TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WON News and Notes, 8/5

This ECW deal is sounding more promising every week. It really should be taped after Smackdown, not before it though.

Moving Coach to a managerial role is a great move. Have him talk it up how he's the Coach and Shelton is the most gifted athlete so it seemed like a natural fit and he's gonna coach him and make him unbeatable, then trial it in a feud with Haas or Carlito with the IC title. Have RVD boost the title's credibility for a bit, then give it to Haas as a sign of respect before he leaves for ECW. Haas says he'll defend it against anyone any time and Shelton rips on him, saying he doesn't deserve it etc. Carlito tells Shelton that he's not cool, and he wants a title shot from Haas.

Y'know, I just got the new Hardcore Homecoming DVD, Novemeber Reign(which I'm almost certain is missing at least one match, there's no mention of Team 3D at all and it loooks to be coming in at under 2 hours) and I'm wondering if Vince might at least partially be bringing back ECW to try to kill the HH shows, maybe?

Some people involved are very excited, while others think that if the idea as it is currently structured will start off hot because of the name but cool off fast.

I think that's exactly what will happen to this whole ECW rebirth thing.

Thanks for posting all that info. Oddly enough, one of the things that brought the biggest smile to my face while reading that was Paul Heyman wanting to bring in Kevin Fertig to ECW. I LOVED Fertig as Mordecai back in 2004, and I would kill to see him back, especially if he was motivated by Paul Heyman to get over some of his supposed stage fright. I hope he makes good on his second chance if he is offered one.

I'm sure Championships won't be involved until ECW goes off on it's own, but I would love to see WWE steal Rhyno away from TNA and have him back to "reclaim" his throne as the ECW World Champion (since he was the last) to finally put over new Champion RVD.

I haven't agreed with many of the things that Vince McMahon has been doing as of late, but since he is gung-ho on making the new ECW suceed, I am all for it. I just hope he will eventually decide to allow the ECW guys to work the true balls-out full-speed-ahead ECW style instead of the watered-down Attitude era hardcore match style that I have heard will be required of them.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Ken Kennedy is being considered for a top heel spot in ECW

Cool. I'm all for Kennedy getting any kind of push.

Guest Macaroni
Heyman and Dreamer have differing ideas about the project, with Dreamer wanting to relive ECW as it was, while Heyman feels the nostalgia act will have too short a shelf-life, pointing to TNA as an example of failing to build brand loyalty by using retreads on top (Jeff Jarrett, Christian, Dudley's, Nash, Steiner and Sting) and doing nothing in four years to differentiate themselves from being just a secondary wrestling promotion, as well as missing the boat by not putting Samoa Joe, AJ Styles and Abyss as the top three stars.

This quote above all else gives me hope for the new ECW. As long as Heyman can convince Tommy that his vision is wrong, we'll be good. TNA's mistakes will be hopefully be ECW's gains...

In fact, I think the very beginning of the first ECW broadcast should have Heyman in the ring, who proceeds to tell everyone that while we'll never be able to truly re-live the magic of the old ECW, we can carry on with the principles it stood for, with a new generation of talent. Or something like that.

Guest NateW

I don't think there's really any hope for the new ECW as long as the roster consists of washed up ex-ECW stars, no talent muscle head hosses from developmental or jobbers from the main roster. For this "new ECW" to work they need to develope new stars and the new stars need to be the type of wrestlers form the indy scene that WWE ignores. These WWE cookie cutter types just won't cut it.

Guest Coffey

I don't know about that. People like Sandman and New Jack were the biggest stars in ECW and they're terrible. Hell, Justin Credible had a huge reign with the ECW Heavyweight Title. ECW was notorious for taking "jobbers" and making people care about them. That's what Heyman does.

I'll give that much to Heyman. There is probably no one better at discovering a wrestler's strong points, then building on those, while doing an EXCELLENT job of hiding their shortcomings, and making them into credible stars. He did it for WCW and WWF jobbers in Justin Credible and Jerry Lynn. In 2002, The Big Show was nothing more than a jobber on Heat, even losing cleanly to Matt and Jeff Hardy on seperate occasions. Then when Heyman got behind him, within 1 month he was shipped to Smackdown and in the World Title picture. He then ended the title reign and undefeated streak of one of the most dominating monsters the WWF had ever seen, Brock Lesnar, and looked convincing in doing so. I'm looking forward to seeing what Heyman can do with a new generation of future stars and underused talent.

Guest NateW
I don't know about that. People like Sandman and New Jack were the biggest stars in ECW and they're terrible. Hell, Justin Credible had a huge reign with the ECW Heavyweight Title. ECW was notorious for taking "jobbers" and making people care about them. That's what Heyman does.

ECW would make people care about certain workers that didn't a chance with the "big 2". Maybe they didn't have the "right look" or they weren't "big enough" or have the roided up pretty boy bodybuilder look. I don't think people would accept an ECW with the new stars being these Snitsky, Chris Masters, Gymini or Great Khali types. ECW will need these type of wrestlers that are high flyers, harcore brawlers or ring technicians. From what I have seen and heard there are not that many workers in WWE developmental that work these styles. Not too mention that most of them are green and are only being taught the WWE style.

ECW would make people care about certain workers that didn't a chance with the "big 2". Maybe they didn't have the "right look" or they weren't "big enough" or have the roided up pretty boy bodybuilder look. I don't think people would accept an ECW with the new stars being these Snitsky, Chris Masters, Gymini or Great Khali types. ECW will need these type of wrestlers that are high flyers, harcore brawlers or ring technicians. From what I have seen and heard there are not that many workers in WWE developmental that work these styles. Not too mention that most of them are green and are only being taught the WWE style.

