TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

TWiB #6: May 8 - May 14

Anyone else remember how Yanks & Co. was convinced getting Johnson = World Series?

I think most of the Yanks + RJ = WS came at the 04 deadline when they didn't get him. I honestly believe they would have won the WS EASILY that year had they gotten him.

Tough loss, though not entirely unexpected. The Phillies have been ridiculously hot lately and Myers pitched another gem of a ballgame.

The Mets' defense really cost them in the last two innings. Victorino should not have scored, that ball hit by Ruiz should have been caught, and Abreu definitely should have been thrown out at first just now. No offense I can live with, but defense that loses games is really frustrating.

Three thoughts:

1) I love how the strike zone was markedly different for the Mets than it was for the Phillies. Plain as day, to the point that Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, and Gary Cohen couldn't help but call him out on it several times. High balls count as strikes against Kaz Matsui. Pitches over the plate don't count for Heilman. It could be a case of sour grapes, but it certainly seemed obvious to me there was something wrong with the home umpire.

2) The Bobby Abreu celebration is unwarranted. I know Al is going to call me out over this, but come on. He won the game on an error. Let's save the party for a time that calls for it.

3) You can tell which players on the Mets don't know the fundamentals of baseball. Aaron Heilman trying to field a ball that clearly belongs to Lo Duca? Lo Duca turning to tag out the runner at home very prematurely, letting a ball nicely thrown to him fall out of his grasp? These mental mistakes really cost them tonight.

It's amazing. Delgado is truly carrying the team at this point.

Hey, the Cardinals are getting shut down by the Rockies at home again. Great.

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot Albert was coming up. 3-run shot to put the Cards ahead 4-2. He is just awesome.

Guest Smues

Braves win 10-2 in Florida in front of a crowd of 6,079 I believe was the announced total. It really is Montreal V2.

1) I love how the strike zone was markedly different for the Mets than it was for the Phillies. Plain as day, to the point that Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, and Gary Cohen couldn't help but call him out on it several times. High balls count as strikes against Kaz Matsui. Pitches over the plate don't count for Heilman. It could be a case of sour grapes, but it certainly seemed obvious to me there was something wrong with the home umpire.

To be fair, Pedro was getting some borderline calls in his favor. But, yeah, some of those pitches from Heilman would've been called strikes if Pedro was throwing them.

I was a bit disappointed Abreu didn't take 1 for the team on that inside pitch. All he had to do was turn an ass cheek into that pitch, and game over.

Guest Brian

I don't know if it was going to go, but damn that was close. I was going pretty fucking wild.

Hey, the Cardinals are getting shut down by the Rockies at home again. Great.

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot Albert was coming up. 3-run shot to put the Cards ahead 4-2. He is just awesome.

Josh Fogg of all people. Very frustrating. When Pujols doesn't hit, the Cardinals don't score. That's the gist of this season so far.

Ew, Lofton did something really dumb. You don't run for 3rd right after the guy picks the ball up in shallow left.

They're going to win now, thanks to stupid plays by Houston.

Well, the 'Stros lost their 5th in a row. Even DAVE~! Borkowski gave up a bomb. Pettitte hasn't gotten into a groove yet. At least it looks like our hitting's coming back a little bit. Hopefully Buchholz can pitch well tomorrow and Lidge won't blow it. I'm not feeling like a Cubs fan yet. Mostly cuz we scored more runs tonite than the Cubs have in their last six...