the KOTR victory, are examples of why this show is just horrible.

And Tatanka main evented.

With Nash. And Sid. IN PHILLY.

My personal list:

3. King of the Ring 2002/Bad Blood 2004. I was at both of these shows live. The best part of KOTR 2002 was the Rock/Booker/Goldust skit. RVD/Jericho was OK, not good enough to offend Jericho. Flair/Eddie was crap, and UT v. HHH was a slow death, but not as slow of a death as...... Bad Blood 2004, with 50 minutes of slow death in the HBK/HHH Hell in The Cell match. It was better than '02, but I just wanted to vent about the HIAC match, and that the Columbus crowd was unfairly shit on by people on the Internet. HBK & HHH must have spent at least 15 of the 50 minutes laying on the mat.

2. Starrcade '94. Vader v. Hacksaw Jim Duggan for the U.S. Title may have been the best match of the night. Here's the whole card, keeping in mind Starrcade was WCW's big event.

US Title Match: Duggan v. Vader

Alex Wright v. Jean-Paul Levesque

TV Title Match: Johnny B. Badd v. Arn Anderson (Honky Tonk Man walked)

Nasty Boys v. Harlem Heat (I can't remember if this was for the tag titles, it didn't affect the match quality.)

Mr. T v. Kevin Sullivan

Sting v. Avalanche (John Tenta)

WCW World Title Match: Hulk Hogan v. Brutus Beefcake

1. Road Wild '98. Not only was this PPV during WCW's late summer-early fall stretch where they obviously did not care about the PPV's. Your card.

Meng v. Barbarian (The Faces of Fear Explode!)

Public Enemy v. Alex Wright/Disco Inferno

Saturn v. Raven v. Kanyon

Rey Mysterio Jr. v. Psychosis

Stevie Ray v. Chavo Guerrero

Steve McMichael v. Brian Adams

Chris Jericho v. Juventud Guerrera

Battle Royal w/Goldberg, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Konnan, Curt Hennig, Sting, Scott Norton, Lex Luger & The Giant

DDP & Jay Leno v. Hulk Hogan & Eric Bischoff

Good thing Road Wild was on a Saturday Night because it seemed like a TBS show. I'm pretty sure that WCW only announced the Main Event, Battle Royal, Jericho/Juvi, and 3 Way Match before the PPV started. Oh well, I guess that makes me stupid for ordering it......

Starrcade 97 deserves some mention. Obviously, there's the huge letdown with the ME that everyone knows about, but that overshadows the rest of the crap on this horrible show. Here's the card.

Malenko vs. Eddie (Looks good on paper, but a very subpar performance)

Giant vs. Nash (Nash no shows, you know the drill)

Steiners and Ray Traylor vs. Norton, Vincent, and Savage (No explanation necessary)

Steve McMichael vs. Goldberg (No explanation necessary)

Benoit vs. Saturn (Extended beatdown on Benoit by the Flock)

Luger vs. Bagwell (15+ minutes... Think about that)

DDP vs. Hennig (Boring)

Zybsko vs. Bischoff (No explanation necessary)

Hogan vs. Sting (Hogan dominates, "fast" count, politics, ruining 18 months of build, and so on)

Starrcade 97 was that bad. Not one match broke the *** barrier.

At least JD 02 had a decent HIAC (even if HHH won) and RVD/Eddie.

Top 3 worst for me are

Uncensored 96'

Two marginally all right mid-card matches topped off by the worst main event in the history of all professional wrestling that has occured or has yet to occur

Great American Bash 1991

The show which is mentioned by most as being the worst of all time. I've only ever seen the VHS Release which is edited, but still really really bad. I've heard the original PPV airing is even worse

King of the Ring 2000

Even a vastly overrated Angle vs Mcmahon match couldn't save this dog. Largely forgotten due it's lack of any significance whatsoever. The most important part of this show is the early foreshadowing of the political power Triple H would later wield, as he loses the World Title without even getting pinned. This show may not be as overwhelmingly bad as KOTR 1995 or 1997, but this one just sticks out in my head as being really really bad.

Angle/Shane took place at KotR 2001. Which makes the 2000 show even worse.

Yeah, you're right, my bad. That Shane vs Angle match is is abotu the only bright spot on the 2001 show too.

KOTR 95

If there's ever a night where I can't get to sleep, I just pop in this tape, and I'll be out by the second match. It's that boring. The main event is bad enough as Sid & Tatanka vs. Diesel & Bigelow, but the fact that they jip you out of a meaningful finish is absurd. Yeah, so Tatanka got pinned, but if there actually was anyone who wanted to see this match, they wanted to see Sid & Diesel, which I may be wrong, but I can't remember them having much contact in the match. Then there's the worst tournament ever: HBK (who should've won), Undertaker, Yokozuna, and Razor Ramon (due to injury) all eliminated in the first round. With the past two tournaments featuring possible winners like Bret, Owen, Bigelow, Perfect, and Razor after the opening round matches, I can only imagine the confusion when the Semi-Final round featured Mabel, Savio Vega, and jobber Roadie. The best match of the night is between Savio and Roadie, BTW. I think it's safe to call this the worst WWF show ever.

