TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vivalaultra

School Bans Cell Phones in NY

Guest Smues

I fully support that ban. I was lucky enough to graduate high school before most kids started having them in class.

Hell, my wife is in grad school, and she has this one night class where almost every night, someone's phone goes off.

Ban 'em, I say.

No need for a cellphone ban. That's just overboard. Theres a difference between them being a MAJOR distraction, and people just not liking them.

No need for a cellphone ban. That's just overboard. Theres a difference between them being a MAJOR distraction, and people just not liking them.

Truth. OMG we agree on something.

I don't have a problem with cell phones in schools if they're used appropriately. I swear, my college classes get interrupted daily with these loud, obnoxious ringtones. In one of my English classes, every five minutes this dude's phone would start playing "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp". Good song, but still...distracting. If people would just leave them on vibrate I wouldn't have a problem, and I don't think, on the whole, High School kids are mature and responsible enough to have Cell Phones, especially when they should be focusing on learning. If they're so worried about getting in touch with their parents, aren't there like...family plans where the family can buy a phone that can just dial out to the parent's cell phone number or something of that nature? I remember when I was in High School, pagers were banned and most of the kids wouldn't wanna carry cell phones because they were so big and rectangular. The times, they are a-changin'...

If teachers in HS actually started taking the phone away for a week when it went off during class, it wouldn't be a problem.

You know, students do have lunch where they can call who they want.

They shouldn't call people during lunch. They should be forced to hide from bullies and talk about people wearing second-hand clothes and smoke cigarettes in the bathroom and all the stuff that kids go to school for.

Guest Felonies!
There isn't a single reason a kid needs to have a cell phone at school.

Not one.

I'm against cell phones, but I'm for sticking it to the man. Now what I do?

Disprove of the ban without using yours in class. Duh.

Me? This is tricky. I'd rather something like extreme penalties for allowing it to be a distraction. Also, parents are buying these for their kids, but not telling them how to properly handle this new tool (since that's what it really is). Cellphone education and dire penalties for infractions. Y'know, like automobiles, another tool that is also a little too accessible in this country. Allow the schools to determine the penalties and offenses.

Guest Felonies!

Yeah, I'm also against indiscriminately banning CD players and iPods. In class, yeah, that's a problem, but if you just want to listen to music during your study hall or free period, who gives a shit? It's more than likely that the school is covering its ass in case they get stolen.

Just about everyone around here has a cellphone, from 6 to through college. Just the dumbasses aren't smart enough to slient the calls. Or jesus, turn the fucker off. But the ban them, silly, because people do need rides home, what are they going to do smoke signals?

And before anyone says payphones, almost all of those in CT are gone, because everyone has a cellphone.

As for Ipods and other like players. Gym, Studyhall, weight lifting, lunch, I am cool with those places. But durring class, thats dumb. However, kids are more likely to stay quiet with music then annoy the class because they rather not be there.

Exactly. This won't effect anyone using their phone the right way. They won't know its there.

If the cell is only for emergency, then keep taking it. IF an emergency comes along and your phone rings, fuck the school...its a goddamn emergency.

I still say there's no reason for kids to have cell phones at school. If there's an emergency, their parents can call the school and have the kid sent down to the office.

I still say there's no reason for kids to have cell phones at school. If there's an emergency, their parents can call the school and have the kid sent down to the office.

The same could be said of your cell phone while you are at work, but i will be fucking damned if my job was to tell me that I couldn't bring a cell to work.

The same could be said of your cell phone while you are at work, but i will be fucking damned if my job was to tell me that I couldn't bring a cell to work.

I don't think you understand the difference between high school and a job, or the difference between children and adults.

Guest Princess Leena

I fully 100% agree with this ban.

And I think it needs to be stretched to colleges, as well. It's just as much of a nuisance trying to get to your classes when these assholes take up all the space in the hallways talking silly talk with their retarded friends on the phone, and can't pay attention to anything going on.

And as for driving... seriously, throw fuckers in jail if they're talking while driving.

Guest wildpegasus

Man, people are spoiled these days. Cellphones are a luxury that costs money.

I don't think you understand the difference between high school and a job, or the difference between children and adults.

He's right, as far as teachers having cell phones goes. The teacher shouldn't be allowed to interrupt the class for their own personal issues if the student can't.

Cell phones and beepers were considered contraband and carried the same penalty as drug and weapon possession (arrested and expelled) when I was in high school, and as I understand the rule never changed. They used to pull us into the office if they seen phones in our cars (as well as tobacco products).

For the record I graduated high school in 1999 to give a point of reference on the rule.

Guest Felonies!

Oh, fuck that. Cell phones are not on the same level as weapons. Jesus, what a dumb school. Like I said, I onlysupport these things out of spite for idiotic front offices of high schools.

Not every call that you have to make is an emergency though. I call bullshit on not allowing cell phones period. Now, not allowing them in class, that's a different story. Leave them in your locker during class, and discreetly use them if need be in between class. That's what we did at my high school, and it worked out fine.

I-Pods and that kind of shit is more of a problem than cell phones, distraction wise. Shit, half the kids in my class in high school would listen to music during class. Hardly anyone was texting people.

He's right, as far as teachers having cell phones goes. The teacher shouldn't be allowed to interrupt the class for their own personal issues if the student can't.

That kind of goes without saying. Same goes for teachers checking their personal e-mail. Class time should be time devoted to helping students, not for personal matters.

Not every call that you have to make is an emergency though. I call bullshit on not allowing cell phones period. Now, not allowing them in class, that's a different story. Leave them in your locker during class, and discreetly use them if need be in between class. That's what we did at my high school, and it worked out fine.

If they need to call their parents to check something, they can do it from the office. Who else could they possibly need to call during the school day? Everyone else they know should also be AT SCHOOL. Students are not entrepenuers. They are not doctors. They are not lawyers. There's simply no need for students to have cell phoes at school. We didn't even HAVE cell phones when I was in high school (this was the early 90s before they were widespread and affordable). We didn't have iPods either. Since there's nothing about either device that's necessary for school, I don't see why students today feel they are entitled to use those things at school.

In addition to there not being any reason to let students use cell phones, here's some good reasons NOT to let kids have cell phones at school:

-camera phones can be used to cheat

-text messaging could be used to cheat or harrass other students

-phones ringing is a disruption to class (despite in-class bans, it still happens)

-phones kept in lockers are targets for theft

-there's no way you can use a phone in between classes anyways, since most hallways are too loud during passing periods

-cell phones could be used for drug deals (yes, I know...high school kids would never buy or sell drugs, but I wanted to cover all the options here)