TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

NBA Offseason Thread

Then the question remains about WTF the Hawks were thinking with that trade...

Maybe they wanted to minimize the bitching by the various ownership groups by getting things with little negative effect on the salary cap.

JR Smith seems to be endearing himself to everyone in Denver already...

He's comparing himself to Vince Carter, talking about bringing a title to Denver this spring, and trying to get a shoe deal for himself within 3 years.

Hell of an ego for someone who's come straight out of high school and has spent most of the time since on the bench due to personality conflicts.

JR Smith needs to drop the ego, because he has a helluva lot of talent.

Until a few days ago, I was wondering why the Hornets didn't get more for him, throwing him in as a party favor in the Brown-Chandler trade with the Bulls.

Now I realize why... it's impossible for most people to accept him because he has FredEx syndrome, in which a marginal-to-good player writes checks his ass can't cash and infuriates everyone around him.

JR Smith is a dumbass. Every team is going to be gunning for his dumb ass next year, if he ever gets off the bench.

What is going through the Atlanta Hawk's management’s heads? They gave up a sold player for potentially nothing of any value, depending on how that draft pick turns out. I know they have wanted to dump Harrington for quite a while but this move seems pretty terrible. They could have at least tried sending him to Seattle for Wilcox.

Atlanta had the potential to contend for a playoff spot next season, if they had a good summer. Apparently they aren’t trying to win.

Speaking of sucking balls, the Pacers just traded AJ for Darrell Fucking Armstrong. Meaning we're probably stuck with Tinsley for another season. I guess Carlisle's counting on Daniels to play a lot of PG, or something, but after the playoffs AJ had, they could have tried to get someone under 60 in exchange for him.

...AND they're letting Fred Jones walk to Toronto. WTF are we thinking? How do we trade Jackson now? So much for "the culture has to change", I guess.

Daniels has a big contract though; I think Croshere's expiring. He's atleast a servicable backup, and the Mavs had a bunch of guards. This one makes no sense to me. It seems like Josh Powell is involved too, and I could only guess that Indy thinks he can become a Ben Wallace type player for them or something.

Anthony Johnson for Darrell Armstrong is like the worst trade ever.

The official trade is Anthony Johnson to Dallas for Darrell Armstrong, Rawle Marshall and Josh Powell. So, it's a 3 for one. Marshall and Powell were both rookies on the roster last year and just finished summer league runs.

The Pacers are clearly attempting to revamp their entire roster. They must see something in the young talent to give up AJ for them. At first I thought they were crazy for not trying to keep Fred Jones and AJ, but now I'm just intrigued at what will happen next.

More fun with the NBA's favorite dysfunctional family

The reactionary nature of Madison Square Gulag suits has me wondering whether Walt (Clyde) Frazier will make it through the 2006-07 season.

Say what? How could any MSG suit even think of dumping - or dumping on - the Knicks' living legend? Well, in the world of James Dolan, Isiah Thomas and (Silent) Steve Mills, anything is possible.

Especially when it involves their fearless leader Stephon Marbury. Anyone in the organization who crosses him, or dares criticize him, is in for trouble.

Just ask Larry Brown.

There is a situation between Frazier and Marbury that has been flying under the radar, probably because not many people tune in to the MSG Network. Let's go back to July 8, when MSG aired a summer league game between the Knicks and Suns.

During this meaningless exercise, Marbury, who came to Las Vegas to "support" his team, joined Frazier and Gus Johnson at the broadcast table. Marbury must have thrilled Knicks fans when he proclaimed: "I don't have anything to prove to anyone. The only person I'm competing against is myself." I'm sure all NBA players also breathed a sigh of relief after hearing that.

Marbury, in an introspective mood, went on to alert viewers that he "became a man" during his public feud with Brown. "I was pro-active," Marbury said. "Somebody told me I went from Gandhi to Malcolm X."

This vivid imagery reflected the self-absorbed path Marbury was driving on. Perhaps sensing that, and not wanting the interview to degenerate any further, Frazier challenged Marbury. Clyde made an excellent point that needed to be made. He reminded Marbury that Brown had put the same kind of verbal heat on Chauncey Billups and Allen Iverson.

