TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

NBA Offseason Thread

I wasn't really looking forward to the matchup. You know I didn't really play a lot first game. I played like 20 minutes because I was in foul trouble. They stopped calling those fouls on me and I'm doing the same thing. He's a pretty good player. Like I said, I was a step slow today, I don't know why. My knee hurts or something I don't know.

Oh God. What a baby. Of course, I didn't post his stats from the other games (good stats), but this attitude is a little odd.

According to Stephen A. Smith

the 76ers would trade A.I. to the Clippers in a heartbeat if they gave up Livingston and Maggette.

As Clipper fan I find the trade intriguing but I don't think I'll do it.

Honestly, if I'm the Clippers, I make this trade. I know they have lots of good players that look tough to part with, but in exchange for game-changer like AI, I don't see how it's a bad deal. You lose Maggette? Meh, AI will cover the scoring loss and then some and you still have Tim Thomas to bring energy off the bench. Livingston is a little bit more of a blow, but he isn't as good as AI and there's always the chance he won't be as good as AI. You can draft another young PG, and if you can win a championship now, why not? The fact is, the Clippers need a superstar to reach the next level. Right now, they're a guaranteed 2nd/3rd round playoff loss. With a starting lineup of Cassell, Iverson, Brand, Kaman, and Ross or Thomas... Now that's a team that can win it all.

It also works out well for the 76ers because they get a good scorer and a possible franchise PG for many years to come. Letting Livingston, Dalembert, and that other AI develop together has potential. And they can't do a lot worse than they're doing now with Iverson, so why not try something else?

The worst part of the trade is dealing Livingston. Bill Simmons has me convinced that he's the next superstar on the team, but maybe Elgin Baylor and Dunleavy know otherwise.

I wouldn't do that deal. It throws off the whole chemistry that the team has developed and it won't take them any further than they got last year (AI won't push you past Dallas, San Antonio or Phoenix). Livingston is still developing into something special as well, and you don't cut bait for a couple years of Iverson.

I understand building for the future, but isn't the goal of every team to win a championship? Getting AI gives them a very good chance to do that now. It might be a setback in the future, but if they draft another PG, it won't be that bad... And hey, if they're struggling a little in 2010, they might be able to look back to 2007 when they won the title and be happy.

I'm telling you, putting either of the big trade prospects this summer (KG or AI) on the Clippers makes them a serious championship contender. The AI/Brand dynamic would be awesome, as defenses would be hard-pressed to double team either of them. Especially with other shooters like Cassell and Thomas on the floor.

As far as chemistry goes... Look what team won the title this year. It was a new-look Heat team that still had their superstars (Wade and Shaq) to build around. The Clips would still have Brand/Cassell (through Brand/Iverson sounds more appealing personally). You have some experienced guys that want to win a title on the Clippers, so I think people would learn their roles sooner rather than later.

In other news, the Rockets did wind up pissing Stromile Swift along with Rudy Gay away to the Grizzlies. Fuck our managment. Unless T-Mac (in 04-05 form) and Yao (in 05-06 form) can stay healthy all year, it's going to be a long season.

That would be too good of a trade for Philly to actually happen. Billy Knight is still their GM so he will of course give up Iverson for Jacque Vaughn and a pack of pink grapefruit mentos.

My prediction is that King panics and goes for the Denver "any two players but Carmelo" trade, thus defeating the whole purpose of trading AI. I think he will get scared and think he won't be able to sell a rebuilding trade to the fanbase (even though every sane fan is pleading for this route). So he will reshuffle some deck chairs, add a couple of veterans he thinks will catch the casual eye and stay in the tail end lottery/8th seed playoff dead zone.

Guest Princess Leena

the 76ers would trade A.I. to the Clippers in a heartbeat if they gave up Livingston and Maggette.

If the Clippers have that offer, I'd take it yesterday. While I'd hate to lose Maggette, because I love his slashing game, he's not the playmaker that AI is. And Livingston, meh, he's got promise but he'll always be a liablity on the offensive end.

But, I doubt anything happens with Cassell re-signing.

If I'm the Clippers, I'd take the trade, but leave Livingston out. Trade someone else like Simmons or Cassell.

I think Livingston is going to be a great PG for the years to come.

Bryan Colangelo to the rescue. The suns offered John fucking Salmons a 5 year 22 million dollar deal, but in swooped Toronto to overpay him even more. Thank you Bryan....thank you.

That's pretty bad considering they could've offered him alot less, and they have Joey Graham, who could develop.

If I'm the Clippers, I'd take the trade, but leave Livingston out. Trade someone else like Simmons or Cassell.

Yeah, and if I'm the Clippers I trade Quinton Ross straight up for AI. Oh yeah, and maybe throw in Waltah McCarty for Andre Iguodala.

:firing:

If the Clippers have that offer, I'd take it yesterday. While I'd hate to lose Maggette, because I love his slashing game, he's not the playmaker that AI is. And Livingston, meh, he's got promise but he'll always be a liablity on the offensive end.

How is Livingston a liabilty on the offensive end? He gets that offense moving. He just isn't a deadly midrange shooter like Cassell is.

Speaking of which, Gilbert Arenas talked about how he has been working on the international 3 pointer and taking hundreds and hundreds of shots a day from there that "Its like a free throw now".

