TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

NBA Offseason Thread

Pacers also get John Edwards in the deal, which was basically just more salary-dumping by the Hawks.

Now we've got Wells, Evans, and KVH, then you start scraping the bottom, pretty much.

No, the Knicks have got that title locked down for at least the next three years.

My problem with the Harrington issue, and the team in general, is that we wasted no time dumping AJ for a bunch of scrubs and letting Fred Jones walk for nothing, but it's taking weeks to agree to this deal for a draft pick. There's been so much talk about changing the attitude of the team, and all we've done is dump the guys who actually busted ass and played hard all year (AJ, AC, Jones, Pollard), and keeping around the whiners (Jackson) and injury-prone guys (Tinsley).

Its not like anyone would be willing to take Jackson or Tinsley at this point. They traded who they could trade, although that AJ trade was just freakin retarded. Tinsley will probably get hurt because someone looked at him too hard leaving whats his face to be the starting point. ANd last I checked he was demoted to third string last year.

Guest Vitamin X
Zach Randolph is being investigated for sexually assault.

lol jailblazers

I understand what you're saying, Ripper, but it bothers me a bit that there was no effort even to try to move those guys. If I read one article saying "the Pacers called teams about Jackson/Tinsley, but received no interest", that would make me feel a little better, because at least they acknowledge that those guys are problems.

And I'm still not sure why Carlisle suddenly stopped playing Jasikevicius in the second half of the season. I hope he's changed his mind for this season, because we're *really* going to need his shooting.

I understand what you're saying, Ripper, but it bothers me a bit that there was no effort even to try to move those guys. If I read one article saying "the Pacers called teams about Jackson/Tinsley, but received no interest", that would make me feel a little better, because at least they acknowledge that those guys are problems.

And if Jackson and Tinsley catch wind of the fact that they're being actively shopped they become even bigger problems, and their value around the league gets even lower.

Can't have it both ways.

Not to just pick on the Pacers though. THe Hawks could have traded harrington for a first rounder with the same restrictions that the Pacers have placed on theirs (nothing inside the top ten) and still have gotten a contract year player that could help the team and still have the same amount of cap space at the end of this year. Instead they took a shitty draft pick for a guy that half the league was tripping over itself to get. Fucking Billy Knight.

Even Al Harrington has been quoted as saying that Indiana really got over on the Hawks on this one.

I guess Portland was tired of the Cincinatti Bengals getting all the negative news lately and wanted to get their position of Most Dysfunctional Team back. To think they gave that clown 6 Years/$84 Million.

While I think that Randolf is a piece of crap, that is some bullshit reporting by the portland papers. When they put he is being investigated for Sexual assault in the headlines but you read the article and the cops say "He could be a suspect...he could be a witness...we don't know right now". Always trying to be the first to get a story I guess.

Harrington is very close with Antonio Davis, and said Davis told him he'd like to come back to the Pacers. Donnie Walsh said he'd be interested in bringing him back. Davis said it's unlikely he'll play another season, but if he does, he'd like to go to the Pacers, or the Bulls.

Doug Christie is trying to make a comeback, and three teams have shown interest in him, according to HoopsHype.

Dajuan Wagner has drawn interest from five teams. This one came from the Philadelphia Inquirer, so presumably the Sixers are one of them.

Speaking of Phila, I'm a Webber fan, and I hate to see him suffering with that godawful team... I was kicking around this trade proposal, and I was wondering what other people thought of it:

Philadelphia:

Chris Webber

Louis Williams

Portland:

Zach Randolph

Raef LaFrentz

Phila starting lineup:

Iverson

Iguodala

Korver

Randolph

Dalembert

Portland starting lineup:

Jack

Webster

Miles

Webber

Magliore

Would you do it, and would either team actually be better off?

I live in Portland and (mildly) support the Blazers, but I wouldn't do that deal this summer, but I'd maybe consider it next year as a salary dump. The Blazers have turned over like 75% of their squad during the offseason. Even though I hate his contract, Randolph is still the best player on the team and I'd like to see how he gels with the new guys going forward.

Webber was my favorite player growing up, but he's just not an elite player anymore. I usually don't buy into the notion of "empty stats", but if their was ever a player who embodies that it would be C-Webb. It's like the skills are still there, but he's so broken down physically that the entire offense has to die just for him to get his looks.

Looking from the Sixers point of view, not a chance I do that deal. At this point the best thing they can do is just ride out Webber and Iverson. Rebuild once those contracts are cleared, don't drag out the process by moving them for longer deals.

I don't feel sorry for Chris Webber in the slightest. He could have opted out this summer if he wanted another chance to win a title. Instead, he chose to "suffer" with his $20 million. Fuck him.