"(Brown) always tested guys," Frazier told Marbury. "That's what he was looking for. He wanted to see what you were able to come up with to be a man, to handle it."

Marbury developed a sudden case of amnesia.

"No, I'm not giving (Brown) that much credit," Marbury said. "I'm sorry, Clyde."

Instead of letting Marbury off the hook, Frazier dug in.

"Then where did (the motivation to become a man) come from?" Frazier, his voice raising, asked. "If (Brown) didn't do it...."

Marbury cut off Frazier. "No, I'm not giving (Brown) that much credit," Marbury said. "And I'm not even supposed to be talking about it. He doesn't get that much credit."

Sensing this confrontation could escalate, Johnson sounded relieved to go to commercial. Still, what viewers had witnessed was Marbury contradicting himself. Before Frazier even mentioned Brown, Marbury admitted the feud had helped make him a "man." But when Frazier said Brown had used tough love as a motivating force before, Marbury didn't want to hear it.

We already know Marbury does not like to be challenged or confronted, especially by Knicks broadcasters he knows he can control through Thomas and Dolan. Last season, Marbury confronted a couple of Knicks voices, who he believed had criticized him, and launched into an obscenity-laced spiel. Instead of chastising Marbury for his churlish behavior, Gulag suits ignored it. They simply looked the other way.

Make no mistake, under the current Gulag regime - especially with a desperate Thomas now coaching the Knicks - Marbury is going to have his way. If Marbury had any problems with Frazier's line of questioning, he likely has already alerted Thomas.

And if Marbury ever wanted Clyde out, there is no doubt in my mind Dolan and Thomas would grant him his wish.

For only in Bizzaro Knicks World would the suits jettison Frazier, a Knicks icon - a Hall of Famer - for telling the truth.

Just ask Marv Albert.

Guest Felonies!
...AND they're letting Fred Jones walk to Toronto.

Yeah, and all of these bastards have taken his place, he's forgotten, but not yet gone. And I'm sorry, Mr. Jones. And I'm sorry, Mr. Jones. And I'm sorry, Mr. Jones, it's time.

Fair enough. At this point, it's easy to believe anything that comes out of that organization.

btw, Powell and Marshall could be waived after the AJ trade is complete, and Darrell Armstrong said he's retiring after this season. Meaning we'll end up with nothing to show for a potential starting PG.

Devean George is likely to be headed to Dallas. Nothing beats getting Radmanovic with the full MLE. Also, I want a sign and trade with the Sonics for Wilcox, NOW.

Who on earth are you going to trade for Wilcox when Seattle can have him for under $4 million on a one-year tender this season? They certainly don't want Radmanovic back for more than they were paying him half a season ago, and they're probably the last team in the league you can give a project center like Bynum considering their past three drafts. I can't see them taking on 3-4 small contracts even though they could use more depth.

I guess the Salmons signing means Wells won't be back. Interesting to see where he lands. It would almost certainly have to be a sign-and-trade at this point.

Salmons not coming to Toronto ended up being great for them, because they got a better player for cheaper.

I think the Raptors will make the playoffs this year in a low seed(7th highest).

Here is problay what the line up will look like...

C - Rasho

PF - Bosh

SF - Mo Pete

SG - Anthony Parker

PG - TJ Ford

Fred Jones

Jose Calderon

Andrea Bargnani

Joey Graham

Kris Humphries

Jorge Garbajosa

P.J. Tucker

Who on earth are you going to trade for Wilcox when Seattle can have him for under $4 million on a one-year tender this season? They certainly don't want Radmanovic back for more than they were paying him half a season ago, and they're probably the last team in the league you can give a project center like Bynum considering their past three drafts. I can't see them taking on 3-4 small contracts even though they could use more depth.

I know. *Insert sad face here*

Does anyone have a clue to as what John Salmons has done to warrant a 5 year, $25.5 million contract? He averaged like 7 and 2 last year in 25 minutes per. Geoff Petrie said that he should be able to pick up where Bonzi left off production wise. Huh?

Salmons is a good player when he gets time. He does a little bit of everything, and can run the point a bit. I could see him averaging like 10, 5 and 5 or so.