KOTR 99

Hot off the heels of red-hot Greater Power angle comes KOTR 99. I'd call this tournament one of the worst, but at least everyone in the tournament was in the upper mid-card. MOTN honors go to the Austin-McMahons ladder match, which would probably end up around **, if you want a star rating. We're still not sure who moved the briefcase, but we can probably assume it was the Big Boss Man. This is also deep inside the Russo era, where a lot of matches last under 5 minutes, so you have at least three tournament matches around that time. Big Show & Kane have a slow match that results in a two minute chokehold to finish. Road Dogg & Chyna have a really boring match that is made up of clever spots such as Chyna applying a sleeper... but Road Dogg reverses into a sleeper of his own! Billy Gunn & Kane have a horrible Semi-Final match. The winner of the tournament: King Ass. The Rock & Undertaker almost never have any good singles matches, and this was no exception. The only thing this show has going for it is that Steve Blackman almost makes it into the main event.

KOTR 2000

There are a lot of bad KOTR shows. You had Angle, Jericho, Benoit, & Eddie in a tournament, and all but one are eliminated in the first round. The tournament needed to be rearranged, anyway. Everyone knew that either Angle or Jericho was winning, so instead of the finals, it was put in the first round. To be fair, Angle-Jericho and Eddie-Val are both good matches, but those are the only ones. This whole show felt like an extended Raw or Smackdown. Every match in the tournament except the latter two were under or near five minutes. The main event of the show was a six-man tag team match that saw the Rock regain the title by pinning Vince McMahon rather than HHH. The Dudleys had been feuding with DX for nearly two months, trying to put Tori through the table. DX won the table match at Judgment Day.. and they win again at KOTR? At least the Dudleys still got to put Tori through the table. Then there's the Patterson-Brisco evening gown match. Really, besides Angle-Jericho in the first round, the only other match that was even remotely PPV quality was DX vs. the Dudleys. This ruined the string of good PPVs the WWF was having at the time, also.

And yet people still say they want KOTR back on PPV...

KOTR 95

KOTR 99

KOTR 2000

And yet people still say they want KOTR back on PPV...

All three are very bad/good choices.

I think people want the tournament back more than anything, but WWE has consistently shown they cannot book a tournament the right way if their lives depended on it.

1. Bash 91 - I've stated my opinions on this atrocity more than once.

2. KOTR 95 - Aero summed up this one nicely.

3. Uncensored 95 - The King of the Road match, Macho Man winning a no-DQ match by DQ, Badd vs. AA in a boxer/wrestler match, Flair in a dress, and Hogan winning a strap match with Vader by dragging Flair to all four corners. Doesn't get much worse than that.

Great American Bash 2005 and Royal Rumble 2006 offered absolutely nothing. Survivor Series 2005 was pretty awful as well with a negative star WWE Title match.

Negative star title match at S. Series 2005? I think it was Angle/Cena right? That wasn't too bad of a match.

I actually can't comment on some of this since believe it or not I've managed to avoid GAB 91 and KOTR 95. Here's some crap, or at least PPVs that pissed me off to no end.

1. Fall Brawl 98. This show needs more mention in terms of truly hideous PPVs. This was the first WCW PPV I ever got too, and it really sucked. The Wargames was pathetic, no Flair (he returned the NEXT night), and maybe one decent match with Saturn/Raven.

2. We follow up with Halloween Havoc 98. This had a very good card on paper going in, so what do we get? Bret/Sting sucked and disappointed. Hogan/Warrior was a debacle. And get this: The PPV went off at 11:00 and I missed some of the show.

3. SuperBrawl 1995. I actually bought a rental of this from a store that was closing. This show really, really sucks. As in not memorably bad or anything.

Hell, at least those Uncensored shows are so bad they are funny.

Angle/Shane took place at KotR 2001. Which makes the 2000 show even worse.

Yeah, you're right, my bad. That Shane vs Angle match is is abotu the only bright spot on the 2001 show too.

The main event of that show was awesome outside of the crappy finish.

I always liked KOTR 99. Hearing JR call HHH a "no good, lousy, sonuvabitch" during his run-in on Taker/Rock was worth the money alone. AND there was a Chyna match! Case closed.

Anyway, for worst shows, Bad Blood 03 deserves a mention (anyone remember the Redneck Triathlon?). Save my beloved Chyna/Jericho match, Survivor Series 99 absolutely bored me to tears. And I nearly quit watching ECW after seeing Wrestlepalooza 98. That show was just horrible.