As for the trade...come on, how do you not take that if you're the Sixers. Raef's deal is only a year longer than Webber's, and just because Randolph is a malcontent in Portland doesn't mean he'll be one everywhere. A change of scenery may do him good. Look at Rasheed Wallace. Iverson and Randolph, with Raef and Korver to spread everything out, that's killer. And how about driving the lane and finding Dalembert AND Raef both waiting on you?

Randolph will be a malcontent anywhere he goes. That is a FACT. The Blazer might consider that trade if Webbers contract was really short and they would certainly try to package D Miles.

Rasheed is still an asshole (also one of my favorite players) and he still smokes weed and talks shit. The only difference now is that he lives in Detroit, the former murder capital USA, where there is actual news to report and 3 other major sports teams. He isn't under the media scrutiny he was in Portland. Also there are more large black people in Detroit so he doesn't stick out as much and he did help bring a title to the city so that gives him a little bit of a pass as well.

Since being in Detroit, Rasheed hasn't been a problem amongst his team, and has had no trouble with the law. That's what I was referring to when I said malcontent. As long as he continues that trend, he can burn out from sunrise until sunset for all I care. Same with Damon Stoudamire. It's not a FACT that Randolph can't turn out the same way.

I am more along the lines of nogoodnick's thinking. It certainly isn't a fact he will go anywhere and be a nutjob, but with his contract I would not be willing to risk it. Looking at it, that is a very polarizing trade.

If you think Randolph is salvagable, it is a deal you jump on yesterday.

If you don't, you avoid him like the plague.

Not really much middle ground, IMO.

Since being in Detroit, Rasheed hasn't been a problem amongst his team, and has had no trouble with the law.

The only difference is a charge for driving without a license, and marijuana possession. Possession charges are more common in the NBA than flagrant fouls. That just shows how stupid (or bored) you are to get caught with it. The basic premise of Rasheed's antics are still the same in Detroit. He still leads the league in techs. He still instigates fights. He still flaps his gums at the media. Nick is right - the only reason those charges are unique to Portland is because it's Portland and they have little else to concentrate on besides their precious Blazers.

Randolph has: got busted in high school for shoplifting, possessing and selling stolen guns, underage drinking (not really a big deal), sucker punched a teammate in practice, received a DUI, was present when his brother shot someone, was recently involved in a street racing incident while high with guns in the car, smokes weed, and is involved in this sexual assault incident. While it may not be a fact that he can't be salvaged, the evidence just keeps building. I've also been hearing that he's into coke and got a stripper pregnant.

Harrington is very close with Antonio Davis, and said Davis told him he'd like to come back to the Pacers. Donnie Walsh said he'd be interested in bringing him back. Davis said it's unlikely he'll play another season, but if he does, he'd like to go to the Pacers, or the Bulls.

Doug Christie is trying to make a comeback, and three teams have shown interest in him, according to HoopsHype.

Dajuan Wagner has drawn interest from five teams. This one came from the Philadelphia Inquirer, so presumably the Sixers are one of them.

What team is Dajuan currently on?? I had high hopes for that prick. Dissapointig!

Randolph will be a malcontent anywhere he goes. That is a FACT. The Blazer might consider that trade if Webbers contract was really short and they would certainly try to package D Miles.

Rasheed is still an asshole (also one of my favorite players) and he still smokes weed and talks shit. The only difference now is that he lives in Detroit, the former murder capital USA, where there is actual news to report and 3 other major sports teams. He isn't under the media scrutiny he was in Portland. Also there are more large black people in Detroit so he doesn't stick out as much and he did help bring a title to the city so that gives him a little bit of a pass as well.

LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

Wagner was out of the league last season, he played the previous three seasons for Cleveland (drafted 6th overall in 2002). He was a really good scorer when he was on the court, but he had injuries early on, and only played in 11 games in 04-05 due to various illnesses. The Cavs didn't exercise their option on him, and it got so bad that he had to have his colon removed during that offseason. I hope he gets back, I think he can be a great player.

Guest Vitamin X

Looking forward to seeing the Warriors do great in the regular season only to stumble in the playoffs now!

Former Cav and Laker, he played for the Bobcats last season. He's an athletic slasher who's a good 3 point shooter and decent rebounder/defender. Perfect fit for the Suns who'll just ask him to run, slash and spot up for 3s. He's kind of like an extremely poor man's Shawn Marion.

He is a great rebounder for his size though. I guess this officially means that Eric Piakowski is going to be the official towel waver with Pat Burke.

Lets see:

Amare Kurt Thomas

Boris Diaw Either Sean Marks or James Jones

Shawn Marion Jumaine Jones

Raja Bell Leandro Barbosa

Steve nash Marcus Banks

I likes that. I likes that alot.