Gilbert Arenas with a consistant midrange game is just scary to imagine.

How is Livingston a liabilty on the offensive end? He gets that offense moving. He just isn't a deadly midrange shooter like Cassell is.

Speaking of which, Gilbert Arenas talked about how he has been working on the international 3 pointer and taking hundreds and hundreds of shots a day from there that "Its like a free throw now".

Gilbert Arenas with a consistant midrange game is just scary to imagine.

He is already scary. He can take a game over like many of the modern great guards did or still can(Iverson, Kidd, Bryant, Reggie Miller).

He's going to win a few MVP's before his career is finished.

Not if he doesn't add some weight and stop getting injured. Plus he is getting injuries like shoulder bruises and thigh brusies...the type of injuries that come from not being big enough to take the banging.

Simmons couldn't go because he's been on the Bucks for a year, but I get what you are saying. Cassell, I wouldn't part with. I like all the guys on the Clippers and I think Shaun Livingston will be big in the league, but without Cassell, the Clippers would not have been in the playoffs last year. If he had left this offseason, I think they would've been dead in the water. His role on the Clippers this year was very similar to Nash on the Suns, IMO.

Not if he doesn't add some weight and stop getting injured. Plus he is getting injuries like shoulder bruises and thigh brusies...the type of injuries that come from not being big enough to take the banging.

He proved he was in the elite class last season alone. He is a franchise player, end of story. He avg. Just under 30 PPG, and only missed 2 games. Every year he gets better, just look at his stats. He has alot of heart.

Being first in the NBA in "minutes played" isn't a good thing. They aren't going to get that much better in the East without more help in the backcourt and that will take time. They have one too many scrubs under long-term deals and that will affect their chances of retaining Caron next summer. If Caron leaves, Arenas is right fucked.

Every year he gets better, just look at his stats.

A steady climb in minutes on a team marginally improving is bad. He can't improve his game that much more without players keying in on him. He definitely needs another shooter to keep the defense honest.

For some odd reason I thought you were talking about Livingston in that he is already scary thing...sorry.

As for Gilbert, yes, he is scary but he has a few holes in his game. Like a, he isn't a point guard so they should stop that lie and get a defensive point to play along side him or better yet, a shooter at the point. (Chucky Atkins was a good fit for the Wiz, they just didn't use him correctly). Second, He needs a player that demands a double on his team. I know there are all of 3 big men in the league that demands a double these days, but they need to find one. I think they should be making a push for Al Harrington, a guy that can score on the block one on one against most anyone and can force teams to double.

Basically look at miami and Washington and the only difference is that Miami has a guy in the post that gets double. Gil can get anywhere on the court he wants to, is a better shooter than Wade and can take over just like him. The make up of the team is just wrong.

Lawrence Frank is a better coach than Jordan though.

In your opinion, but as a Nets fan, I strongly dissagree.

Despite what you may think, Eddie Jordan had more part in the Nets succes then Byron Scott. Even ask Jason Kidd. His system that he build around Kidd with the fast break was awesome. He's very good about keying in on his stars players succes. Look at Arenas.

Frank is good no doubt, but I just feel his time has ran up, and we should get a new coach.

Last year was like his 2nd full year, and his time is up? Frank plans better than Jordan, and runs better offensive plays than him as well. He's a better defensive coach too, as evidenced by how many points they allow compare to the Wizards.

I think that Jason Kidd being about 10 steps slower has more to do with New Jersey's new found fast break slow down than Lawrence frank. plus you have to say that the Nets had much better front court presense in the Scott/Jordan years. I personally think that Frank is getting all he can out of the team that has been put before him.

Jordan on the other hand has Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler, Antwain Jamison, and a very capable defensive front court and can't win consistantly throughout the year.

The Bulls have agreed on a deal with Adrian Griffin. Once the Chandler deal is finalized, the Bulls will trade J.R. Smith to the Nuggets for Howard Eisley and two second-round picks. They will then waive Eisley to sign Griffin.

Lawrence Frank is a better coach than Jordan though.

In your opinion, but as a Nets fan, I strongly dissagree.

Despite what you may think, Eddie Jordan had more part in the Nets succes then Byron Scott. Even ask Jason Kidd. His system that he build around Kidd with the fast break was awesome. He's very good about keying in on his stars players succes. Look at Arenas.

Frank is good no doubt, but I just feel his time has ran up, and we should get a new coach.

Are you retarded? He's coached 2.5 years, and got a Nets team with no bench to 49 wins. His time hasn't ran up at all, as Ripper said, he's doing the best he could with what he's been given.

And Frank's a better coach then Jordan, I love the Nets, but the years they made it to the Finals were awful years for the East.

The Bulls have agreed on a deal with Adrian Griffin. Once the Chandler deal is finalized, the Bulls will trade J.R. Smith to the Nuggets for Howard Eisley and two second-round picks. They will then waive Eisley to sign Griffin.

Wanna bet Eisley gets picked up by Utah for the 5th time just "because he knows the system?"

From looking at his numbers, that's about the extent of his appeal. Only 39% shooting in his two seasons, but did improve his 3-point and FT percentages.

In other news, the Wizards will sign Darius Songalia at 5 yrs/$23 million. That's not too bad yearly (not even the full MLE), but I'm not sure about the five-year part.