Which is why Heyman will be pushing Punk to the moon because Punk has all the tools and he can do so many things in and out of the ring. Promo wise, Punk's a master at working the crowd as a heel or a face. In the ring, Punk can do the mat wrestling (he's improved since his legendary series with Joe in 04), Punk can brawl and he can work a WWE style match as well. It's very rare for a development company to have a talent with even 1/2 of Punk's skills.

Punk, would hate this comment but it's true that Punk will be the Raven of ECW 2.0.

Michael Cole is the new managing editor of the WWE website. The previous guy, Chris Chambers, was replaced after getting into trouble for, amongst other things, putting up that Hunter and Stephanie were expecting (seemingly because the company don't think fans know they are married), as well as not having an understanding of knowing what and what not to put up, such as showing 'injured' wrestlers being all ok, or wrestlers out of character. Cole got the nod because it's felt he'll have a better understanding of what to put up and what not to put up. The site will have more worked storyline news up.

I thought Chris Chambers died in a lunch line trying to seperate 2 guys from fighting. He was stabbed in the neck and almost died instantly.

That's what my Uncle Gordie Lachance said.

Michael Cole is the new managing editor of the WWE website. The previous guy, Chris Chambers, was replaced after getting into trouble for, amongst other things, putting up that Hunter and Stephanie were expecting (seemingly because the company don't think fans know they are married), as well as not having an understanding of knowing what and what not to put up, such as showing 'injured' wrestlers being all ok, or wrestlers out of character. Cole got the nod because it's felt he'll have a better understanding of what to put up and what not to put up. The site will have more worked storyline news up.

I thought Chris Chambers died in a lunch line trying to seperate 2 guys from fighting. He was stabbed in the neck and almost died instantly.

That's what my Uncle Gordie Lachance said.

I don't think so. If that was the case he wouldn't have been able to be one of the top wide receivers in the AFC last season.

I can see The Sandman being one of ECW biggest stars... but New Jack? He was good for about 10 minutes to fill a gap in a house show or a match, other than that, probably one of the worst wrestlers in ECW history.

Suddenly all the wwe.com weirdness is explained.

I can see The Sandman being one of ECW biggest stars... but New Jack? He was good for about 10 minutes to fill a gap in a house show or a match, other than that, probably one of the worst wrestlers in ECW history.

He was one of the more identifiable figures in ECW, whether you like him or not. He was the epitome of the "extreme" side of ECW.

He was one of the more identifiable figures in ECW, whether you like him or not. He was the epitome of the "extreme" side of ECW.

I would consider The Dudleys, Sabu, Funk, and Dreamer the more "extreme" side of ECW over New Jack. Like I said, he was just a time killer.

I would consider The Dudleys, Sabu, Funk, and Dreamer the more "extreme" side of ECW over New Jack. Like I said, he was just a time killer.

Hit people with strange objects and fall from high places = "extreme". New Jack = King of hitting people with strange objects and falling from high places.

Hit people with strange objects and fall from high places = "extreme". New Jack = King of hitting people with strange objects and falling from high places.

New Jack was one of the faces of ECW. He was always in their photo ads in wrestling mags, and him jumping off stuff onto people was always in the highlights of ECW packages. Sure he was filler, but the man was O-V-E-R in Philly.

I agree too, but wasn't Kennedy somewhat lined up to be a top Smackdown heel already? Either way I'll enjoy it, but this is the first ECW news that has caught me a little off-guard since the initial announcement.

I agree too, but wasn't Kennedy somewhat lined up to be a top Smackdown heel already? Either way I'll enjoy it, but this is the first ECW news that has caught me a little off-guard since the initial announcement.

I think Heyman worked on the Kennedy ring announcing shtick in OVW although I'm not sure. I personally think he would be better off on Smackdown. The only people that I'd move to ECW are those who have been severely damaged in WWE and need new starts. For instance, I'd put someone like Matt Hardy in a heel role for ECW. Others would be Steve Regal, Eugene, the Bashams, maybe a repackaged Val Venis? I'd like to see every cruiser there but that won't happen, I'm hoping they put Jamie Noble there however. Maybe Snitsky in a 911 type role, or better yet, Matt Morgan? I also think they really need to re-sign Daniel Puder.

They ran with three touring groups twenty years ago, it should be even easier now.

And they can afford it. No question.

It's the only way this will work long term.

When "Natural Born Killaz" hit over the Pa at the 'ol Bingo hall, and New Jack came out with his cart ful of weapons....the place always went nuts..

He may be a terrible wrestler but the guy was OVER like almost no one else on the ECW roster...

Ken Kennedy as a top heel in ECW? All of that hope I had for this to succeed has suddenly disappeared.

Why? Kennedy could be this ECW's Shane Douglas, but with more in-ring ability. He has shown the ability to get under people's skin, and get over on the mic. He would fit well.

Kennedy actually could bring in some of those "main stream" fans since his voice is recognizable, and if the ECW die hards shit on his Kennedy... Kennedy stuff, so much the better, he just keeps doing it to piss them off.

He's really a viable option for top heel.

Ken Kennedy as a top heel in ECW? All of that hope I had for this to succeed has suddenly disappeared.

ripped from what i said to malibu:

Hells yeah! At least Heyman knows what the gimmick is about. Puder/Kennedy and Jeter/Kennedy were awesome combos.

I hope they will be allowing the occasional Piledriver. If they were to sign Justin Credible, what else would he use as a finisher? The WWE-ized "That's Incredible" (suplex flapjack)? That would get shit on by the ECW crowds pretty quickly.