KOTR 95

KOTR 99

Bad Blood 2003

Unforgiven 2003

Armageddon 2003

GAB 2004

NWO 2005

GAB 2005

I actually find Bad Blood 2003 a bit of a guilty pleasure. Hell, Nash vs. HHH in the HIAC was a pretty solid main event. I'd take it over either the Jericho or HBK matches with HHH in the HIAC. Besides, that show has the hilarious moment of Steiner slipping off the ring apron vs. Test.

Armageddon 2003....yeah that one was a piece of shit. Evolution won every belt on that show.

1. Fall Brawl 98. This show needs more mention in terms of truly hideous PPVs. This was the first WCW PPV I ever got too, and it really sucked. The Wargames was pathetic, no Flair (he returned the NEXT night), and maybe one decent match with Saturn/Raven.

2. We follow up with Halloween Havoc 98. This had a very good card on paper going in, so what do we get? Bret/Sting sucked and disappointed. Hogan/Warrior was a debacle. And get this: The PPV went off at 11:00 and I missed some of the show.

I disagree with Havoc... Yeah, it was bad overall, but DDP/Goldberg and Jericho/Raven put it above all the other shows mentioned so far.

I do completely agree with the Fall Brawl mention. Raven/Saturn was pretty overrated, and the only other passable match involved Silver King. Jericho mocking Goldberg's entrance was funny, but not the fact that there was no actual match between the two. Then there was Buff faking a neck injury leading to yet another Steiners no contest. The opener was 10 minutes of boredom. Miller/Smiley was on the card for some reason. And the WG match was atrocious. The rules made no sense and it was poorly executed on all fronts.

Another show I have to mention is Uncensored 1999. That might be my favorite bad ppv ever, just because it's so over-the-top ridiculous, yet has enough action to kinda be entertaining. Stevie/Vincent is awful and has the worst "unintentional heads colliding" spot ever. Flynn vs. Oono/Cat is bad with a dumb finish. And Hogan/Flair tops their Uncensored 95 effort for most nonsensical finish ever...

Try to grasp this: Leading up to the show, the match was billed as a cage match with barbed wire on the top. As soon as the show starts, they add a first blood stipulation out of nowhere. During the match, Flair gets busted open about halfway through, but the match continues. Eventually Flair locks in the figure four and wins by pinfall in a first blood match where he is the only one bleeding.

What sick minds have to be in charge to come up with something like that?

It was truly one of the strangest match endings ever. And to make it worse, Russo wasn't even in WCW yet.

Another show I have to mention is Uncensored 1999. That might be my favorite bad ppv ever, just because it's so over-the-top ridiculous, yet has enough action to kinda be entertaining. Stevie/Vincent is awful and has the worst "unintentional heads colliding" spot ever. Flynn vs. Oono/Cat is bad with a dumb finish. And Hogan/Flair tops their Uncensored 95 effort for most nonsensical finish ever...

I rented that one while there was a thunderstorm coming through the area. It's a shitty, shitty PPV. Nothing on the entire show made sense.

Booking aside, Uncensored '99 wasn't that bad. Kidman/Mikey was a very good match, Rey/Nash was fun, Hak/Bam Bam/Raven was so over the top that it was entertaining, Benoit and Malenko vs. Windham and Perfect was pretty good, Booker/Steiner was okay, Saturn/Jericho was passable. Not a great show, but it doesn't make the top 10 of worst WCW PPVs, let alone worst of all time.

Fall Brawl '98 was pretty atrocious and New Blood Rising was one of the worst booked shows in history. Infact, any WCW PPV from 2000 could be considered.

My reason for putting Havoc 98 is because I was outraged that WCW was so stupid as to not inform the cable company they were going past 3 hours. It also has a bunch of pointless crap with the Nitro Girls dancing, stuff easily eliminated to pull it under 3 hours.

I tried to put stuff that was really bad and boring. The Uncensored shows are at least car wreck funny. New Blood Rising was a hilariously bad and really bizarre show, what with the Nash/Steiner/Goldberg "shoot" angle with them going against the booking.

New Blood Rising was a hilariously bad and really bizarre show, what with the Nash/Steiner/Goldberg "shoot" angle with them going against the booking.

"Nash and Steiner are going to have to improvise a new finish!"

Ugh...yeah, WCW just didn't get that we didn't want to be told what we were watching wasn't real.

Fuck you Vince Russo.

It was the booking of Storm vs. Awesome that proved he was incompetent. It was such a booking balls-up it defied belief.

The booking of that match really proved how fucking stupid Russo is. He put the most popular man on the show and had him work as a face. Not only that but he shoehorned Jaques Rougeau in as a special referee, with a whole bunch of crappy rules, and fucked up what should have been the easiest match on the card to book. Honestly, what the fuck was wrong with the guy? He was working for the WWF when they were doing the USA vs. Canada. He was there at In Your House: Canadian Stampede and still he manages to fuck it up. The guy is clueless.